Has America Lost the War in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Sep 14, 2010.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

In 2001 everybody thought we were attacking Taliban and al Queida Afghanistan for all the right reasons. There wasn't a whole lot of political opposition to that war. They attacked us - so we responded with retaliation.

But now public opinion has shifted. Lots of people want to "end the war in afghanistan" because "endless war is not in America's best interest."

So we invaded our enemies in Afghanistan - never completed the mission of eliminating the Taliban - and 9 years later we've decided it's not worth it to pursue any further. Yes there are still Taliban in Afghanistan - but we'd rather not fight them anymore. I call that losing a war of attrition.
    And if that's the case, then was it a good idea to attack the Taliban in the first place? I think not. Is America really the great military superpower we think we are?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We lost the war when we thought that we could change a country's culture by force.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I think Afghanistan is not a war we can win on military terms. Knocking out the Taliban power structure and the Al-Qaeda camps seems like something we had to do after 9/11, but somehow we missed the opportunity to not get embroiled. Now the trouble is in Pakistan and Yemen and Somalia and who knows where else. We can't bomb into compliance every country where bad guys accumulate power.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Bullets will never kill an idea. Especially an idea brought about by the use of our bullets. It's a self perpetuating war.

Why America thought we could change Afghanistan by force when so many others tried and failed in the past is beyond me. It's nothing but a resource dump, and the murder of 100,000's.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, we lost a long time ago. I was for the invasion back then as well. I have recently changed my mind.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Me too. My question is: did we have a choice? Did we have any option to retaliate against Osama Bin Laden's terror network that didn't result in the invasion of a country?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The war was lost when Iraq was invaded, and when we stopped making economic development our primary objective.

8. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

Yes Obama's war is a miserable failure and all combat deaths are on HIS head.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why would you post such nonsense?

10. Surely Guest

Surely

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

To remind voters to not put these people in power?

12. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

At the risk of taking us further off track, who specifically would you nominate in their stead?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Democrats. For all their faults they aren't anywhere near as crazy.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lady Gaga, Joan Rivers and RuPaul.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

A woman disguised as a man, a man disguised as a woman, and a corpse disguised as a woman. I like it. No skeletons in their closets. They're either out of them or already are one.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

George Bush started the Afghanistan War. You guys can't even acknowledge any type of reality anymore, can you?

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I can't wait for the TV debates! :D

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Afghanistan: my hunch is that there's far more to it than we're told, maybe something along the lines of Chinese copper mines, vast lithium deposits, the strategic balance of Pakistan, encircling Russia... or saving Agent Dale Cooper from the Black Lodge.

Either way, I don't think this is just about the Taliban anymore.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's why Lexington said the following:

When the Economist is saying that you should be seriously worried. The Democrats may be rubbish, but they aren't outside the comprehension of the Economist's US writer.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If we wanted to succeed we'd have built a motorway/railway to China and/or Central Asia and/or Pakistan and/or Iran and ideally at least two of them - and we haven't done any of that.

You'll probably find that buying a saucepan in rural Afghanistan is more expensive than in Tokyo - and international trade is a way we can reduce those costs - and its something the Taliban cannot possibly compete with.

21. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

On this we have what may prove to be rare agreement. I think it's simply about national pride and international image, which is hardly a reason to keep beating our head against that wall. I'm not for a unilateral pullout, and I don't like the current situation. I'm still idealistic enough to trust the man I elected as commander in chief to find and execute the least bad solution.

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

WOW PS! Really? WTF!?

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

WOW PS! Really? WTF!?
    You are talking as if this were LBJ taking over for JFK, last I checked Bush is still alive dude and Obama wasn't his VP I really do get this funny feeling you are pissed just because he is actually legally the H.N.I.C

As for the rest of you...so umm are we officially (unofficially) saying that this is another "Vietnam" you all gotta be kidding me this entire thread just dropped off a ****ing cliff.

You know what I am happy about though my nephew comes back from there in a little over two months and counting--that's all that matters.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I haven't seen anybody (except you) use the phrase "another 'Vietnam'".

Could you elaborate a little?

I'm not sure what aspect of this thread you think has gone over the cliff.

25. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

[​IMG]