hard drive is failing..where can I buy my same hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaggedstone, Oct 3, 2011.

1. jaggedstone macrumors newbie

Hey,
    So I think my current hard drive is failing. I'm trying to Google a replacement to hopefully receive before it dies :) BUT. I'm coming up with a few things that I'm not sure actually match the current hard drive that I have.

Can anyone tell me where to buy this:
    Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported
    Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00:

Capacity: 200.05 GB (200,049,647,616 bytes)
    Model: Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00
    Revision: DC4AC77A

Or an upgrade/similar hard drive that will work?
    I keep coming up with Hitachi Travelstar but I'm not sure if that's actually what I'm looking for...? I have a Macbook Pro from mid/late 2008, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks in advance!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why do you not think it is the Hitachi? When you Google the drive model, there are 1000s of links all pointing to the Hitachi so what am I missing?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The intel bit is the chipset. Intel does not make hard drives (only SSDs). What you do have is the Hitachi, but any 2.5" SATA hard drive 9.5mm thick or less will work in your computer. I'd suggest at least 500GB, as those are pretty cheap now. You can get up to 1TB if you like, but those are a bit pricer and there are only two on the market that will fit your computer.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Any 2.5" SATA drive will do it, just make sure the height is 9.5 mm or less to make sure it will fit well. Take this opportunity to upgrade to 320 GB or even 500 GB.

EDIT: beaten to the punch.

B

5. jaggedstone thread starter macrumors newbie

I kept seeing 0A50940, but I don't see that anywhere in my system profile..I'm just a bit paranoid that I'm going to buy the wrong drive

thanks everyone!

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try opening Terminal and run

Code:
    sudo diskutil info /dev/disk0 | grep Device
    post the output. :apple: has been using Hitachi drives for quite some time...

B

7. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Just fyi I would use this time to purchase a better HDD, not the same. They're dirt cheap nowadays.

I'm personally biased towards WD usually, but any 2.5" drive will do. I don't know what the current 2.5" offerings are, but I would avoid Seagate (again, personal opinion). If you have the $$ go for a SSD if you have the requisite external storage... everything will perform much better.