Has anybody had their identity/info stolen/sold, or shorted $$ from Temp Agencies?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

...or any other temp agency horror stories? (like the case of Stanely et. al. v. Kelly Services)

I sign up with a well known temp agency, without checking the internet first about the thousands of allegations of fraud and identity theft regarding them (and others), and all of a sudden, all hell breaks loose.

I get an errant credit card charge to a place I have never been before on a credit card not yet activated. This turns in to a mess. I think of who I gave my social # to and it's the temp agencies when I look for supplementary income. And then I find out I am not the only one to fall victim to this once established industry.

My suspicions are with them, since only schools I attended many years ago and social security are the only ones who also have my number.

Homeland Security, while very friendly, says most of this type of stuff comes from fat fingers, or people punching in your info in a sloppy manner. Gee, thanks Uncle Sam, that makes me feel a whole lot better. ?? I suppose they are right, but the thought of my credit taking a hit gives me a sick feeling in my stomach, especially since I have been good with payments and credit for nearly 20 years!

This comes on the heels of Stanley vs. Kelly Services which brought the employment agency giant to the news. Of course, this had to do with money being the key issue.

Any experiences?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I signed up for one of their jobs a few years back, haven't had any issues (that I know about).

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I signed up with Kelly many years ago, and from time to time, I would get a vacation check. When I got it I was so happy about the unexpected check, I didn't work out the math to see I was shorted. I prolly bought extra beer or something back then. ;)

Somebody working as a temp for Kelly, "Stanley" of Stanley et. al. I presume, must have realized that the vacation checks, as promised in their literature and website, were not as much as they were supposed to be.

Years later, I end up with $29 dollars for vacation pay not paid to me that was owed to me. I have to admit I went with Kelly back then many years ago because the "other" independent mom and pop temp agency didn't have "vacation" pay. Kelly ended up getting my business due to this, what was to become, false advertising. They hooked me in like a fish. I was a college student and desperate for any work.

I didn't see it as a big deal, but then if you take that amount, multiply it times the people like me who worked there for at least a year, then there's a lot of money being confiscated.

When I heard about the lawsuit against Kelly Services (the Stanley case), I paid very little attention to it and in no way did I think it would end up becoming a check in the mail.

One person I know got $500 dollars+ plus that was owed to them!

I am a Democrat and during the 1996 Presidential Debates, the typically angry and dour Senator Bob Dole tore into Manpower temp agency, and I didn't get why he brought it up back then. It turns out they were America's biggest employer and this during the time of our nation's longest period of growth and prosperity.

I would say this (Manpower temp agency) was the first big company I heard publicly dissed, long before we heard about Madoff Inc, AIG, and the whole host of other big company scandals. I was naive enough back then to think big companies had some sort of oversight.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is some good advice, I am going to be a bit more weary of these types of hiring agencies from now on. I know I have seen kelly quite a few places on monster or careerbuilder.

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I have spent a lot of my life either in high tech or watching the "abuses" of the evil empire, Microsoft, in the '80s and '90s, that I really didn't realize that they were nothing compared to other types of big business, whether it be lending, mortgages, or temporary agencies, when it came to unethical practices.

It's just when the bad guy is the richest man in the world, Bill Gates, it tends to get more headlines. I think, or hope, Mr. Bill has given back much of his time and money to save his reputation by fighting poverty, AIDS, and malaria. He's kind of like today's version of Andrew Carnegie (big bad businessman turned philanthropist).