Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Why is the fastest hard drive available in a PB only 5400 RPM? I know that isnt very slow, but it certainly isnt fast by any means. I mean you could get a fast external, but that defeats the laptop portability. Is it the technical limitations on the design of the PB or what? Do you think Apple may include it on the next revision? I want, but compared to some Apps on a PM with a fast drive, I find the lag sort of bad.

joshua_msu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
chicago (formerly detroit)
Just as a side note, Ive been looking at many manufacturers configs, and many offer a 7200 RPM drive, even on mid level machines.

Is it really that hard to install a new HD in a PB. Will it void the warranty?

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
quite often the reason is heat! itcan be hard to keep it down especially in laptops

4200 are cool
5400 are warm
7200 are quite warm... i think the adverage of mine is like mid 20's - 30's? (i think)
10000 are HOT! and if you have ever had a 15000 well yeah (had one last year where the cooling fan died like in 10minutes after we setup the server we where just watching the temp and it went from 32 upto like 50 in 20 seconds. then smoke.... then dead...

although powerbooks have good heat disipation... unlike some, i think a few poeople have put 7200's in.. .have a search of forums or try xlr8yourmac.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.