Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hi everyone!

Since my carrier (O2 in Germany) is making it almost impossible to get to NanoSIM cards unless you get the iPhone 5 via them (paying €70+ extra to unlocked cost and renewing your contract), I have decided to cut down my MicroSIM.

Has anybody tried it yet? I already did a Mini to MicroSIM conversion when the iPhone 5 arrived. Got a new uncut MicroSIM now though. I have found this guide here:

http://www.iclarified.com/24489/printable-nanosim-and-microsim-cutting-guide-download

Anyone tried it? Sounds reasonable.

Got Scissors and Sandpaper (80 and 150) ready and loaded.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
i ordered a cutter from eBay. it looks like a stapler. It's worth doing it yourself when you cost in trying to order a micro/nano sim, the time between waiting for delivery and set up. i can just continue on the same sim no fuss and even help others in my family. The cutter will make either a micro or nano from a regular sim.

I can move on to the iphone 5 and can then pass on an old iphone 4 (micro sim) to someone with a 3GS (regular sim) or dumb phone.

if you do it yourself, you run the risk of it not working, and you'll then be going at least a day without a phone trying to get replacement and may miss important calls in the mean time if it's a business phone.

Last edited:

jpg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
i ordered a cutter from eBay. it looks like a stapler. It's worth doing it yourself when you cost in trying to order a micro sim, the time between waiting for delivery and set up. i can just continue on the same sim no fuss and even help others in my family. The cutter will make either a micro or nano from a regular sim.

I can move on to the iphone 5 and can pass then on an old iphone 4 (micro sim) to someone with a 3GS (regular sim) or dumb phone.

I want my iPhone up and running on Friday so it's too late to order a cutter for me. I can get a free MicroSIM from each store in my neighborhood no questions asked and there are about 3-4 Stores in an 2 km radius. They are only bitchy when it comes to NanoSIMs. Maybe it's a problem with how many they have in Stock.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
so if i just put my micro sim cut down into a nano sim I won't have to call att?

that's correct. if you do it correctly. you 'may' also have to sand paper the back to make it thin enough to get fit it into the iP5 sim slot.

----------

I don't have to resort to such crude solutions, my carrier supplies whatever I need. Including a spare should I choose.

i'm sure you also pay through the roof for such service too. some people are using multiple carriers and travel. for them this is easier for the time being keeping the same plans, perhaps cheaper and less hassel.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I added a line to get the iphone 5 at a discount and use it on the main line. I will try what most ppl say. Call customer care and see if they can switch it to the main line before i connect it to itunes. If i have to go to the att store, no biggie. It isnt that far from my house anyhow. So i would just get a sim there.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
that's correct. if you do it correctly. you 'may' also have to sand paper the back to make it thin enough to get fit it into the iP5 sim slot.[COLOR="

Here in Canada if you want to use LTE you need a new LTE nano sim.

Cutting down if successful would work except no LTE speeds.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Here in Canada if you want to use LTE you need a new LTE nano sim.

Cutting down if successful would work except no LTE speeds.

I don't think that's how it works. As long as you have an LTE plan you'd just need to manually punch in the LTE APN (for Rogers it'd be ltemobile.apn)

If I can't source a Rogers nanoSIM by Friday I'll probably be trimming down my microSIM to fit, but it is a Rogers LTE microSIM so no fiddling around with the APNs should be necessary.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I don't think that's how it works. As long as you have an LTE plan you'd just need to manually punch in the LTE APN (for Rogers it'd be ltemobile.apn)

If I can't source a Rogers nanoSIM by Friday I'll probably be trimming down my microSIM to fit, but it is a Rogers LTE microSIM so no fiddling around with the APNs should be necessary.

Others report, You need an LTE sim for Rogers / Fido for LTE speeds and a plan that allows LTE speeds. Most plans do but the LTE sim is required, and you may need to call in to activate LTE. Cut down normal sims will not connect to the LTE network.

Not sure why or if that can change?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/message-id/8393#M8393

Last edited:

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Others report, You need an LTE sim for Rogers / Fido for LTE speeds and a plan that allows LTE speeds. Most plans do but the LTE sim is required, and you may need to call in to activate LTE. Cut down normal sims will not connect to the LTE network.

Not sure why or if that can change?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/message-id/8393#M8393

Not 100% sure, but my guess is it's because they have a different list of towers on them. Just like putting a T-Mobile APN into an iPhone with an AT&T SIM card won't connect you to T-Mobile towers, putting an LTE APN into an iPhone with a 3G SIM card won't connect you to LTE.

sol786

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I just successfully converted my microSIM to a nonoSIM using a knife and a nail file. Took me about 5 minutes, I didn't want to wait to get a new SIM shipped to me from my carrier...

sol786

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I forgot to mention, after I cut mine, I put it in my iPhone 5 and it's been working for the last 7 hours.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Hi everyone!

Since my carrier (O2 in Germany) is making it almost impossible to get to NanoSIM cards unless you get the iPhone 5 via them (paying €70+ extra to unlocked cost and renewing your contract), I have decided to cut down my MicroSIM.

Has anybody tried it yet? I already did a Mini to MicroSIM conversion when the iPhone 5 arrived. Got a new uncut MicroSIM now though. I have found this guide here:

http://www.iclarified.com/24489/printable-nanosim-and-microsim-cutting-guide-download

Anyone tried it? Sounds reasonable.

Got Scissors and Sandpaper (80 and 150) ready and loaded.

I cut down 2 using the same template - 1 worked the other didn't!

Have a backup plan in place just in case...

riyadc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2004
Because Australia

----------

I just used the tray as a template... I didn't bother printing that out, so can't attest to it's accuracy.

Did you have to shave off the thickness using a sandpaper? or did you just cut it?

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Anyone else have success cutting down the sim? To those that successfully cut it did you also sand down the sim?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
I just successfully converted my microSIM to a nonoSIM using a knife and a nail file. Took me about 5 minutes, I didn't want to wait to get a new SIM shipped to me from my carrier...

So it is very possible to do this.

I currently go to school out of the states so I use ATT on breaks and digicel when im at school. I cut my regular digicel using a micro sim cutter. Should i just use the tray from the iphone 5 as a template and cut around the edges to make sure that it fits? I could probably use my att nano sim as a template. About how much shaving did you have to do with that nail file?

Thanks for the input man

jpg

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Hey guys worked perfectly. I cut a little to much on the longer side of the SIM but still no problem. Thickness isn't an issue either. Thank god...

----------

Most useless post I have read so far...this thread is clearly for people who NEED to cut their micro to a nano.

Anyone else have success cutting down the sim? To those that successfully cut it did you also sand down the sim?

I rubbed the back a bit against the sandpaper (150) but it didn't do much so I left it like it was. Worked anyway...

Mrlal8

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Hey guys worked perfectly. I cut a little to much on the longer side of the SIM but still no problem. Thickness isn't an issue either. Thank god...

----------

I rubbed the back a bit against the sandpaper (150) but it didn't do much so I left it like it was. Worked anyway...

Nice so you think I can just put it the sim by just cutting it to nano size and not do any sanding? Have you tried removing the sim to make sure it comes out of the phone and isnt to thick?

----------

Hey guys this is great news. No one needs to worry about sanding down the sim

http://asia.cnet.com/hacked-iphone-5-nano-sim-thickness-doesnt-matter-62218820.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.