Harry Reid rakes in $1M from trial lawyers by invoking Koch Bros.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 23, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A bought-and-paid-for agent of the trial lawyers travels to a foreign nation to complain about the Koch Brothers.

"For years, Harry Reid has railed against the Koch brothers as the worst example of the corrupting influence of special interest money in politics.

Reid invoked the [Koch Bros] during a July 12 fundraiser in Montreal for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. In the end, he raised more than $1 million from one special interest — trial lawyers — by criticizing another.

Reid flew to the event in one lawyer’s private jet."

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time caring.

Would you rather he flown coach?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

oh the duplicity of the democratic party.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please take a moment and describe what exactly is duplicitous here.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Has anyone in the Democratic party ever denounced wealth? Have any democrats, besides those in the fever dreams of some hardcore pundits who like to strawman the crap out of everything, ever claim to hate the rich for merely being rich?

You know the answer to both these questions. Harry Reid is standing for the true Democrat position. Wealth as a concept isn't a terrible thing, and the rich aren't demons who only deserve our ire and hate. But the influence of money on politics can very much be a bad thing.

Despite claims to the contrary, none of us here want a government that can be bought by the highest bidder.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm having a hard time understanding why Trial Lawyers, as a group, are any more reprehensible or loathsome than any other professional or industry association.

I'm sure there are quite a few shady or unethical lawyers. But trial lawyers are the people who make sure you get compensated if you get injured through someone else's negligence. Trial lawyers are one of the reasons our pajamas don't catch fire and our pickup trucks explode. The threat of lawsuits keeps dangerous foods and supplements off the market, keeps lethal toys out of kids hands.

The American legal system is imperfect. It doesn't do a very good job of representing poor people in criminal cases. But our Tort system lets the lowliest person, with a bona fide injury, take on - and win - against the biggest corporations in the world.

Far better we settle our differences and disputes in court, in front of Judges and Juries, than at the point of a gun or the detonation of a car bomb.

Raising money is a necessary evil of participating in our democratic process. So unless Sen. Reid's speech - and fundraising - violates some aspect of campaign finance law (what there is left of it) - I really fail to see what the problem is.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    1.true democrat position, is that like complaining about money from the Koch brothers while getting money from other special interest?
    2. yeah, wonder what favors will Harry have to pay back from the money he got.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The "OLOL U DO IT TOO" argument. While I won't say Democrats are as innocent as newborn children when it comes to "I'll scratch your back, you'll scratch mine" politics, you have to admit that one party is a little worse than the other. At least the Democrats are willing to stand up and admit to the problem it could cause.

Let's face it. The only reason why global warming is considered a partisan political issue these days is because the Koch Bros. find the subject inconvenient to their business interests.

What are you saying? That he's a politician being paid by moneyed interests to speak out about politicians being paid by moneyed interests in politics? Kinda self defeating, don't you think?

...or maybe they're taking refuge in audacity.

9. jerwin macrumors 65816

Do you really think that's the plan? The first amendment has already been subordinated to the second. Ordinary citizens are already routinely asked to contract their rights to sue in an impartial court. In some states. you can settle your disputes with a killing blow, and earn immunity from court challenge.

I suspect that many conservatives view the concept of an independent judiciary as a passing fad.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'll need some of that beer to think it over, heading home, see you in a few :D

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

First you diss my beer, and now you're all about stealing it? I DON'T GET YOU, MAN!

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, Koch money is bad and evil while union money is good.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You left a note
    ***** with all my love, Renz******

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its a matter of scale.

Unions (and trial lawyers) represent the interests of thousands, if not millions of ordinary Americans. Their individual contributions range from (literally) ten or twenty dollars up to a couple of thousand. Going to a single, albeit influential, Senator. And each contribution is subject to the constraints of Campaign Finance law.

The Kochs and Sheldon Adelson are individuals, with highly specific business interests, spending hundreds of millions of dollars, and expect to personally select the next President of the United States. That money is often hidden from public view behind innocuous-sounding Political Action Committees. And is totally free from rules about disclosure, limits on individual contributions, or indeed any meaningful oversight.

If you don't see the difference, then you don't understand the problem.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Sucks it didn't work and TPP passed

16. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

Please provide citation of this claim... otherwise it's just ******** GOP propaganda.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Money and fund raising is an integral and long-standing part of our political process. The point isn't necessarily where the money is coming from, but how much money is being donated. Harry Reid is invoking the Kochs to urge his constituency into meeting that challenge. I haven't seen anywhere where he's judged one source of funding versus the other.

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

TPP is one area where I differ sharply with many of my Liberal and Democratic friends. I understand their concerns, but I think in the long-run we will be better of protecting the US intellectual-property rights, while building stronger trade relationships with the Pacific region.

Intelligent people of goodwill can differ on specific topics without necessarily resorting to name-calling and deadlock.

19. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

Very insightful and logical response.

20. Robisan macrumors 6502

Why do you hate free speech?

...Adding, contributions per person to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee are limited by law and donors names are publicly disclosed. The Koch brothers funnel multi-millions secretly to influence politicians and public policy. Apples vs. oranges. There is no hypocrisy here.

21. ElectronGuru, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I don't get the confusion. There's belief and there's getting **** done. If you don't accept special interest money, the other guy will stuff you at the ballot box. If you don't get elected, you can't fix the rules that make special interests thrive.

Say you're a boxer. You believe in boxing gloves. You are in a contest in which gloves are optional. Do you 1) wear the gloves you believe in and get stuffed, 2) not wear the gloves and be inconsistent with your beliefs, 3) abstain from fighting until the rules are changed and have no say cause you're not a participant?

You can believe in the destructive influence of special interests and accept SI money while also fighting to change the rules to eliminate SI. Or to paraphrase Rumsfeld, you go to politics with the rules you have.

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

However, once elected they lose all interest in fixing the special interest rules that got them elected.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While we're entertaining analogies ...

Meeting with a group of investors, Harry Reid says, "the Koch brothers are pumping capital into X Corp. I need you to invest in our company, or else we risk being driven out of the market."

How is that duplicitous?

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That couldn't have been me. There's no way in hell I'd give away my beer for free. Let alone to someone who doesn't appreciate it.

...I think someone's plotting against me.

25. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Well, if you want to argue that politicians are ****heads, I'll be agreeing with you. But fault we may still disagree on. I would say that kicking them all out of office, they will be replaced by even more ****heads because the system is configured to exclude (punish) decent people and decent behavior.