Has Anybody gotten 7HR battery charge on their MBP 13" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarsalan2006, Jun 28, 2009.

1. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

Hey Peeps, got mine last week,,
    mine is the 2.26 one, all i do is surfing the web, youtube and maybe listening to music through itunes and /or VLC, i also like my display resolution close to the middle bar, half ...
    all i get is 5 hour ...is something wrong with it ?
    how much of charge you guys get ? what do you do with it ?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I don't have a MBP, but I do get the claimed 5 Hours on my MacBook.

Youtube will drain battery more, as will listening to music. I have noticed that iTunes will drain about 20-25 min compared to it not playing. Try the same test you did, just without iTunes and without watching any videos. Basically just forums and light websites without flash. That will get you your 7 hours.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

When I initially unplug mine it frequently says 8:45 or some high number like that. Typically my notebook does last long though. I'll have the brightness less than half and the backlit keyboard off and the computer will last me maybe a little more than 6.5 hours. I would only be listening to music, using word and using safari, not using Photoshop or VM Ware or anything. Overall, I'm satisfied with the battery. I've cycled it a few times already and it's lasted about as long as advertised. Keep in mind though I'm not blasting the brightness or using bluetooth or anything.

4. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

How can you guys see the screen at half brightness? I would just be staring at my reflection in anything but a near-dark room.

That said, NO battery ever performs like it's rated to. 7 hours is not a real-world scenario. 5 hours like you mentioned at half brightness and surfing is what I'd expect.

The dirty truth is that the 9400m graphics is integrated physically, but it doesn't consume as little energy as the intel integrated 4500hd solution, so it doesn't save battery like a true integrated solution. The battery is only 3 wH bigger than the plastic macbook's 55 wH battery, and in a test it only outlasted the plastic macbook by 10 minutes. The new 13" mbp jr. does have an LED screen, which should consume less juice, but it's offset by it's power hungrier 9400m graphics. The 15" mbp's battery lasts about half an hour longer with a 73 wh battery. In the brief time that I owned that one before selling it, the battery performed for four hours just surfing on max brightness, no flash, no video, just email, word, pdfs, no music, cnn-type sites, wifi, no bluetooth, integrated 9400m graphics, and a little msn. Using skype video conferencing and playing videos would drastically kill the battery to maybe 2 hours. If I hadn't seen this type of behavior with EVERY laptop that I've ever owned and was a total novice, I'd take it back claiming the battery was a fraud. But if Apple is fraudulent, then so is every other manufacturer.

The way to think about these batteries is that the mbp jr. has typical 6 cell battery from the pc world, and the mbp 15" has a 7.5 cell battery. A typical 9 cell battery has 85 watt hours. A typical 6 cell has 56 watt-hours. I firmly believe that a windows 7 and mac os x laptop will last similarly long and one should not think that a mac = better battery life. It's really all similar in this day and age, with components being similar. The primary thing determining battery life is the battery's size, and the only notable thing about Apple's solution is that it doesn't protrude (which I value). I am thoroughly skeptical that these batteries will last 1000 cycles, though. There is just simply no way that Apple has invented a battery technology that no one else has ever thought of before. There isn't some algorithm that they've concocted out of their laboratories that is a miracle formula. It's really yet again clever marketing. In 5 months, someone let me know if the battery health is reading about 97%. Then that would mean that there really is something special about the battery. Actually, the 17" models had a few months' head start, so we should be hearing soon whether Apple's longevity claims are more marketing hype or there is truth to these claims.

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Source? I want to read about that / see a video about that...

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I get 7 hours regularly (3 times) on my 15" MBP. This is when I surf the net, listen to music and video chat on skype (window mode). When I play video games on my MBP the battery "only" lasts 4 hours.

My screen brightness is half and I see the screen fine in my lit room.

I did, however, perform a battery calibration before I used my computer properly.

7. Kumakun macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd point this out if you haven't seen it:
    http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580&p=4

8 hours, 13 minutes using this:
    "The wireless web browsing test uses the 802.11n connection to browse a series of 20 web pages varying in size, spending 20 seconds on each page (I timed how long it takes me to read a page on Digg and came up with 36 seconds; I standardized on 20 seconds for the test to make things a little more stressful). The test continues to loop all while playing MP3s in iTunes."

From this he got 6.48 hours:
    I strung together 8 reviews on AnandTech and put them each on a single page, images and all. I then scoured the web for big, animated Flash ads and added anywhere from 1 - 4 ads per page; all Flash. Each page is designed to forward to the next after 10 seconds and the loop continues indefinitely. On each machine I opened three Safari windows and pointed them at the first page in the sequence. In the background, once more, I had iTunes playing MP3s.

Other stats and stuff on the page. Definitely worth a read.