Harry and Louise on healthcare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Jul 30, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

First, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOr17a4ZOIU

My thoughts: I'm not here to argue about universal healthcare but rather the advertisement's message. At the end we hear "A little more cooperation, a little less politics and we can get the job done."

1.) Republicans and Democrats will never cooperate fully. So the first part was dumb to say.

2.) A little less politics? When Bush was in office were Republicans spewing advertisements suggesting that Democrats cooperate more and that there should be less politics, i.e. **** whoever doesn't agree with the current president? I recall not one of these advertisements. Since when did everyone have to default to Democrat ideals!?

I consider myself to be a "softcore" Republican. I'll share my own thoughts on things but if someone disagrees I won't edge the person on. What are your thoughts about the last word's message? If you're a Democrat, do you think that the "A little more cooperation, a little less politics" phrase is entirely appropriate?

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If Republicans/Democrats could cooperate, we'd live in a perfect world without a need for politics.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Yeah, lol, next on the agenda would to get everyone to believe in the same religion. Then everyone would be in harmony.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You've got to be kidding. Bush and his ilk called anyone who disagreed with his policies unpatriotic and "with the terrorists". My how short our memories are. Anyone who disagreed with the neocon agenda was completely demonized. It was beyond shameful.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Or, better yet, we could all stop giving a rat's rear about what other people believe in! :D

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thank you! Now that's the ticket.

7. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That's the typical back and fourth with politics. Democrats insult Republicans and, likewise, Republicans insult Democrats.
    Making commercials telling a party to basically shut the f$#& up is something I've never seen before.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I take it you've never watched TV before?:rolleyes:

I JUST saw a commercial that ended with "Tell your congressman that you don't want the Democrats to take over you're healthcare". Literally just on a good 30 seconds before I started writing this post.

9. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I guess. I see it a little differently per se.

If it were "Democrats should cooperate with Republicans and argue less about what they think because it's wrong." everyone would huff and puff.

Aside from this quote not being true, if it were "Tell your congressman that you don't want the Republicans to take over your healthcare." everyone would see that as a typical favorable party commercial.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Was it that they would be labeled a terrorist or was it that they went along with it to not tarnish their own political careers in the eyes of the people? My guess is the later.

Not really, unless we all became drones that did whatever the government told us to do that is.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry, I'm not just talking about politicians. They did it to everyone. Remember, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."? Anyone who disagreed with Bush was labeled anti-American. You don't remember "freedom fries" either?

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There were many dissenters during the Iraq war, everyone around here (mainly red) was iffy on what we were doing in Iraq.

Post-9/11 if you didn't agree with an attack on Osama's known locations I don't know what to say for you, not many people would be against killing the person who created 9/11 or his followers.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm talking about Iraq. Don't try to confuse the issue. You know damn well what happened.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't even agree with the Iraq war, I do think the country is better now than it was before though (through much blood shed and money)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That remains to be seen.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

17. iGary Guest

iGary

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What a load of crap. It's one thing to be against something, but stop it with the lies. The Republicans are acting the same way they did with Clinton- so tired and predictable.