Has Any1 Been Successful at Swapping out Defective iPhone for NEW retail box iphone*?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Nov 9, 2011.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

*there wasnt enough space in the title bar for me to put my entire message:

"has anyone been successful at swapping out a defective iphone for a new retail box iphone *more than once within the 30 day return period" ?

if so what has been wrong with your phone?

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I haven't had any reason to return my phone so no.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

4. al0513 macrumors 6502

There was a goblin living in two of my iphone 4S. They wanted to go back to the Apple store.

5. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Yep, 2 stuck pixels, this one has looser home button, but I think I might keep it

6. VideoNewbie thread starter macrumors 6502

what was wrong with the 2nd one?

i was asking if anyone has swapped out their phone for a new retail box phone more than once

7. c3m macrumors member

I thought the replacements are in a sealed black hard plastic case.

8. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I had a boxed sealed replacement................which had about 4 more defects than my original.

So the replacement is going back and I cant be bothered to get them to send another one. The chances of a yellow tinted screen, and all the other common defects are so high that you might need to get replacement after replacement to find one you are completely happy with.

By that time the iPhone 5 will be out and it all starts over again!

9. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Might as well revert back to an iPhone 4 and wait for the iPhone 5 to come out.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's the difference really between a "new" phone in the retail box and the "refurbished new" phone know in in the warranty box?

I can't tell. I had mine replaced with a warranty one. No issues and the battery lasts longer.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

As long as you can return the phone (14 days), they have little choice but to give you a new one from a retail box.

If they refuse to do the exchange, return it and buy another (and get another 14 days).

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

There is no difference between a black or brown box model and a new one.

13. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Usually I'd rather get a refurb unit as they are tested a great amount and everything is brand new except for the mother board....new battery and all!

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I've been given two new in the retail box. To replace BatteryGate phones that bricked.

Why I don't know. Last year my Antennagate returns were replaced with phones in brown boxes. I don't care about the packaging, only that the phone works.

Apple's got returns down as though that just part of owning an iPhone.

I must say it's a novel concept that works well. Now they need to get responsible & start paying for our gas & time.

I've never returned as many products from a single manufacturer, as I have from Apple. Premium products with a do it yourself fault rate.

Steve Jobs legacy is even the loyal Apple customer are not immune from their ongoing screw ups :)

15. pdr1990, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

pdr1990 macrumors newbie

16. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

No replacement phone/service phone from the Genius Bar is refurbished....this is a myth.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When a product is very new for the first month or so they dont have many phones go in the refurb applecare cycle yet and they will just replace with what they have available and that's new ones.
    Once replacements come in those seperate refurb boxes you have no choice than receive that whether you like it or not its their policy.
    Their refurb process is top notch so I wouldnt cry or make a big fuss about getting one. Make sure you inspect it well before you leave and that everything is working fine. There is some anal people that look for the so called "perfect" iphone and go thru a dozen replacements that they cannot live with. Those people sometimes have more issues than the devices they try to return:)

18. jekyoo macrumors 6502

don't ask for a replacement, just return it and buy a new retail unit. if you're returning online: it'll take a week for them receive it, refund your money, and set back your eligibility.

this is what i did when they didn't want to give me a retail replacement but a 'black box' replacement.