Hardware Rumors

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
this is my speculation for the coming summer months.

new iBooks
new PowerMacs
new iMacs
new digital lifestyle house, possibly a TiVo type thing.

shoot.

p.s. the Apple Store "Special Deals" is usually a good indicator.
 

Pentium Killer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2002
39
0
Berlin
Wow!This is the most amazing speculation

I have ever read here,was a boring day for you,hu?I must say I definately agree with you on the new powermacs .
:p
 

cornelius

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
105
0
i dont think the imac will be update. i think the imac will be upgraded around christmas or january. the powermac and the ibook, i think they are due. maybe a new or really fast processor, for the powermac. the ibook i think it might be a 800mhz or 1ghz g3. i dont think they ibook will go for the g4, heat and battery issues. thats my take
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
the iMacs are really due for a rev upgrade. by the end of the summer it will be a 6-8 month old product. a stone-age computer in these times (not quite a dinosaur). If the powermacs indeed rev to a g5 with a g4 at the bottom of the line, we'll probably see 900+MHz with improved LCD resolution and bigger hard drives.
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
Re: Wow!This is the most amazing speculation

Originally posted by Pentium Killer
I have ever read here,was a boring day for you,hu?I must say I definately agree with you on the new powermacs .
:p
actually i usually look for good deals there to see if anything tempts me. it seems that it has been a good way to see whats on its way out.
 

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
11,849
0
Metairie, LA
I think the speculations are almost a given...

the iBook is due for an update later this year no doubt...and we're already seeing spec rumors...

new PowerMacs are definitely going to happen....Apple would be in some serious trouble if they didn't...

the iMac I don't think we'll see much from anytime soon...there's the talk of a 17" screen....but that's about it....they already had to increase the price...so why would they piss everyone off by bumping them up for the same prices?!

rumors of a household digital component have been circulating for a while now....that's what we all thought the iPod was going to be... :eek:
 

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
2,307
0
Greensboro, NC
the iMac is their hottest computer, and there are some smart people at Apple. They know that they cannot sit on their laurels and expect to sell. The iMac is the best computer for a combination of power/price/looks/etc. It needs to stay that way. Expect an upgrade.
 

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
80
0
Denmark
New speculation for this year

From my point of view, it's clear that Apple is going to introduce the following this year:

- software
- hardware

I'm actually willing to make bets on this one! :)
 

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
3,023
1
San Luis Obispo, CA
iBook...

Apple needs to update the iBook to atleast 700 and 800MHz G3. 16MB ATI Rage Mobility, and higher rez screens.

Powermacs need a facelift, and a serious operation!
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
I can almost guarentee that if we see new iBooks soon there will be no higher resolution screens. Look at our current 15" LCD monitor, along with 15" monitors from other companies. The maximum resolution for their screens are for the most part 1024 by 768. If the iBook has a 14 inch screen, I do not see how Apple could squeeze in something with a higher resolution. Besides, the on screen materials are small enough as they are on a 14 inch LCD monitor at high resolution.
__________________

Any time is a great time for iPod.
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,147
1,168
East Coast
Re: iBook...

Originally posted by MacAztec
Apple needs to update the iBook to atleast 700 and 800MHz G3. 16MB ATI Rage Mobility, and higher rez screens.

Powermacs need a facelift, and a serious operation!
I say that Apple needs to upgrade the iBook to 550 and 700 mhz G4s. Plus 16MB ATi Radeon Mobility cards. The higher rez screens I can do without (since I prefer the 12" case).

As for the PowerMac, I could care less.
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
Originally posted by King Cobra
I can almost guarentee that if we see new iBooks soon there will be no higher resolution screens. Look at our current 15" LCD monitor, along with 15" monitors from other companies. The maximum resolution for their screens are for the most part 1024 by 768. If the iBook has a 14 inch screen, I do not see how Apple could squeeze in something with a higher resolution. Besides, the on screen materials are small enough as they are on a 14 inch LCD monitor at high resolution.
Dude, what are you talking about?! The iBook has a 1024x768 resolution at 12-inches. I think it's entirely possible that they'll add more pixels for a 14" version.

And most laptops with 15" LCDs have higher resolution than 1024x768. The PowerBook, for example, has a 1280 x 854 resolution at 15.2". Dell Inspirons have resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 for their 15" LCDs. Personally, I think it's too much to squeeze in that many pixels in a 15-inch screen but my PC friends don't seem to mind it.
 

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
4,119
3
BrisVegas, Australia
550 and 700MHz G4s in the iBooks? you must be crazy!! that would be faster than the low-end TiBook! the iBooks will definitely not see G4s until the TiBooks are at 1GHz and faster!
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,656
0
Kent, UK
Originally posted by cb911
550 and 700MHz G4s in the iBooks? you must be crazy!! that would be faster than the low-end TiBook! the iBooks will definitely not see G4s until the TiBooks are at 1GHz and faster!
A very similar argument was made as to why iMac's couldn't get a G4. Look what happened there.

The high-end iMac runs at the same clock speed as the low-end powermac. Who's to say that apple won't do something like that with the portable line too?
 

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
6,147
1,168
East Coast
yeah yeah, but ...

Originally posted by cb911
550 and 700MHz G4s in the iBooks? you must be crazy!! that would be faster than the low-end TiBook! the iBooks will definitely not see G4s until the TiBooks are at 1GHz and faster!
but the iBook's won't have the 133mhz bus, nor will they have the L3 cache, and definately won't have the 32MB ATi Radeon Mobility with extended desktop.

Here's what I'm thinking. The new TiBook's are using the 7455 Apollo chips. That's been confirmed. Motorola has a lower powered version of that chip (minus the L3 cache) called the 7445. Could these be the G4s that are destined for the iBook? I think so. It would solve the "heat" problem of getting a G4 into the plastic iBook case. (NOTE - I put heat in quotations because I really don't buy the "G4 is too hot for plastic" arguement anyways)

BTW, I probably am crazy, but not because I think the iBook will get 550 and 700 G4s.

BTW2, I'm looking at Motorola's page for their G4s and it says that the 7445 runs at a frequency of 133mhz. Does this mean that they have to run on a 133mhz bus or can Apple turn them down to 100? Here's the page.
 

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
1,095
0
Seattle, WA
Re: yeah yeah, but ...

Originally posted by ftaok
BTW2, I'm looking at Motorola's page for their G4s and it says that the 7445 runs at a frequency of 133mhz. Does this mean that they have to run on a 133mhz bus or can Apple turn them down to 100? Here's the page.
It would be funny if that page was the most frequently hit page in the entire Motorola web site. I know I have been there like 20 times in the past two weeks!