Hard drive says that I have more movies than I actually do (I think)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RhiannonF, Oct 4, 2012.

1. RhiannonF macrumors newbie

So I finally got my external hard drive and backed everything up onto it. I deleted everything that I didn't need off of my computer and freed up a bunch of space but for some reason, it still says that I have 104gb of movies on my computer. I deleted a bunch that I didn't need and only got rid of about 10gb or so (which brought me down to the 104 that I'm at now). I really don't know what could be taking up THAT much space on my hard drive. I've searched through all of my folders to check for duplicates or anything that I might have missed but there's nothing. I've deleted most of the movies that I downloaded, most of the stuff that I had in iTunes, all of the files that I kept from switching computers...I can't think of any place that I would have 104gb of hidden videos...am I somehow looking in the wrong places?

As a side note, I don't have any other users on my computer. I deleted the other one that I did have to be sure that account wasn't the issue (and it apparently wasn't lol). Also, sorry if this type of questions has been posted before. I searched the threads and couldn't find anything.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

When you say
    "it still says that I have 104gb of movies on my computer" what does 'it' refer to?
    As for locating 'hidden' movies try Spotlight and type 'mp4' or whatever other formats you might have downloaded. I just now found eight movies I didn't realize I still had.

There is more than one Movie folder, check both iTunes and the one in User, plus your Downloads folder just in case.

And I recommend Disk Inventory X
    http://www.derlien.com/
    or an equivalent that makes it easy to figure out what files are taking what amount of space, and delete them accordingly.

3. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

I may be wrong but i just want to check. When you have searched for movies, you did eject/disconnect the external hard drive first?