Has any noticed decreased wifi range since 5.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AceGuy78, Mar 22, 2012.

1. AceGuy78 macrumors member

AceGuy78

I was just talking to my friend about this who also happened to update to 5.1. And him just like me, said that he noticed weaker wifi since updating.
    I generally haven't seen any threads about this so I'm wondering if it's more widespread than just me and my friend

Ace

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Exactly the same for me.

3. Swai macrumors newbie

Yes i went to the apple store and it worked perfectly fine. But at home it will not connect unless I'm in the same room as the router. The range has defiantly decreased... :(

4. ScottishMac macrumors newbie

Same for me... I used to be able to sit in my garden and have a good wifi signal, now it barely works the moment I set foot outside.

5. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I have not seen this. I have an iPad on 5.1 and an iPhone 4s on 5.0.1. Both get around the same wifi range.

6. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Do you see fewer bars in the wifi symbol or actually notice its slow. Could be that they fixed a software glitch and now its just showing fewer bars but accurately, like what happened with At&T bars sometime back...

7. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Mines the same, also no noticeable degradation when i do a speedtest

8. SurferMan, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Saw no difference, i.e. still having the same wifi trouble since iOS5:rolleyes: . 3gs and 4 don't pick up the signal unless right near the router. Yet if I downgrade back to previous iOS, wifi works fine on the 3gs. 4 isn't jailbroken so it's on 5.1 now, didn't fix the wifi issue :rolleyes: . Apple finally admitted there is an issue that seems to be causing this with iOS5 and phones pry produced during a certain time period, but they've had no fix for it and don't know what's causing it (I even replaced the wifi cable just to see)... thanks apple. There's some massive threads online and at discussions.apple forums about this with tons of affected users.

The 4S doesn't have that issue, but it sure doesn't have the range that the other phones had before iOS5, and not near my GSII in which the iPhones before were pretty comparable to it's range. I have big FL room off the living room opening to the back deck/pool/dock area. The 4S will stay around 1 bar at the edge of the FL room (router is in the living room) but the second you walk out the signal drops, GSII on the other hand still picks it up even by the pool.

I've noticed too if the gf and I are in a big store, like Publix or Total Wine, both phones can show low bars but still be on hspa+, however the 4S won't load internet data if searching for stuff for a recipe etc. The GSII will though, which makes no sense to me if both are showing two bars and hspa+ is working???? This is our second 4S but the 1st did the same as well.

9. ScottishMac macrumors newbie

I'm noticing fewer wifi signal bars. If I'm not in the same room as the router then 2 bars is the best I seem to get. If I venture outside it struggles to pick it up. It was definitely better prior to 5.1.

10. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Could it be possible that Apple decreased the Rx power on the phone to try and alleviate the 'battery issues'?