Harvard Scientists Begin Experiment To Block Out The Sun

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 16, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevor...experiment-to-block-out-the-sun/#5216223b40c2

why don’t they just install giant air conditioners at the city entrance? Anyways this is cool and obviously they don’t know the can of worms they are opening, winter is coming......

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

How do you tackle something that doesn’t exist? These Harvard clowns need to get an education. 100% of paid off 1% of scientists agree there is no climate change. Those numbers don’t lie.

3. Huntn, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

What can of worms?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    100% of paid off 1% of scientists agree there is no climate change?-What does that even mean? I think you need to get out more.

Next year or the year after, the Arctic will be free of ice
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/21/arctic-will-be-ice-free-in-summer-next-year

Arctic sea ice decline
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_sea_ice_decline
    The Third U.S. National Climate Assessment (NCA), released May 6, 2014, reports that the Arctic Ocean is expected to be ice free in summer before mid-century. Models that best match historical trends project a nearly ice-free Arctic in the summer by the 2030s.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

1. winter is coming
    2. yeah, and Gore said the polar ice caps would be gone by 2013...............

5. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

What can of worms?

If you want to gage how warm the Earth is getting JK, look at the temperature history of the World and look at the polar ice caps. You really can’t spin this away. About Gore, really dude? So that seals it, no global warming. :rolleyes::oops:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    CCAF006A-48EC-4A50-891A-F79B19AF17CE.jpeg

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Interesting but the scale if off. If 1950 is halfway through the 5000-0 years it means that in reality we don't have a good data resolution for what was happening 400000-50000. Would the current model and measurement tools actually measure a 100 year spike in carbon dioxide if it happened 350000 years ago? Seriously asking; one day I'll start studying this climate change thing - either way, I don't have a formed opinion due to my ignorance - for real.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

could you please not yell at me this early in the morning? I am yet to have my coffee..........

GW is a scam many liberals want to fix through taxes.............

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

Well at least they’re looking at something that is a significant cause of warming the globe.

9. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I can trust NASA for reliable Data. I don’t put any faith in Right Wing Protect my Profits Denial. And even if you have doubts, the evidence of warming is there, the human race is pumping billions of pounds of green house gases into the atmosphere. Are you a gambler? What would be the prudent choice?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    Yelling would include an exclamation point. :) Ok, I see it.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

thanks for admitting all dems want to do is tax it........

it's in the quote in post 7

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't want to make it political, and I do not complain about the validity of the data. I can simply ask about the tools, resolution, and the interpretation of the data. It's certainly possible to lie with data without actually lying, but that's not my point. It is also possible to misread the data (wouldn't be the first time).
    As a gambler I would have to know a little bit about the game first, I wouldn't gamble because an "expert" gambler tells me to do so (or not to).

12. ericgtr12, Dec 17, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The argument with climate change deniers is becoming the same as trying to reason with flat earthers. It's become easier to simply not engage them, they're increasingly becoming the fringe. If I had a nickel for every time I read an opinion of some right winger whose education consists of growing up on Fox News and AM radio telling me how wrong actual scientists are, I could afford go buy everyone on MR a nice Grande drink of their choice from Starbucks.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the climate changes, always has always will...................... democrats just want to tax it.

14. Solver macrumors 6502a

This reminds me of another solution to cool down the planet, by painting the streets white.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/los-angeles-is-spending-40000-per-mile-to-paint-streets-white-2018-3

15. ThisBougieLife, Dec 17, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

You can't deny it if you are in a place where the changes are lived.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

What they don't seem to understand is how quickly the changes are now taking place. We have fact based evidence of the rate the climate has changed over the last 10,000 years and how much more accelerated it's been in just the last 100 in comparison, with direct correlation to man made greenhouse gas emissions. To ignore this is just plain ignorance.

Aside from this empirical evidence, the fact that man is knowingly responsible for dumping 15.1 trillion pounds of co2 emissions into our atmosphere annually is simply ignored as a baseless stat by Republicans is baffling on any level.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

again, what is the democrats answer?? taxes............... if you want conservatives on board why don't you try suggesting something other than taxes????

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't know about this idea, seems like a plot right out of a spy spoof movie.
    [​IMG]

19. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

My feet are so cold, I am freezing right now. We will talk about "global warming" in 6-7 months, can't expect me to take it serious right now, can you?

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Taxes that will incentivize behaviour away from carbon producing manufacturing processes, and be used to fund research into combating atmospheric carbon increases.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am open about it because - as I said - I am very ignorant about this. However, for the past century we measured this stuff on a daily basis, probably second by second. We have no way to know what was happening 500k years ago, even at a 100yr resolution due to geological times. The perception of the acceleration can also be due to the measuring systems.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Maybe not (get some fluffy slippers?) we just want to highlight the difference between seasonal conditions and the climate.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

At this point I'd rather force than incentivize. If you think it's vital, that's what you would propose. A simple law is needed. "Companies will produce at [whatever is the acceptable threshold] before 2025."

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

LMMFAO . thanks for making my morning that much brighter...although I imagine you were not joking, dems love to spend taxes on pet projects, we have plenty of taxes here in CA "for the roads" that are used on whatever the democrats want .

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ah no, some variation in recordings can be expected but this is way beyond any statistical norm. Have you seen XKCD's comic about this? It explains the probable variance at around the 16000 BCE mark.