Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your device like up to the advertised 30 days?

• Yes

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I've never checked

Votes: 34 75.6%

• Total voters

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Apple has been advertising this 30 days of standby time for years. Has it ever been true? My iPad 1, iPad 3 and iPhone 4 all lose 5-10% per day if I leave them unplugged. Okay, that doesn't bother me.

Two weeks ago I left on a 6 day trip and left my 2012 Macbook Air sleeping. It was at 100% when I left and when I got back it was at 10% and the power warning came up. My power settings are as follows:

Put hard disk to sleep when possible - on
Power nap on battery - off
Bluetooth - off

To me it doesn't seem possible to get 30 days under any circumstances.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I could see getting two weeks out of the new air. I think mine loses around 3% overnight so may be able to get 15 days. Not 30 though. The ipad might be able to get 30 if the wifi was off

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Yes. Reason I know is because my sister left for a while (month holiday), leaving her air in sleep. I opened it about 20 days in and it hadn't even dropped to 50%. So looks like it would exceed 30 days quite easily.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Why would I not use my computer for 30 days?!

OP is a Snowden. MUST hold corporations accountable!

Configure for no powernap. No wake up to report location to Find-My-Mac. Try again. Doesn't bother me since mine is used daily.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
This. Big time. Or if you know you are going to not touch it for more than 3-4 days, just do a shutdown.

3-4 Days? That's Craaaayzee

If I'm not touching it for 15 minutes, I shutdown. What's the point of having the fastest boot time in the world?

Shutdown, select windows to reopen on boot. Boot takes 10 seconds. I personally believe people are crazy to put their device on standby for hours.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada

If I'm not touching it for 15 minutes, I shutdown. What's the point of having the fastest boot time in the world?

Shutdown, select windows to reopen on boot. Boot takes 10 seconds. I personally believe people are crazy to put their device on standby for hours.

Sometimes I make it turn off and turn back in when I leave my desk for 30 seconds because I can lol

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Sometimes I make it turn off and turn back in when I leave my desk for 30 seconds because I can lol

Hah! Yes you can!
:D

I just turned it off at of and on before replying to this topic. Took about a minute including this post.

SSD POWAH!:p

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

I think you are in the minority here - most people (including myself) NEVER shutdown. I mean never. I think I only do a complete restart when the Air has to reboot to install updates. While the start time is quick, the wakeup time is even quicker.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Yea it's habitual.

I mean I understand where you're coming from. My custom desktop is NEVER shut. Like maybe once a month. And server is always running.

The thing is we all came from the old days where it's just too much hassle to shut down and reboot.

But that' not necessary with the Air. It basically takes the same time to boot as my some of my older laptops took to wake.:p

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Yea it's habitual.

I mean I understand where you're coming from. My custom desktop is NEVER shut. Like maybe once a month. And server is always running.

The thing is we all came from the old days where it's just too much hassle to shut down and reboot.

But that' not necessary with the Air. It basically takes the same time to boot as my some of my older laptops took to wake.:p

Its just a habit for me, even with my old 2008 iMac at the end of each day I would shut it down, I'm not sure why.

With the Air its usually at the end of the day, but if I'm going somewhere for a few hours then I turn it off too. Why not lol

klch

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2013
CA
I've done a brief test myself, closing the lid with 100% battery and leave my mid-2013 MBA 13" for 2 weeks, it only loses 9%.
So predictably it could last 20weeks in standby!! :eek:

larry918

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
I've done a brief test myself, closing the lid with 100% battery and leave my mid-2013 MBA 13" for 2 weeks, it only loses 9%.
So predictably it could last 20weeks in standby!! :eek:

Did my own real world test as well, left it at 68% and went away for a week. When I came back, it was at 18% - of course, this was with Powernap on.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
External ACD unplug effects life

When I unplug my ACD, my standby. Battery blows- say 15-20% a night- nothing open.

If I unplug, restart- I loose 2%.

On my older 2012 MBA I could not get 7 days period.

I too think standby advertising @30 days is not probable, yet I have never tested. Sometimes I think that the machine refuses to go into a deep sleep for some reason I have never figured out.

skolvikes

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
lol i think they figure no one will leave their computer for 30 days unused enough to verify it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.