Harvard Accused of Bias Against Asian-Americans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smellysox8, May 17, 2015.

1. smellysox8 macrumors regular

http://www.wsj.com/articles/asian-a...robe-of-harvard-admission-policies-1431719348

Man, all those Asian-American slave owners should remember they need to pay reparations for slavery. :rolleyes:

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

3. smellysox8 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you saying all the other racial groups offer more than just SAT scores than Asian Americans? That's incredibly racist.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Did I say anything about any group? When students apply for college, there are a lot of factors that get considered. The ability to do well on standardized tests is not interesting in itself. What the college is looking for may be partially correlated with standardized test taking ability, but, it isn't likely to be 100% correlated, unless the college offers a degree in test-taking.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Honestly, I see why Asians brought suit.

Let the courts settle it.

I'll be interested seeing the results.

6. smellysox8 thread starter macrumors regular

What other factors that Asian-Americans don't have that other groups do have that would create such a gap in SAT scores then?

The answer is they are not black enough.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

According to your story, they're also not white enough, or Hispanic enough, as both of those races did poorer than Asians as well.

8. smellysox8 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the better answer is they are too Asiany.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They likely have much better gpa as well, not just test taking ability. It's pretty clear that universities are using different standards for different races which is itself racist.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I was working on some admissions materials for the university I work for and noted that the incoming freshman class was 60% female and 40% male. I hope you'll be as supportive of the trend of women becoming more dominant in college, and by extension the workplace in the near future.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

And it should not be tolerated

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

EXPLAINS plenty, sadly you will never get to some people

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Why did you highlight African Americans? As if you have no concern that Asian Americans still have to score higher than White and Hispanic students.

Your agenda is so freaking clear, that it actually taints the discussion.

14. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Maybe he was highlighting the largest disparity; unfortunately your agenda of defending the black race led you somewhere else.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

First ..... If you look at his previous posts and threads, you'll know that's absolute crap. His last sentence in the OP further proves that.

Second ..... If he is so focused on fairness and equality. The points would not matter. Whether it's 50 points or 1000. To state otherwise, is agreeing with Harvard but not the spread of points, which would null this whole discussion.

Third .... It would most likely be whites with lower SAT scores, that bump Asians, due to enrollment percentage alone. And there is no real reason for whites to have that handicap, as there is no American history of mass whites being discriminated and oppressed, plus they are the majority. With blacks there is a history which still has plenty of residual effects today.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I think it has more to do with the fact it's a good discussion, framed badly by someone who has a pretty big racist chip on their shoulder. If anyone else started this thread, it might've lead to an interesting debate. But with Smelly, it has this "yall need to quit being so uppity and stop asking for free handouts like all you minorities do" quality to it that's hard to work around.

Yeah, I know. Someone's inevitably going to pop in and say "I'm not saying that at all. You're just seeing what you want to see", and...no. I'm going off past experiences here.

Also, go see Mad Max.

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Agreed, his intentions taint the discussion.

Was it as good or better than the original? :D

18. Thraun macrumors regular

Thraun

Seconded. Holy crap.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Listen to Thraun.

I'd say it's at least as good. Though I'm leaning towards better. The only complaint I have about it is that I think Mel Gibson is a better Mad Max than Tom Hardy is. Not that Hardy is a bad actor, just that he plays Max more as a haunted, desperate loner, where Gibson's crazy feral swagger would've worked better considering the themes of the movie.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Are you suggesting Harvard also discriminates against Jewish-Americans?

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

After reading the article it looks to me as if they have a legitimate case.

If only the OP had not brought his own racist feelings to the discussion.:eek:

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Seems many Are killing the messenger and forgetting the message

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Yes I think it needs to be investigated though I wish it wasn't by the court. No the post doesn't give the OP anymore credibility.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

25. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Affirmative action and quotas at work here. It's long been a common opinion that if you're Asian, you have to be extra smart in order to get into college. This lawsuit is a result of that. Glad to see something is finally attempting to be done about it.