Hartless Politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

An interesting interview with Gary Hart. He discusses the changes in politics, Hillary, and Trump.

Do you agree that Hillary hasn't adjusted too well to the changing political demographics ?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I do agree that maybe the rise of the Bernie revolution caught her by surprise, but if you listen to what Bernie himself has said, even he was surprised how fast that rose up.

5. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

Old style campaigning and recognizing the demographic changes.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It worked well enough to win her the presidential nomination, alleged controversies aside. Though it should be obvious by this point that the democrats pretending everything is still forced smile hunky dory might not work out too well for them come next election.

Though the current republican stance of "guys, this carpet is ugly and old and it smells! Let's burn the house down, collect the insurance money, and build a little ranch house out in Montana somewhere" won't be doing them any favors, either.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

That speaks volumes... but Montana?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Seemed like as good a place as any. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's because the blasted, barren winterscapes in Montana are as cold as their shriveled, charcoal hearts.

...feels like home. :D

9. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We've just witnessed the country's most fervent outbreak of anti-establishmentarianism from left AND right since maybe 1964 (when it was the Republicans went bonkers) and 1968 (Dems' turn in the barrel).

But somehow in 2016 we have still ended up with these two major-party candidates, both essentially establishment picks (since if you believe Trump's a populist then you are truly out of your mind) who are standing there thinking "wow I almost got this thing made".

So sure, there's this strong idea this year of tearing it all down and building a new thing in Montana but...

Trump figures hey, Penn Ave or in Palm Beach. Clinton likes to hang out in the Hamptons.

They say you can't get lost on a straight road but we might have managed to kill that cliché in 2016.

2020 will be interesting.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Montana is perfect, nice views and few people.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I just think it is a shame that Bernie and Trump supporters didn't realise that fundamentally they want the same thing: redressing the imbalance of opportunity and wealth in our society. I loathe Trump, but he hit the nail on the head about how ignored and frustrated uneducated white people feel, and the Left both in the US and the UK needs to wake up and smell the coffee in this regard. The failure to pay attention to people who feel disenfranchised cost the UK the ongoing calamity of Brexit. Hopefully it won't cost the US a Trump Presidency.