Harry Reid helps Trump get his cabinet picks confirmed in Senate!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Ok, maybe a bit of clickbait, but it is true.

Back in 2013 when the Democrats couldn't get Obama's nominees confirmed, Harry Reid instituted what was called the nuclear option.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...65cfe8-52b6-11e3-9fe0-fd2ca728e67c_story.html

So most nominees now only require a majority vote instead of the 60 previously needed to overcome a filibuster. Looks like Harry's nuclear option might come back to haunt them now that the tables have turned.

Maybe if they hadn't been so delusional in thinking they were going to take it back.

Now in my personal opinion, they should go back to the 60 vote threshold, but do it old school where you actually have to have someone stay up there and speak as long as the Senate is in session.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If it was good enough for the Obama admin then it should be good enough for the Trump admin.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't imagine they'd block his first picks it's make them look childish but yea this is why you don't change rules.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Agreed. I was disappointed when they changed the rules, and my opinion doesn't change because Trump is president.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

....60 votes was never the threshold until the Obama administration.

6. macmee Suspended

macmee

You enjoy filibusters?

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

They can be useful at times. It rarely works, but at least it might bring attention to an issue.

8. macmee Suspended

macmee

Personally I think there's other ways to bring attention to an issue without holding democracy hostage

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually I think they can still filibuster appointments, but they can't do a pretend filibuster without the indignity of speaking.