Has Anybody Signed Up for the AT&T Credit Card and Used the $650 Towards an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HUGE AL, Sep 7, 2015.

1. HUGE AL macrumors regular

2. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

That card is a bad deal. If you want to use a rewards card to subsidize your purchase, get a 2% cashback card, like the Citi Double Cash card.

3. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

How is 2% cash back > $650???

4. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

First, it's $555, after the annual fee.

The offer requires very specific compliance (e.g., "Make your phone purchase using your unique phone offer link") and the credit can take a few months to post (so you may have to pay your statement and then wait for a credit). If you're willing to follow the rules exactly and have great patience, it might be worth it. The average customer will be frustrated.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

That's one of the best bonuses I've ever seen on a card. Usually ~$500+ rewards require over $5,000 in spending.

If you can get rid of the card after receiving the bonus but before the annual fee give it a shot and let us know how it works.

6. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

Is this speaking from experience? That is the crux of this thread as can be seen from the title.

Actually, the earning can be quite lucrative for people who shop online and like to fly. The $650 is icing. I'm surprised nobody has tried this as it's been out for almost 6 months and there has been ZERO mention on the forums.

7. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Not with this card, but I am very knowledgeable about rewards credit cards and sign-up bonuses.

If you follow its rules and understand the posting delay, this could be a good card for some. I don't like to pay an annual fee and many people could struggle with the very specific terms of this card. YMMV.

8. Maui19 macrumors regular

No offense, but that is a specious argument IMO. I have signed up for this card and will try it out. I have read this card's rules and restrictions in detail and don't find them particularly onerous.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why is this a bad deal? Please explain.
    2% of a $749 phone is $150. Why not get the card, do the deal and then put the card in the drawer? Keep all your other spending on the 2% cashback card.

10. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I'm going to open one, buy a phone and close it. 95.1$ annual fee is a killer.

11. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

2% is worse than that. It is $15 on a $750 purchase not $150

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I made a thread about this the other day. While I personally will not use the offer (credit pull is not worth it to me), it is a hell of a deal.

Also, discover 10% cash back offer with Apple purchases right now is crazy.

13. Maui19 macrumors regular

I used this offer to get a new phone. It worked very well through the link provided by Citi. I ordered last Monday evening and got the phone on launch day. I've already sold my own phone, so my net net on the cost of the new phone is about $30. It's a heck of a deal if you ask me.

14. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I got this card in August to meet the minimum spend before the 6S launch. I was able to preorder a 6S using the link no problem. Now it's the waiting game for the $650 credit. Citi was smart enough to charge the annual fee in the first billing cycle to offset people who will cancel before the first year. I checked my statement and this card is also earning 3x points from apple.com.

15. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Got my $650 credit. You have to wait 2 billing cycles after you meet all of the requirements to get it, but any AT&T charges have 0% interest during the first 7 months you have the card. Not for the feint of heart or weak of credit, but it's a good deal for a new iPhone.

16. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I'm assuming this works for a new phone on an existing line, or do you need to activate it on a new line of service?

17. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I used it on an existing line.

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Just a note to those considering getting the card and then cancelling to try to avoid the annual fee: the fee is prorated for the year, so if you cancel prior to owning the card for a full year, the amount will be adjusted to the appropriate portion for the amounts that you held the card.

If this credit takes several months to apply (often rewards such as these require that you spend a certain amount or have the account open for several months before you are credited the reward), you may still be required to pay a portion of the annual fee.

Also the fee is charged shortly after you activate your card and not at the end of the year. So you'd likely need to pay it, then be credited for the difference if you cancel several months later.