Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Since iOS 9 (now on 9.1), anytime I do a hard reset or just simply turn off then turn on my iPhone 6, a lot of random apps appear in the back ground. I close them before I turn off my iPhone. Some apps show up that I haven't opened in a few days?

Just wondering if this is a bug and anyone else has this issue?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
All I see when I shutdown and start my device is an Apple logo. Perhaps you have some kind of graphics glitch.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
All I see when I shutdown and start my device is an Apple logo. Perhaps you have some kind of graphics glitch.
maybe I need to clarify or it's too early for some.

AFTER the apple logo shows up, AFTER I input my passcode and when I double click the home button. THAT'S when I see all the apps, in the app switcher.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
maybe I need to clarify or it's too early for some.

AFTER the apple logo shows up, AFTER I input my passcode and when I double click the home button. THAT'S when I see all the apps, in the app switcher.
Apps in the switcher are not running after a reboot. The switcher is merely a list of recently used apps at that point.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Apps in the switcher are not running after a reboot. The switcher is merely a list of recently used apps at that point.
yet they were closed prior to shutting off the phone, then re-appeared after restarting? like I mentioned, some that are showing up haven't been used in a couple of days. just weird to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
yet they were closed prior to shutting off the phone, then re-appeared after restarting? like I mentioned, some that are showing up haven't been used in a couple of days. just weird to me.
It's been like that for many since iOS 9 based on a few past threads about it.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
No reason to close the apps in the switcher unless they are misbehaving/frozen etc. It is a recently used list, and closing the apps doesn't help with battery. In fact, if the app requires itself to run in the background to operate then this action could actually REDUCE battery life as it has to reload itself into memory.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
No reason to close the apps in the switcher unless they are misbehaving/frozen etc. It is a recently used list, and closing the apps doesn't help with battery. In fact, if the app requires itself to run in the background to operate then this action could actually REDUCE battery life as it has to reload itself into memory.

I know some folks who close them every time the sleep their iPhone. I tell them all the time it will actually reduce their battery life.

my only concern was that I do it when I restart my iPhone or if one app isn't working properly, about 15 apps (and some that I haven't used in a while) show up. I don't get why they would or why any apps show up after I closed them. Is this an iOS 9 feature because I don't ever remember this happening in iOS 8.

Reactions: golfnut1982

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know some folks who close them every time the sleep their iPhone. I tell them all the time it will actually reduce their battery life.

my only concern was that I do it when I restart my iPhone or if one app isn't working properly, about 15 apps (and some that I haven't used in a while) show up. I don't get why they would or why any apps show up after I closed them. Is this an iOS 9 feature because I don't ever remember this happening in iOS 8.
More likely an iOS 9 glitch of some sort.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Been like that a lot longer than IOS 9, at least 7 if not earlier - I can't remember when it didn't.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Since iOS 9 (now on 9.1), anytime I do a hard reset or just simply turn off then turn on my iPhone 6, a lot of random apps appear in the back ground. I close them before I turn off my iPhone. Some apps show up that I haven't opened in a few days?

Just wondering if this is a bug and anyone else has this issue?

The ios app switcher is hybrid. it displays apps in frozen state (not using cpu, but ram is still reserved to it just in case you need to use the app again), active app and recent apps (like shortcuts). You're probably seeing the recent apps which I think do not get cleared on restart since they are just shortcuts.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I thought it was just me too.

I usually background close all apps before I do soft or hard reboot. But since iOS 9, I noticed after the phone powers up again, then I check the multi task, it looks like more than enough apps opened even though it just finished rebooting and I didn't manually start any apps.

I never noticed this on iOS 8, but maybe I just didn't pay attention that closed before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.