hard drive connected to airport extreme won't show up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipoddin, Feb 24, 2008.

1. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I formatted a 500gb usb hard drive and it shows up on the desktop when connected directly to the iMac. I connect it to the back of the airport extreme to use it as a network hard drive, open up airport utility, select disks and it doesn't show up. I've tried restarting the base station, turning the hard drive on and off, and still won't show up.

Any advice?

2. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

What kind of hard drive is it? Unfortunately, not all USB enclosures are compatible with Airport Extreme.

3. ipoddin thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

It's just a SATA 500gb hard drive inside an enclosure I bought. Why wouldn't all be compatible? USB is USB right?

4. thechiman macrumors newbie

I have this same exact problem. I have a Macbook running 10.5.2 and a non-gigabit AEBS with the latest firmware and the latest version of Airport Utility. I plug in my Lacie Porchse 500GB drive formatted DOS so that my PC can read it as well. I plug the drive into the AEBS and it just doesn't show up in the finder at all or under drives in the Airport Utility.

The thing is, it used to show up. Then I re-installed Leopard and now it won't show up anymore; not on my PC either. Any ideas?

Eric

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. Make sure you have disk sharing turned on with your Airport Utility.

2. Airdisk has been clunky since Leopard's release and I don't know if it's been fixed yet. I gave up on it and just connected my drive to my Mini and share the drive from it.

6. thechiman macrumors newbie

1. I do have disk sharing turned on.

2. I was using the airdisk under 10.5.1. Then I upgraded to 10.5.2 and it was still working, then I reinstalled Leopard and now it doesn't work.

Very perplexing...

7. bajorek macrumors newbie

When you reinstalled Leopard did you happen to erase the HD and format it again? (I'm not talking about your external HD). If so, what file system did you choose? I reinstalled Leopard before and I erased the disk and chose the Mac Extended Journaled Case-Sensitive format. That was a mistake. Not everything is compatible with this format. The format of the HD should preferably be Mac Extended Journaled. This may help.

8. stomer macrumors 6502a

My experience with HD enclosures is that they are not all equal. I have some enclosures that won't work properly with Linux. None of my 3rd party enclosures will put the drive to sleep after a period of inactivity.

The only enclosure that seems to work perfectly is the one that came with my Western Digital MyBook. The others were all rubbish.