Harvard Revokes Admissions From Students

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jun 5, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/harvard-revokes-admissions-students-insensitive-104427003.html

have fun explaining that to the parents ....................

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I was just going to post this.

Honestly I'm torn. I can't decide whether this is infringing on privacy and free speech vs adhering to a code of conduct (which I don't take issue with).

But if nothing else - it's a cautionary tale because what you post online - private or not - can bite you in the you-know-what

Another take of the story:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/...es-for-offensive-memes-in-private-group-chat/

3. JMacHack macrumors 6502

Academia, the self-touted bastion of new ideas and free-speech everybody.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm convinced the university looked for any reason to bump these kids in order to make room / free up funds for children of alums or some other BS reason.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't see it as infringing on privacy due to the people chose to put it out there on social media and didn't lock down their accounts to where only friends can see what they post. Was it a closed group as well? Article didn't say either.

I am torn too. It's more of a code of conduct thing definitely. Sure there are cases that go too far( the firing of that teacher who was on vacation because she participated something risqué comes to mind), but this one is a different case. Rape, child abuse, etc is nothing to mock or make fun of. It definitely reflects on their character to mock it.

But definitely another case of be careful what you put out there on social media.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

from your link
    they shared their stupidity on the official FC group for the university.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

From what I understand in the article I posted - it was a 2nd private/closed group. But clearly there was a leak of some sort and students were asked to submit their contributions. So it wasn't a case of locking down their accounts per se. It was assuming that whatever they posted would remain private - no matter what.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    You clearly didn't read the article closely enough because they started a private chat. They MET on the official FB page.

"They created a messaging group where students could share memes about popular culture — a growing trend on the internet among students at elite colleges.

The exchanges took a dark turn, according to an article published in the Harvard Crimson on Sunday. Some of the group’s members decided to form an offshoot group in which students could share “R-rated” memes, a student told the Crimson. The founders of the group chat"

Now I really wonder how closely you read the Paris Accord document ;)

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

close enough to know it was a scam :D

well, they played their stupid game and learned a hard lesson.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Harvard is a private University and can do what it pleases. Reputation is essential for a university, and the administration probably felt they were protecting Harvard. Also, given the glut of good applicants to the university, they probably felt they had more deserving applicants in retrospect.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, but as jkcerda posted they had to post that stuff on the official facebook page before admittance to the closed group. So while there would be an expectation of privacy in the closed group, bets are off on that official group.

But still leaning towards the play stupid games, win stupid prizes side of things. There are things that you just don't mock.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Seriously, there is a list a mile long of wait-listed students who aren't idiots on social media who would love to have a seat in those classrooms. This is a no-brainer.

I say this to every high school kid that asks:
    The first semester of the first year of college is hard because they are looking for any reason possible to kick you out as fast as possible. Think about efficiency, there is a limited number of seats in every class. If they find out someone is not a good student when they're a junior, they wasted three years on that person and by then it's too late to place another good student in their seat. Meanwhile, in the first year, there is probably a long list of students that have been wait-listed, deferred admission, or applying as transfers who are eager, ready, and willing to take any seat that comes up. Thus intro classes are always harder than they have to be, with more busy work than needed, and have unnecessarily strict syllabuses and rules. The point is to weed out the duds as early as possible and back-fill those emptied seats as quick as possible. It gets easier. Once you're proven to them that you can cut it, the later years are far more academically flexible and satisfying, and you will have more time to socialize too. So don't go crazy partying the first semester, not only is a sure-fire way to get sent home early, but freshman parties are all super lame anyway.​

12. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

You really can't decide if it's an infringement on free speech as in the First Amendment? Please tell us you understand the Bill of Rights.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

You ignored how I framed the question. Please tell us you understand reading comprehension ;)
    I just thought that many colleges wanted a check - any check - to clear ;)

14. VulchR, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My first day at my undergraduate college (William & Mary) we were all given an induction speech in the basketball arena. A dean stood up and said 'Look to your left. Look to your right. One of you won't be here at the end of the 4 years.' Neither of them were. True story. It scared the daylights out of me and I pretty much studied from 7AM-10PM every day for the first year, as did many others.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Colleges know very well that for there to be a check next year, this year's graduating class has to be as successful as possible. Academia, above all other industries, is all about the long-term game. Any kid will bring a check, so best to give that seat to the kid whose instinct isn't to post crap online and thus has the higher chance of finding gainful employment and improving the college's ranking.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Good for Harvard. Otherwise a parent could wonder if that school's really right for his kid. Not sure want to have my nextgen hanging out with anyone who thinks posting memes like that is ok, even if it was done on a dare or to get "in" with some group regarded as cool.

There are doubtless kids on that wait list who would never think to post stuff like that -- whether because of a mature sense of what's appropriate and what's beyond the pale, or a clear understanding that what you put on the internet is never guaranteed to be private, no matter the fine print and preference options.

The kids who joined that R-rated group must live in some kind of reality TV world of their own making. Maybe now they should try a job with a road crew painting bridges this summer. Let them mock Mexican children while working shoulder to shoulder with my nephew sometime. Their next meme would have to be something trying to mock St. Peter rejecting them at the pearly gates.

You know another thing that really got me about the whole gig was this:

The founders of the group chat demanded that students post provocative memes in the larger group to gain admittance to the smaller group.
    Clearly the ringleaders were thus saying "don't try to sting us; what we're doing is bad and if we go down, we're taking you with us." Nice. Harvard needs to up its game on getting to know its applicants.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Maybe my reading and comprehension is lacking. Please point out your question in your quote below. Thank you.

Let me help you, since Harvard isn't the government it's not an infringement on free speech.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry. I didn't pose an actual question. I conveyed why I was conflicted.

Limiting free speech is infringing on free speech. If Harvard is prohibiting their students or prospective students - then it's an infringement.

Please provide a link where limiting someone's ability to communicate isn't an infringement of free speech. Thanks!

19. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Free speech is granted in the Bill of Rights. The First Amendment limits government from in fringing in free speech. These students do not have any free speech right or protections when it comes to the University.
    Sorry, where are my manners: you're welcome.

20. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Sad response by that august institution. Dark humor play. Wonder what they would do if someone had a sub group on bomb design improvement ....
    If that is their stance, those students are better going to another institution like Princeton or Yale or ....

21. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Either that or they wanted to bump these morons to make room for smart people. Which could be seen as being in Harvard's enlightened self-interest. An educational institution with a reputation for students and graduates of a certain standard would probably want to protect that brand.