Has any1 used MS skydrive with iPhone 5? what are d best HDDs that synch iPhonewifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Subu, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Subu macrumors regular

Hi

I have a camera roll with lot of data

I need to back it up

Unfortunately this will eat up my iCloud. So I am looking for other paid / free options

Two thoughts that come up to my mind

1. Buy up at Microsoft Skydrive [use free + paid as needed] => any experience anyone ? how easy / tough is it on iPhone ?

2. Use a HDD at home to do this over home wireless / HDD wifi

3. any other smart ideas

PS : I prefer skydrive to iCloud purely because of the costs and also the ease of backing up my PC + iPhone stuff ...nothing else

regards
    Subu

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Dropbox maybe? Dropbox has automatic photo upload whenever you open the app. Also, the more photos you upload the more space Dropbox gives you up to 3GB free. So, by mere photo uploading you can expand a basic 2GB Dropbox account to 5GB. The photos uploaded go to a "Camera Uploads" folder. If you have Dropbox on a computer/other device then those photos will automatically download to those connected computers/devices. Makes it easy to pull the photos out (you don't have to leave them in that folder) and put them where you wish.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

With Skydrive you'll need to manually check each and every photo to upload them, Dropbox uploads everything automatically. I vote for Dropbox.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just a mention here too about Facebook if you happen to use it. FB has recently started to roll out the option of automatic photo uploading direct to FB. This is easier than Dropbox in the sense that once you take a picture it's automatically uploaded to FB. With Dropbox, you actually have to open the app before the upload starts.

The FB app will ask you about this when it rolls out to your account. According to FB, all these pics go to a special album that only you can see and from there you can approve (or not) to photo being seen by everyone else.

I've already been asked about this with my account and I told FB no. But it's an option that's there if you so choose.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Get the PhotoSync apps for starters. Supports photo transfer to almost anything.

For me I sync my photos to my Synology NAS (using PhotoSync)

6. hafr macrumors 68030

Have they changed their views regarding them owning the right to use anything uploaded to their site?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Do you mean Instagram? I'm not aware of Facebook having that opinion, but I know Instagram did, but "clarified" their statement a few days later. By then Instagram had lost about a million accounts though (one of them being mine).

8. hafr macrumors 68030

Nope, I'm talking about the clause that Facebook has had since at least 2007 where they state that by accepting the terms and conditions of being a member, they can use any photo uploaded without having to ask for permission or pay for it.

If Instagram instated such a clause, could it have been shortly after they were bought by Facebook? It wouldn't surprise me...

9. Subu, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

Subu thread starter macrumors regular

just that you have to be careful NEVER to share that account with anyone .. ? anywhere ... ?? and IS that possible on FB ?

else all your efforts and trials and tests on photography would be known to the entire world ?? or ?

regards
    Subu

----------

thanks for the reply

I tried visiting your blog at http://colossus.dsmynas.com/ eager to know about photosync and NAS etc

I get a network error

FYI

regards
    Subu

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…I'll have to look that up. But in regards to Instagram, yes, this happened after FB bought them. It was big social news a week ago or so. They had to clarify their statement, but not before they lost about a million accounts.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

It's what I thought. Instagram's conditions were made the same as Facebook's because they're now "the same"...

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Dropbox gets my vote. Been using it for three years now, not one problem.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, if you wanted to create a new account for that I guess you could. But you'd have to use the FB app on your iPhone with that account.

The album that these pics upload to is not shared. Only you can see it and any picture uploaded to it is only visible to you, UNTIL you publish it. Where then it becomes just like any other photo on FB.
    ----------

I investigated this. Not bad for $2. You can send the photos anywhere. I just sent 350+ to iPhoto. It also works the other way. You can send photos from your computer to the phone. Now I have to decide why I need Dropbox to upload pics.

14. Subu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to all those who replied

Let me try to list the options mentioned

1. Dropbox = 2 GB, 3GB free then pay . In my case I start paying immediately

2. FB = Thanks for the idea. Seems novel. However what about the resolution of the photos and vide ? do they have the same size and resolution as you have on your iPhone ? or are they compressed ? depressed ? ....pressed ??

3. Photosync = send it to PC / Laptop = backup from Laptop. Not a bad idea

4. anything else .... anything I've missed ?

5. So no one voting for skydrive ??

6. Own HDD ??

TIA

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I use DropBox for personal files.
    Skydrive for Work documents.
    Both work really well.
    PhotoSync is nice, but usually I only use between iPhone and iPad to get full quality, or when no data connection for iPad. Photostream downsamples.

Photos? Camera Roll?

Picasa/Google+, free
    Web Albums app, not free, but cheap and one time.

Unlimited photo uploads upto 2048 resolution. Can tell Web Albums, or Picasa desktop app to auto resize on upload.

Unlimited video 60s or less.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Photos uploaded to FB are at original resolution and can be downloaded at any time (there is a download link) at full resolution. FB gives you unlimited storage.

What I mention though is only just now being rolled out. If you don't have an account right now there is no guarantee that you will be offered this option when you create your account. Additionally, unless you use FB for social purposes you may be entirely put off by all the FB social nagging stuff that goes along with a FB account.
    No, not me. I can't access SkyDrive with my non-Intel PowerBook G4 other than through a browser so I don't really use it. The iPhone app means you have to select the photos to upload then upload. With Dropbox it's automatic.
    You can choose where to save your photos using Photosync. I just chose a direct import to iPhoto, but the option to choose a folder or a drive is still there.

17. Subu thread starter macrumors regular

= I use Facebook. So used to social nagging. that's ok

= this is a great idea, IF original resolution , original video def. (not HD) is working

= let me try to open a new account ... ok ...one download now .. hmm...

----------

thanks

even 500GB HDDs are approx $100 +/- these days so IF I go the HDD route it could even be a full back up right ?

is there anything (any specific HDD ... app) that does it fast and easy /.... full backup now to HDD ??

----------

great !!

could you or some one please help me with how to use picasa to backup photos and video ... NOT just view and edit them, but to back them up

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

PhotoSync will back up to your HDD or a place of your choosing, even FB, Dropbox, FTP server, etc. This is the backup of the pics on your phone. If you are meaning a backup of where you backed up, that's something entirely different.