Has anybody sold their old iPhone in anticipation of the new one?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I always do, recycle repeat after every release. I'm not sure if I should though kind of to early but will probably get better money now then when there is a boatload of them weeks from now.

Has anybody sold theirs already?

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No. You're spending £600 anyway when the new one comes out, what's the point of saving £50ish but then having no decent phone for a month and a bit.
Having my phone is worth more to me. Not because I'm a zombie or anything, but looking up the nearest café, petrol station or bus stop and checking how we're doing in the Olympics or how my local football team are doing is a nearly daily activity. Not having a phone which can do that would just make everything harder.

Will sell when I have the new one in my hand :)

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I personally will not sell before I had a new iPhone
The cost differential between selling early and being with a different phone for a few months is not worth it to me at all

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I just don't sell my phones, period. I've debated it with myself and came to the conclusion that I'll need to have a backup phone around. You never know what could happen to your shiny new smartphone.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I sold my wife 16gb iPhone 4s and am getting $415 amazon credit. Its like cash to me anyways with Amazon. I gave my wife my 32gb iPhone 4s since she absolutely cannot live without it. Amazon was only giving $460 credit for my 32gb 4s so I figure selling off the16gb was more bang for the buck.

I picked up a Nokia lumia 900 off eBay for $220. I am phone junkie and windows phone os is rock solid. I love the lte speed and even though it's single core its still very fluid and no lag u like my galaxy nexus which can still lag despite being pure google.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Nope, I prefer keeping my old phone as a backup, and even if I did want to sell it I'd prefer to keep the iPhone until I replace it instead of using whatever other phone I could find.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I personally will not sell before I had a new iPhone
The cost differential between selling early and being with a different phone for a few months is not worth it to me at all
I'm gonna sell mine the last week of August. I'll just go 3 weeks without a phone. I'd never get an Android or WP7. iPad can work with data for those 3 weeks.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
I'll throw it on ebay for a 7 day auction the day of the keynote after it's confirmed to be released 7 days later. I don't want to be without a phone and the extra 50 bucks for selling it a month early is not worth it to me.

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Sold my 4 last week :eek: Currently using HTC Sensation with Tmobile prepaid and preety happy with it. Can't wait for the Keynote and see if Tim Cook can convince me on shelling out $700 for unlocked iPhone 5. If its more of the same then I'll probably just buy an iPod touch or iPad 7 incher because I must have the latest when it comes to Apple.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
So a person sells their iPhone now to raise funding etc in anticipation for the new iPhone, which no one knows what looks like aesthetically, or whats finally going to be under its hood !

Madness.

:rolleyes:

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
So a person sells their iPhone now to raise funding etc in anticipation for the new iPhone, which no one knows what looks like aesthetically, or whats finally going to be under its hood !

Madness.

:rolleyes:
LOL!! you speak as though you're anticipating a flip phone or something..

djransom

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I usually do, but this year my 4S will be going to my one of my children since I just purchased my 4S a couple of months ago.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
It's a little early to sell my 4S, however I am thinking about locking in my quote with Gazelle. When the new iPhone is released the quotes will more than likely drop in price. Their price quotes are good for 30 days so I might lock mine in soon.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm keeping mine until I have the new iPhone. I don't have another phone to transfer my plan to, and I would lose my phone number and unlimited(faux) data plan if I stopped service and then restarted it.

Besides, there is a small chance the next iPhone will be a lame upgrade and I won't want it.

daveathall

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Put in a bag on Saturday, sent to Mazuma today, will have £285 on Wednesday for an unlocked white 16gb iP4S in the UK.

I have used my wife's upgrade to get a Samsung Galaxy S3, I still have my update due, I will see what the iPhone 5 looks like and upgrade then. Mazuma will get the one I don't want.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Put in a bag on Saturday, sent to Mazuma today, will have £285 on Wednesday for an unlocked white 16gb iP4S in the UK.

I have used my wife's upgrade to get a Samsung Galaxy S3, I still have my update due, I will see what the iPhone 5 looks like and upgrade then. Mazuma will get the one I don't want.
Surely your wife will be able to have your upgrade as you've used hers ! lol

Their are lots and pro's and con's both for the iphone and the s3.

Ive used both and personally remained with the iphone 4s.

Exciting times ahead.

daveathall

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Surely your wife will be able to have your upgrade as you've used hers ! lol

Their are lots and pro's and con's both for the iphone and the s3.

Ive used both and personally remained with the iphone 4s.

Exciting times ahead.
There is that.:D She has a Nokia talk and text phone that I cant talk her into an upgrade, she just uses it to erm, talk and text:eek:. I do have the best of both worlds, and you are 100% right, exciting times ahead.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's a little early to sell my 4S, however I am thinking about locking in my quote with Gazelle. When the new iPhone is released the quotes will more than likely drop in price. Their price quotes are good for 30 days so I might lock mine in soon.
good to know about gazelle. thanks

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
i wont be selling mine until I see the new iPhone, not the leaked photos. Even then, I still won't because I need my phone. Even if it means getting less for my old phone.