Has anyone actually gotten the fans on a Late 08 MBP to throttle up on their own?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, Nov 5, 2008.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you have, please post what temps you had when it happened. I'm REALLY curious what the default fan ramps are in these things after seeing some threads here about it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know it's not the MacBook Pro Late 2008 but the tests on the MacBook that I've done show that the fan doesn't throttle up until the CPU hits +200° F.

No wonder a lot of users are saying that the new laptops are a lot quieter. My Late 2007 MacBook throttles up at 140° F.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Try installing Windows.. ;) Seriously, merely installing it makes the fans go wild a few times. Haven't managed to do it in OS X yet.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That applies to all the Macs I've installed Windows on. During that time there isn't any software management of the fans so they just run at full blast.

5. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

The only time I've seen it throttle up in OS X is when I've been playing Spore (or using Windows via VM).

Even converting video hasn't done much.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

When I was installing Windows, I didn't hear any fans... only the CD drive spinning.

7. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I started a discussion thread about this on apple discussions, and there seems to be alot of mixed reports.

I know on my 2.53 MBP, the CPU temperature will exceed 70C before the fans even START to pass 2000 RPM.. This is unacceptable in my opinion.

I now run SMC and bump both fans to 4000 when I play any games. That keeps it down under 70C

I think they need to re-write the fan controller code to start increasing the fan RPM proportionately to the CPU.. The way its currently done is it seems to wait for the temps to hit critical, then bump the fans for a few minutes, then let it get back to critical, them bump the fans again..

I also noticed that my IDLE temperatures using the 9400M is about 46-48C and when using the 9600M is about 60-63C. That = a warm case for an IDLE machine. Odd. I now have SMC do 2500 rpm minimum if i run the 9600

I'd rather a bit of noise if i'm doing work intensive processing then have my CPU life reduced and burn my fingers on my case.

8. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

With the brief few hours I had with mine (Sent it back for a screen defect) I did install Quake Wars Enemy Territory running on the Mac OS, opening the game up instantly fired the fans into a very loud sounding fast speed, I didn't install SMC so don't know the speed the were at.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know if it was an update or what, but before my computer would at max at around 75°C. Now it never spins up until 95°C which I don't understand. Of course since it's the winter and I don't turn up the heat much, the fans never spin up anymore. I thought Apple wanted to prolong the GPU life; I think they want to just kill the computers now.

10. hari-bhari macrumors regular

yesterday i got my cpu up to 94C and not even a blip of increase from the fans. i don't get it....

11. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I haven't seen my fans go past 2007RPMs, and my CPU was at about 140F.

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, run the hardware diagnostic in extended mode, that will get them up. Another time after I had imported user accounts via the migration tool, the mds process was running for indexing and the fans got up to 3800rpm before cooling off.

In general it seems to take a lot more to get the fans spinning fast than previous models. But keep in mind that the fans on both older and newer models aren't tied just to CPU temperature but some mixture of temperatures from multiple sensors. If the CPU is hot, but the rest cool then the fans likely won't speed up.

But if you really want the fans going, run a 3D game to get the GPU cranking. Nothing will build heat faster than that.

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

If I'm using the 9600GT with anything remotely resembling 3D graphics, under windows or OS X, the fans will quickly get up to full blast.

14. y0zza macrumors regular

With the 9600M GT enabled and driving a 1920x1200 external display in addition to the built-in one, my fans come on quite often.

Anytime the CPU temperature goes above 75-80C, the fans will ramp up and stay around 3000-5000rpm until the temperature drops back to below 75C or so.

However, when the machine was new the fans refused to budge above 2000 rpm. Since adjusting the minimum fan speed with SMC Fan Control, the fans are much more responsive - perhaps the SMC settings were corrupted initially.

Whereas before I was easily able to push the CPU temperature above 100C before the fans came on, it's now not possible to break 90C without the fans ramping quickly to 5000RPM.

15. south8212 macrumors 6502

mine did for the first time today....i was running handbrake, photoshop, and safari at once. I was also using the high powered graphics card. Fans actually ran fairly well imo not a whole lot of heat after they fired up!