Hard drive has completely gone - has no paritition or volumes to install OS X too

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazblair, Jun 14, 2014.

1. gazblair macrumors newbie

Hi All

Am in desperate need of help. Running a 2010 MBP 13-Inch 250GB. Accidentally let it the harddrive get too full and resulted in not being able to boot (Grey screen, spinning cog etc). Had this before so knew I could boot into safe mode and delete files etc but this time it wouldn't let me boot to safe mode.

Ran it through single user mode, the fsck was fine. Macintosh HD was working normally. Disk Utility verified the disk and said it was fine as well. Not sure what happened but the partiton/volume then changed from 'Macintosh HD to Disk0s2' and was not able to be mounted to show up when I push power button+option.

I was then able to actually delete the disk0s2 partition in hopes of creating a new partion via internet recovery mode (might I add that is all the system boots to now holding cmd+R), otherwise it is a flashing folder. I am unable to create a new partition and therefore my mac has become dead. I have heaps of data on HD which is more than likely gone but I would like to get my laptop working so any help would be appreciated .

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My first reaction is hard drive failure.

Try using Apple hardware test to confirm before you go out and buy a new HDD.

3. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers that's what I wasn't hoping.

How do I perform a hardware test and what should I be looking for in regards too HDD failure?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP wrote above:
    [[ Not sure what happened but the partiton/volume then changed from 'Macintosh HD to Disk0s2' and was not able to be mounted to show up when I push power button+option.
    I was then able to actually delete the disk0s2 partition...]]

Uh oh.
    I think you just -deleted- the partition that your stuff was on!

Ever head the saying, "a rose by any other name...." ??
    Even though the -name- of the partition had changed, what that name -represented- was still the "same as before". And you deleted it.

If you have any hope of getting that stuff back, I suggest you STOP USING THAT DRIVE RIGHT NOW (which means stop fooling with the MacBook until you get another drive). Anything you continue to do with it may "over-write" what's already on it, making recovery impossible.

If you were to put that computer into my hands, here is what I would do
    (ASIDE: this is going to cost you money and time.)

First -- you need ANOTHER drive to serve as a new boot drive. Might be time to think about an SSD. In fact, I would recommend that you put an SSD into it. I put one into my own 2010 MBPro, and it now runs better than new.

Second -- you need something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...6&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+sata+dock+uasp
    About $28 and the best money you'll ever spend.

Third -- you're going to need a data recovery app. Some that come to mind are DataRescue3, Disk Drill, Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery. All are free to download and run in test mode. You only pay the registration fee AFTER you have tested the software with your drive to ascertain if recovery is possible. (You can download this after you have the replacement drive up-and-running)

Fourth -- you're going to need the right tools to open the MBPro. You need a "00" Phillips screwdriver, and a Torx "T-6" driver. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER SIZES!
    You should also go to "ifixit.com" and check out the drive replacement guide for the 2010 MacBook Pro. (You can find the tools at hardware stores, or at Sears)

Also -- do you still have the original System DVD that came with the MBPro ?? You need "a boot source" and the means to reintall a copy of the OS (original OS with that one was 10.6.x)

What I would do when I had these items in hand:
    1. Put the SSD into the dock, connect to the MBPro (or another Mac, if available)
    2a. If on another Mac, initialize the SSD and install a copy of the OS onto it.
    2b. If on the MBPro, boot from the install DVD. DO NOT TOUCH THE INTERNAL DRIVE for the time being. Open Disk Utility and initialize the docked drive.
    3. Install a copy of the OS onto the SSD in the dock.
    4. When done, BOOT FROM the SSD by restarting and holding down the option key until the startup manager appears.
    5. If you get a good boot, go through the OS X setup process to create a new account.
    6. At this point, you might want to use Software Update to update your newly-installed OS to current
    7. Now, shut everything down, power off
    8. Now it's time to "do the drive swap". Using the ifixit guide, remove the back cover of the MBPro and change out the drives. This is actually very easy. Just be sure you take note of the three LONG screws on the back, and where they go. You don't even have to disconnect the battery cable.
    9. With the drives swapped out, reboot the MBPro. If you get a good boot, you're where you want to be.
    10. Now take the OLD drive, put it into the dock, connect the dock to the MBPro
    11. What happens now? I'm guessing it will mount on the desktop, but show as an "empty" drive.
    12. If by any chance your stuff "is there", now is the time to grab it!
    13. If your stuff is NOT there, next you need to try the data recovery software on the drive. I would choose the "deep scan" option -- be aware that this could take HOURS.
    14. What happens next? Get back to us....

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... I'm with T5 here. Sounds like you have a bad drive there. You can try something like Disk Warrior ($$) to see if that can recover anything. Beyond that if the data is really important there are companies you can pay to try and restore data, but it is not cheap.

Here is how to perform the Apple Hardware Test, but it does not necessarily tell you if you have a bad drive.

The fact that you can't even create a partition from Internet recovery pretty much says you have a dead drive.

6. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay at this stage all that I was upset about was losing all my music but that can easily be fixed. So basically a new HD would suffice? and if so what kind of HD should I get?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I like this one from WD, but they are really all about the same. Whatever you can find on sale.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're simply trying to replace the dead drive, that WD that Weaselboy suggested is a good choice.

I'd probably take an opportunity like this to upgrade to a SSD. I don't know what capacity you new but 250GB SSDs can be found for a pretty good price now.

9. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I had a spare HDD from a windows laptop. Popped it in and it recognised it no worries. SATA cable is fine then?

Proceeded to format it but for some reason it formatted to FAT32 and now it won't show in Disk Utility. Is there a way to reformat it back to HFS so I can reinstall?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When in Disk Utility go to the erase tab and select the drive brand name at the very top of the list on the left. Then select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the format drop down and name the drive then apply that change and you should be all set.

11. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes so I feel like I have sourced the problem. The SATA cable is faulty. I reconnected the HD and put tape between the cable and HD to force the pins to touch. HD appeared and wS able to reformat and install osx and use my laptop until the flashing folder appeared again. Thoughts? Safe to say it's the SATA cable?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This happens with the replacement drive you put in? Those cable do fail, but is it less common than drive failure. The real test would be to pop that drive in an external enclosure and see if it works okay there.

13. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it did that with the replacement drive. From what Iv read 2009-2010 unibodys show that is a common fault.

14. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

You need to change the Partition Map from MBR to GUID in Disk Utility (Via the Partition tab and options) as well.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I had forgotten about the SATA cable. Hopefully you can find a replacement!

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't. If you erase the whole drive like I described it will default to GUID.

17. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

Apologies, my mistake. I have always used the Partition tab and checked for GUID, I didn't realise the erase tab defaulted to GUID, provided whole disk selected.

18. gazblair thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey so I've replaced the hard drive and also the hard drive cable and had it working for about an hour. It froze and then the flashing folder appeared. Any ideas?

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Faulty HDD
    Faulty Cable
    Cable not installed properly
    Faulty controller on the Logic Board

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have a cheap external USB enclosure you can pop that drive in to test it out by option key booting to the drive?