Hard Drives firmware-limited to 3Gb/s for use in 2011 MBP optibay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gallion, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Gallion, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

Gallion macrumors member

This person claims that some of their hard drives, like this one have been firmware-limited for use in the optical bay of troublesome 2011 MacBook Pros.

I have a hard drive just like this one that I bought from somewhere else, without the firmware modification. I had initially intended to use in the optical bay before I discovered that it just wouldn't work because of the issue with the faulty 6Gb/s link in the optibay.

So my question is, is there such a firmware floating around on the Internet and is there a way that I can flash my hard drive with it or do anything to my hard drive that would have the same effect?

There is also this guy who claims that he bought a different data doubler and that he got his 6Gb/s SSDs to work with it. Would you happen to know what data double he is talking about?

2. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

I believe the 'other' optibay/MCE-bay/data-doubler that is claimed to work as SATA3 in the 2011-MBPs (15 and 17") is this from hardwork. The story is that there is some shielding required, and DIY solutions have been posted here and here. I have never heard of someone else having tried and achieved the same, though (but still looking, as I have a late-2011 MBP 15" myself - and consider a RAID0 with 2 SSDs as an option if it becomes too slow in its future).

As for some firmware: I never wrote down the links for theses discussions, but yes, there were instances where people had some newer SATA3 HDD that could be limited by a manufacturer-provided firmware to SATA2. I think it was for a Hitachi drive. The firmware wasn't easy to locate sometimes, not even from the manufacturer … . It's somewhere within the MR-forum.

Good luck!

3. Gallion thread starter macrumors member

I think I found it! Thanks a lot for the heads up!
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1584023

I can't try it now though, I don't have a CD burner anymore and my PC is monitor-less. I will post back on this thread once I've tried it to say whether or not it works.

4. ppeinado macrumors newbie

I have a 1tb 7200 HGST in the optibay. had to use the feature tool. it worked for me. good luck