Has anybody done speed tests on their MBPr to determine if Yosemite is faster than Ma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jan 16, 2015.

1. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Not sure whether this thread rhymes with scroll or not.

2. technosix macrumors 6502a

I must say I enjoyed Mavericks more, but perhaps after another few months Apple will get the bugs sorted out of Yosemite. Speed wise I have no desire to benchmark this until it's functionality is sorted.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

The reason why is because I went to the Apple Store, and used Yosemite.

I know I've hated on it in the past, but I can't lie, it was pretty nice!

I was thinking of MAYBE upgrading, but I don't want my computer to slow down.

I have a 2.6GHz processor like the current gen except mine is late 2013. So I'm guessing it should be the same experience.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hadn't noticed any performance degradation, but then I wasn't looking for it either. I like some of the features of Yosemite like the improved search.

If there's no reason to move on to 10.10 and you're happy with Mavericks, hold off.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the exact same mid-2014 model in your signature and I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite and I can tell zero difference as far as speeds.

I did not do a before/after benchmark with any utilities or anything, but in day to day usage I don't feel any difference at all.

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks. I don't really care for search as I never use it but I can understand why others would need it if they have a lot of files, videos, music, etc

I don't really have a reason to upgrade to Yosemite. I won't be using the handoff feature or anything that I see.

The only reason for upgrading would be for 2 reasons:

1. It's aesthetically pretty nice. The fonts, the dock, the wallpaper, etc

2. IF it were faster. Now I know this is almost never the case but Yosemite actually was FASTER and and snappier than Mavericks (although by no means in Mavericks slow) then I would upgrade.

Other than that, Mavericks is like COMPUTER PARADISE! :apple::cool::D

----------

This is good to know incase I decide to upgrade. Thanks for the feedback :apple:

7. leman macrumors 604

What exactly do you mean by "faster"? Yosemite does ship with some optimisations in its UI framework and it GPU drivers are significantly faster (as least for Nvidia and Intel hardware). No idea in regards to memory allocator, but I'd expect some optimisations here as well. But it should be clear that no OS can magically speed up your hardware, so there can be no improvements in CPU-heavy applications.

Now, if you are talking about 'faster' as in 'snappier UI on retina machines', then yes, Yosemite is a clear improvement — at least on all machines that I have installed so far. However, it seems that many people are having performance issues.

I'd say: if Mavericks is working well for you and you don't need the new features of Yosemite, then do not upgrade. Software should be Mavericks-compatible for at least next year until people start actively using Yosemite+ APIs.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Mavericks is working great. Not a single qualm.

By faster I mean opening apps etc. Mavericks is really fast already not saying it isn't but if Yosemite is faster.

But ya I'll prob stay with Mav for now although I do myself upgrading in the future.

9. 2IS macrumors 68030

They seem about the same to me speed wise, but Yosemite is far more functional for my needs. SMS relay alone is worth the price of admission... Which is free to begin with. I really don't see any reason why you would NOT want to upgrade to Yosemite personally.

10. leman macrumors 604

I don't see why opening apps would be faster on Yosemite than on Mavericks. Or, for what matters, on any other OS X.