Hard time choosing a car when the Fiat 500 comes to North America!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 10, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

I would like to buy either one of these cars. I'm looking for an economical, fun, cheap car to replace my 95 neon sport.
    [​IMG]

A) Toyota Yaris

[​IMG]

B) 2005 Volkswagen Golf 1.9L TDI

[​IMG]

C) Fiat 500

[​IMG]

D) 2007 Mini Cooper:

[​IMG]

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Actually 4, Toyata Yaris, VW Golf, Mini Cooper, Fiat 500.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

He was pointing out your grammar fail.

I think you are going about car shopping entirely wrong, but that may just be me... How about you start with a budget? Then decide if you can buy new or used, then make a list of all the cars available in your price range that you think are reasonable and go from there. As it is now, you are all over the place with pricing.

EDIT: I forgot, in budgeting you have to consider the long term, too. One of the reasons I didn't buy a Mini is because of the premium gasoline.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

I do realize that he was making fun of the either, as either would be two, but anyways I would buy a car that is a buyback likely only a year old.

6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Although premium gas costs more, you can offset it by making your trips fewer/more efficient. I used to drive a diesel back when diesel cost more per gallon than gas and I would spend less per mile than my roommate even though my car got considerably worse MPG because I optimized my driving to waste less.

Things I'd consider in a car budget would be insurance cost, and cost of ownership (stuff like basic maintenance). Those would likely affect you a lot more that a few cents on premium gas.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

1) It was just an example
    2) Its more like between 5-10 cents :(

Year old cars are still going to vary widely in price. For example, a year old Mini is going to sell for more than many cars would new...

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The Mini is certainly fun, but it's not particularly economical, at least when compared to the other cars on your list.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well a mini isn't cheap, so thats off the list.

VW's (at least the ones I and family have owned) are generally expensive to fix and aren't super reliable. And diesel models in that year range I find to be too clacky. So that's off.

Fiat 500, while sweet, is new/not even out in NA yet is it?

Leaves me with a Yaris. They are cheap to buy and run (a year or two old model even more so). Toyota's have a good rep for reliability which helps balance out the more expensive parts vs. domestics.

Maybe look at a Honda Fit as well. I know several people with them and they swear by them. TONS of room for a small car too.

Mind you, that's based on personal experience/hearsay and money says many others will have the opposite thoughts :D

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

MINI will be most fun to drive. It has awesome handling capability, like driving a go cart. I have a John Cooper Works and love it, even though I had an M3 before. I track my MINI too, and last time out I lapped BMWs all weekend.

Attached Files:

11. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

500s are great.
    New minis feel heavy and sluggish after driving a proper mini.
    Golfs are solid cars, 1.9 diesel will be sloowwwww though.
    Yaris is a bit weird, I don't like them.

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It's more like 25 cents difference where I live :(
    But if you're going to spend on a car that needs premium, you should be ready to support your purchase.

I definitely agree with buying used - you get the best value for money.

I have to agree, 500 looks the best.

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If that's a picture of your car, I'm guessing you're in America. So you've probably not driven a Fiat 500 of any sort, let alone the Abarth, which definitely gives the standard Cooper a run for its money in the fun department.

The Yaris is the sensible choice, the Golf is the wrong choice, the Mini is a fun choice and the 500 would be my choice. I know a few people who have recently been looking for a new car and chosen the 500 over a Mini after taking them both for a test.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I would be interested in testing an Abarth. I know of the car, but have yet to see one, since they aren't here yet.

Yes, that's my JCW. It is surprisingly quick and powerful, but it's also the top of the MINI line ($35K).

I still plan to go back to an M3. Would like one of the newer E92 Coupes with the double-clutch gearbox.

15. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I think the Fiat Nuova 500 Abarth will be a blast to drive, though I think for the US market there's a chance we may see a dual-clutch transmission akin to Volkwagen's DSG. There's good reason for this: it allows for full-automatic operation (VERY important for the North American market), and with a flick of a switch on the dashboard or the center console can operate in full manual shift mode.

16. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

Yes the yaris is cheap and easy to fix and they last a life time. But also take "the cars reliability" into consideration. If you get a new/used car, are you going to want to trade it in again in a couple years for something else? Even the trade in value when you go to trade it in. The yaris will definately be alot less than a mini cooper (Which are a blast to drive). Mini's hold their value.

Also, dont forget about the engine size. The Yaris has a small engine, so it takes a while to get it up to sixty or seventy mph for highway, that is unless i give it a little more gas, which in turn lowers mpg. So something with a little bigger engine won't need as much throttle to get it up to highway speeds.

Just my few cents and good luck picking 1!

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

I have a 06 Cooper S and have driven a Fiat 500 (lived in Europe for 4 years and was there when they released them). I will say that there was no comparison to the MINI in handling or fun in my book. Even the standard Cooper was more fun in my opinion then again, maybe it is just me.

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That is also what I have heard, i.e. Fiat doesn't have the MINI fun factor.

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Here's the solution to your problem:

The Ferrari edition Fiat 500:

Only 40,000 EUR. I'm pretty sure I could have some fun in that.

Attached Files:

20. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'm gonna bet I'd pick the John Cooper Works I have over this any time, and it costs a lot less.

What's the curb weight of this Fiat? Because my JCW is 2600 lbs. and I get 208 HP stock and closer to 230 HP with a couple of mods I've done. This Fiat is 180+ HP.

21. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

If the Fiat 500 costs anywhere from 18,000 - 20,000 USD for power locks / doors + keyless entry i'll be looking at the Yaris.

22. danny_w macrumors 601

The Yaris is cheap all right, but that is about it. It also looks cheap and feels cheaper. My wife just bought a Scion xD after driving a Nissan Versa (she didn't even consider it after driving it), Honda Fit (it has loads of room and was fun to drive), and the Yaris (she didn't even drive it after having a first look). Of these cars and the ones you have listed I would probably choose the Fit (but '09 and up only).

23. littleman23408 macrumors 6502

24. Burnsey macrumors 6502a