Has a big feature ever been a real surprise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stupotpot, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

In other words, has there ever been a big feature of a new iPhone that has not been leaked prior to release?

The larger screen of the 5, iPad mini launch, iTunes Radio etc etc all where heavily rumoured prior to release...has there ever been a major feature that truly was a surprise?

Just wondering if I need to get excited or not!

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The only thing that I can think of was with the antenna on the iPhone 4.

The phone design obviously got leaked more than any other, but nobody could tell that the metal band served as the antenna.

Perhaps not the best example, given the problems with that design which were fixed in the iPhone 4S...

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

No one knew about Siri until Apple revealed it at the keynote. During the rumors leading up to the 4s there was a lot of speculation of a curved iPhone and a teardrop design too so I guess the 4S being the same was sort of a surprise in itself.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apart from buying the company?

5. chabig macrumors 68040

iPod mini was a surprise. iPod Nano was a surprise. Mac Mini was a surprise.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

MacRumors had a whole video mockup of Siri, right down to the purple rotating circle and speech bubbles on linen background.

To the OP, I guess the new Mac Pro was a surprise but then again that's a very low volume product that wasn't yet released. Easier to keep that a secret.

In regards to iOS devices, we've known pretty much everything about them the last few years. I doubt they'll be any surprises :(

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Been watching the i4 keynote again. The antenna "gaps" seemed to bother Jobs, if he hadn't say anything, it would had not mean anything to me, it sounded like he was apologizing for the less than perfect (by Jobs' standard) aesthetic, Justified by a technical design. BUT he never said the new antenna arrangement improved signals (vs 3GS) or helps battery life.

GPS: We kinda knew there was a GPS on the iPhone (not really surprised) but I was pleasantly surprised it works well. Before the iPhone, stand-along GPS units took a #^%@& long time to acquired the satellites whatever, but the iPhone assisted GPS seems to get one's location almost instantly.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Unless you stay the **** away from the internet.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So what, you want to scour rumors endlessly looking for what's going to be there but still wanted to be surprised? You can't have your cake and eat it too unless you want the cake to be a lie.

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd like to see something that hasn't been leaked. I know we could all be a lot more surprised if we all left MR, but that ain't ever going to happen :p

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It is likely that the most important hardware features (even minor ones) have been leaked, as a result of mass production. Perhaps there will be new features software wise, but unlikely that we'll get different camera modules, battery, screen, flash, etc.

12. zipster macrumors 6502