Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YJamie85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Hi, I see a few people using incase hardshell case for their macbook pros but i've also read about how dust gets in between the case and the laptop causing scratches? Does that sound like a good idea to purchase or I'll just be wasting my money?

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Personally, I'd avoid them. I use an Incase Sleeve myself and have not had any issues. I'd had a Speck Candyshell on my iPhone, which caused marks even when it was a soft case inside. The MBP will be tough in that respect, however, it can still easily get scratched by the case if you don't clean it regularly (which could become a bit of a pain).

If you treat your MBP with care, it won't get scratched (that includes the bottom). However, if you're really concerned about scratches and damage, a case skin with a hard case is definitely the way to go. I'll let someone else give recommendations for that matter.

YJamie85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Personally, I'd avoid them. I use an Incase Sleeve myself and have not had any issues. I'd had a Speck Candyshell on my iPhone, which caused marks even when it was a soft case inside. The MBP will be tough in that respect, however, it can still easily get scratched by the case if you don't clean it regularly (which could become a bit of a pain).

If you treat your MBP with care, it won't get scratched (that includes the bottom). However, if you're really concerned about scratches and damage, a case skin with a hard case is definitely the way to go. I'll let someone else give recommendations for that matter.

I treat my laptop with great care. I have been wanting and NOT wanting to get a case for it. Just having dilemma about it. LOL.

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Hi, I see a few people using incase hardshell case for their macbook pros but i've also read about how dust gets in between the case and the laptop causing scratches? Does that sound like a good idea to purchase or I'll just be wasting my money?

I personally won't use them. I prefer the Al finish. Furthermore, you will have to take the hardshell cases apart and clean your computer every day to prevent dust or sand to get between the case and computer and cause damage. Just look at this individual's experience: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1329856/

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
Its really up to you... I've had my case since november 2010 and dont have any scratches despite only taking the case off twice.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
i had one for a week or two, didnt like the bulk and extra weight it gave it, it also only protects the outside, im more concerned over something spilling on my keyboard then if the table i sit it on scratches the bottom of my MBP

kywildcats

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I had the same debate with my computer when I got mine. I went back and forth and forth probably 8 times. I wanted to get a case to protect it then I read it can scratch the MBP. So I decided against it. Then I started thinking about it again then I was thinking I really like the look of the MBP. I take my MBP to class and take notes on it so I felt I needed a case for it. I settled for a Speck case that is clear. This way I can keep my computer protected in my backpack and I still get to see how great it looks

YJamie85

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I had the same debate with my computer when I got mine. I went back and forth and forth probably 8 times. I wanted to get a case to protect it then I read it can scratch the MBP. So I decided against it. Then I started thinking about it again then I was thinking I really like the look of the MBP. I take my MBP to class and take notes on it so I felt I needed a case for it. I settled for a Speck case that is clear. This way I can keep my computer protected in my backpack and I still get to see how great it looks

question: are you a virgo? LOL i am. i asked cos you sound like me.

kywildcats

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Weird question but no I'm a libra. We always weight the pros and cons of everything or I do at least. I was saving to buy a flat screen tv. I researched them for about 3-4 months before I made my purchase because I wanted to know everything I could possibly know. Even after that I an entire day to find one I wanted and decide to buy it. I think I went shopping for about 10 hours. It was BRUTAL!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.