Has anybody been able to get a 3G phone on at&t without a data plan (legally?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevin, Aug 3, 2008.

1. stevin macrumors regular

I'd be interested in doing that for 1 member of my family... the other option is to buy a 1st gen phone and give it to them. but they'd benefit from the gps and non-recessed headphone port...

has anybody had success asking at&t to take the data off their plan? I don't want to tell them we lost the phone or anything like that...

I'm guessing nobody has...

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I know here in Canada you are charged $99 if you cancel your Data plan...

3. frotomerket macrumors newbie

they wont let you take the data plan off, because of two reasons:

1. Thats their main source of revenue from iphone sales.
    2. iphone is always connected to the internet, so if you take the dataplan off, you would get a super huge bill from att, which you would most definitely complain about. att doesnt want that hassle.

4. izibo macrumors 6502

Theoretically, you could buy a new iPhone 3G. Then, remove the SIM card from the iPhone and put it in a different phone. You could even use a cheapo go-phone.

Call at&t, remove the data plan, and set it up so that all data is blocked (that way you can't get charged unless it was over wifi). Then, pop the SIM card back in the iPhone 3G.

Note, this will likely violate your user agreement with at&t. However, there is nothing illegal about it. You're not going to go to jail. At the worst, they could sue you to enforce the contract, but that is about it.

5. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

How do you expect him to use the gps without. Data plan. Google maps requires data to work.

6. aneftp macrumors 601

Look lets not beat around the bush with what the original poster really wants. They want to cancel their $30 iphone 3g data plan even though they know they are getting a good deal from ATT for the $199/299 subsidized iphone 3g. ATT is really planning on making money off the $30 iphone data plan (or at least recouping all the costs of subsidizing the iphone 3g)

I think the real question they want to ask is:

Can I use the iphone 3g on a illegal $15 medianet plan from ATT?

No one in their right mine would want to get the iphone 3g without some type of data plan. Plain and simple you need sometype of data plan to fully realize the iphone 3g's potential. If not, you are better off just getting iphone generation 1 or an ipod touch.

People do not want to pay the $30 "smartphone/iphone data/blackberry" internet plan when the $15 data plan works.

So what I recommend is that they just sign up for the $30 iphone data plan when they purchase their subsidized 199/299 iphone 3g. Wait about 30 days, than put the ATT Sim into a "regular ATT flip phone" Wait about a day when doing this so ATT's system catches up with the IMEI scanning.

Call ATT customer service and tell them you are using the regular flip phone and give them the IMEI number. Than log online and re-add the $15 medianet unlimited plan. Than take the ATT sim card out of the regular phone and put it back into the iphone 3g.

I will have to give you a warning here: The ATT contract clearly states the "iphone 3g requires iphone data plan" and ATT reserves the right to put you back into the correct data plan. Meaning if they catch you using the $15 medianet plan, they can and will switch you back to the $30 data plan.

My easiest solution to avoid being audited is staying on step ahead of the game. You would be an idiot if you put your ATT SIM (while on the $15 medianet plan) in your iphone 3g 100% of the time. What I usually recommend is you switch phones on a regular basis. Basically use your iphone 3g like 5 days a week. for 1-2 days, just put the ATT sim back into the regular ATT phone so ATT still thinks you are using the regular phone on a regular basis.

And to answer your question:

Yes, I've gotten ATT to delete the iphone 3g data plan from my plan. My main reason isn't to avoid the charges, it's so I can put the $30 blackberry personal data plan so I can still use my blackberry curve on a regular basis. I alternate between many phones and it's never been a problem.

7. McGiord, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

besides the price what is the difference between the iphone data plan and the medianet?
    ________
    buy vapolution

8. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I'm expecting a native turn by turn to come out in a couple months or so... It will probably have maps loaded and you won't need to use google maps which would download data...

9. aneftp macrumors 601

On principle alone, there is Zero difference between the iphone data plan ($30) /smartphone data plan ($30 for windows mobile devices) and regular phones ($15 medianet plan)

However, ATT's accounting guys have a theory that phones with keyboards (windows smartphones, iphone 3g ....and yes also the iphone 2g (first gen)...however lets exclude the iphone 2g from this discussion because Apple gets a cut of the revenue from the iphone 2g plans so ATT decided to charge people $20 ($15+5 (200 SMS)

So in theory, people using phones with keyboards are consuming more data than people with regular phones. That's why they charge more.