Harry Reid shrugs off baseless Romney comments from 2012

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BladesOfSteel, Apr 3, 2015.

1. BladesOfSteel, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015

BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I think most reasonable people knew he was lying back in the leadup to the 2012 election... but here is a quick recap.

In the late summer of 2012, Reid began saying that he had "sources" that told him that Romney hadn't paid any taxes for 10 years. He told this to reporters and even on the Senate floor.

He never produced any evidence, and actually put the burden of proof on Romney to show that he did. (To his fault, Romney didn't release more than 1 or 2 years of tax returns).

Flash forward to this week, CNN interviewed Reid and asked about the Romney tax remarks. He said, "I don't regret that at all...He didn't win, did he?"

Now, the Obama campaign ran with the "no taxes" bit and ran it in a few ads and it really became a firestorm.

I don't think it cost Romney the election - that's not what I want to get at.

(and while I am a conservative, I in NO way think the Rs are squeaky clean and always telling the truth.)

My issue is that a high-ranking politician (left, right or otherwise) blatantly lied - on the Senate floor no less. And then, shakes it off as the end justifies the need. It makes my blood boil.

What next? Does the tan cry baby stand up and say that Hiliary used to run a dog fighting ring?? Then, Cruz stands up and says God told him XYZ candidate picks his/her nose and eats it!?

The lack of any civility in politics just kills me. It is (and has been for some time) my side = Good; your side = bad. It doesn't matter what has to happen as long as MY TEAM wins.

Argh.

Sorry, I know this has been going on for years and years, and I'm sure some think the Rs started it, and some may think the Ls started it. Frankly, they both do it. I hate it.

/rant

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Irony, I loves it.

Where did Reid admit to lying?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...How is that saying it's a lie? :confused:

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Reid played the part of the political hitman, throwing mud that Obama could not himself hurl.

Is it morally right? No. Is it politics? Yes.

The only thing I'd suggest is that people be aware of politicians on the sidelines during elections and how they influence the process. They know their roles, and they play them well.

6. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I don't think we know anything. Either could've been lying. Neither side provided evidence.

So it's all just political noise at election-time. Not worth getting your blood boiling.

7. BladesOfSteel thread starter macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Fair enough.

Reid's shrug and smirk while saying "he didn't win, did he" was pretty much an admission.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So I'd suggest either changing the title to a question, or getting a mod to delete this thread.

Your assertion needs evidence, and you've provided none. A shrug and a smirk is Harry Reid's entire schtick when he's feeling confident.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

SHE DID?!?! :eek:

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

No it’s not an admission. He as basically saying, "it’s not important anymore since he isn’t a candidate and he isn’t facing any legal accusations”

An admission would be “naw, I knew there wasn’t anything to it back then” You can’t use shrugs and smirks as proof of anything.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Well, if he weighs as much as a duck, we should definitely burn him.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

An admission of what? It may have been confirmation Reid was right all along? Why didn't Romney release all the pertinent returns and catch Reid in the lie. That would have cooked Reid's goose for sure. But Romney resisted.

So:
    • Maybe Reid was lying?
    • Maybe Reid was telling the truth?
    • Maybe Reid was lying but Romney was hiding something else from the country?
    Impossible to draw conclusions on the basis of no evidence. The only evidence we do have is that politics is a dirty game.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would guess the latter.

15. BladesOfSteel thread starter macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Well, here's my snarky answer: How come I need evidence when Harry Reid didn't?

----------

I'm sure it was the third...

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because Harry Reid isn't a member of MacRumors

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I read the title and thought it was about a Senator napping on the Senate floor. THAT would have been news.

[​IMG]

A dishonest politician. That ain't news.:rolleyes:

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. He didn't agree to the TOS that BladesOfSteel did when he became a member of MacRumors.

19. BladesOfSteel thread starter macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

No, it isn't... I was just venting I guess.

Kind of a threadjack, but a state legislator here in Minnesota pretty much summed it up. (this was taken during the debate as to fund a new football stadium).

[​IMG]

Even though he wasn't in my district, I was a big fan of John Kriesel. Seemed to be a straight shooter. And, of course, served his term and then got out. Seems that the good people get out of politics early.

It will never happen, but I think the Senate needs term limits. Politics shouldn't be a career.

----------

Well played.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Harry Reid is a dirtbag; however, Romney did refuse to release his tax records, unlike every other presidential candidate in U.S. history, including his father in 1968.

Obviously Mittens was hiding something. I doubt it was anything illegal, more like he used Cayman Island tax shelters and paid less in taxes than the average American working stiff, something embarrassing like that.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well we saw how great things went after getting a bunch of new people that didn't know how things worked after the 2010 elections...

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not so sure. For one, this removes experience from the equation and rather than getting a few technocrats who understand the system and have long-term working relationships, you get a mess of people coming in and going out, leaving all the experience in the hands of staff and lobbyists. (Or just accelerating this problem depending on your point-of-view.)

Moreover, this also means that making those secondary careers becomes even more important, so snuggling up to the nearest think tank becomes more important since after two-terms you're going to need a new job.

The benefit for us is new faces, which as mrkramer notes, doesn't mean quality or skill in governance.

Right. Reid's a jerk, but Mittens knew that his tax records were politically dangerous, indicating that he's played Richie Rich games to avoid taxes.

23. Robisan macrumors 6502

For the record, as of this posting time this unsubstantiated claim in the thread starting post still remains. Furthermore, the revised title ("baseless" replacing "lied") is likewise still an unsubstantiated claim. So I still +1 to this:

24. kendall69 macrumors regular

Obviously you can't read.....Romney released his tax returns — nearly 550 pages, including the 2010 returns for three family trust funds and a foundation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2012/01/23/gIQAj5bUMQ_story.html

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which I believe is perfectly in his right. I agreed with Romney's desire to "not pay a penny more in tax than the government allowed."

I'd just wish he wouldn't hold it against the poor when they do the same.