Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yangm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
So... I tried every possible combination of drivers/windows install w/o success.
Tried Windows 8/8.1 with bootcamp drivers, intel drivers, moded cirrus logic drivers, even tried some driver programs. This is the only thing keeping me from using EFI windows. BTW you can get amazing battery time when using EFI windows.

Guess I don't need to discuss why BIOS mode is awful.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Since on MacBook1,1 the audio drivers installs a monitoring service that continuously asks the audio port if a S/PDIF cable has been inserted (taking ~1% cpu). Might it be that just installing windows the regular way, and then disabling that service & taskbar program would improve the battery life?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Some Macs have working sound (Cirrus) in EFI and some don't.
Mine is the latter and I've seen no method of getting sound to work. I'm not even sure that it's a driver issue, though some people have tried and found that though it's a Cirrus audio system the driver could be from Intel :confused:
It's possible that the problem is an EFI problem in that the card is not allowed to start on boot (maybe no resources allocated to it).

I believe some people have an external sound card attached to get around the problem.

yangm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
Looks like refind supports efi drivers, that may help.
Also, I remember seeing someone moding a cirrus logic driver to work with xp (long time ago) so I think that we may have better lucky moding drivers, since the device still the same, only with a different ID.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
Apple does it by CSM. Linux does it differently.
This is only my best guess but I suspect it would take a firmware update for models that don't currently work.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Has anybody got audio working with EFI Windows? MBP 13" E2011

I tried everything yesterday to get audio working on EFI windows and still didn't get it to work. I have an E2011 as well. What I had to do was burn the .iso to a disk and run bootcamp and allow it to partition the drive. I ran everything through it and sound now works.

Bootcamp = sound works
EFI = sounds doesn't work

I was trying this with Windows 8.1, by the way.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Does the intel driver and gpu switch work when you install windows 8.1 through EFI ? Unlike bootcamp?

yangm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
Does the intel driver and gpu switch work when you install windows 8.1 through EFI ? Unlike bootcamp?

IDK, I have the 13" model, so no dedicated graphics for me. But everything else seems to run more smoothly.

thisguyiknow

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
So... I tried every possible combination of drivers/windows install w/o success.
Tried Windows 8/8.1 with bootcamp drivers, intel drivers, moded cirrus logic drivers, even tried some driver programs. This is the only thing keeping me from using EFI windows. BTW you can get amazing battery time when using EFI windows.

Guess I don't need to discuss why BIOS mode is awful.
Years later -- the answer is yes

link to my post though I am sure this information is of no use to you anymore

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250137979?answerId=250438736022&page=1

Reactions: yangm

yangm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2014
@thisguyiknow: this is legendary! You should probably post that elsewhere though, as apple may delete that.

I still have that machine, but it's on my mother's hands now.

I see you have a bunch of OSes installed, wonder if you're doing zfs on root... anyway, you can ping me on freenode/matrix/mastodon/whatever (yangm97/@yangm97:matrix.org/@yangm97@liberdon.com).

thisguyiknow

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
I don't have zfs on root (I have done that before but not this time) --I have FreeBSD install on 2 different GPT partitions -> one for / and a swap --

I have posted my findings other places assuming that Apple may delete it -- they did indeed delete some of my other posts on the same issue --

I use mac's built in bootloader to 'trick it' into booting other OS's --> I have all these 300MB hfs partitions that have the System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

but sometimes that boot.efi is a symlink to the EFI partition, others like freebsd can be the boot1.efi file renamed as boot.efi --

Essentially mac's builtin bootloader sees an HFS+ partition with a boot.efi file and 'thinks' it is an OSX partition

I hide all those small partitions in OSX w an FSTAB file -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.