Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Have had every iphone on launch day since the original. Talked myself into the 7 plus even after realizing there was no major design change this year. After only about 2 months I grew tired of the same old design and had to use one of my jumps on tmobile to get myself a v20. Phone worked great and was fast but man, I like to enjoy my phone for how it looks and feels and it just bored the hell out of me. Too slippery to hold without a case and skins did no better. Theres got to be others out there like me....

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Nope, my phone is a tool/device that accomplishes things that I need to do on a daily basis. If it accomplishes those tasks without problems or issues then it does what its supposed to.
Its not an xbox game or toy I get bored playing with.
There are plenty of other phones which can do the same jobs the same if not better and look way better with more features.

Reactions: baypharm

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There are plenty of other phones which can do the same jobs the same if not better and look way better with more features.

That's subjective and up to each individuals needs and uses.
Looks is not that high on my priority list but Im more into reliability, easy integration, simple interface and ease of use.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Man, these posts are already starting? Usually it's around May/June where we see posts of people who have grown bored of their iPhone.

As @Applejuiced mentioned, I also view my phone as a tool/device that accomplishes the tasks that I need to do day in, day out. For me, the iPhone is the best tool to accomplish said tasks each day. I know there are other options out there, but my iPhone fits in pretty nicely with my other iOS/Apple products I own.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Have had every iphone on launch day since the original. Talked myself into the 7 plus even after realizing there was no major design change this year. After only about 2 months I grew tired of the same old design and had to use one of my jumps on tmobile to get myself a v20. Phone worked great and was fast but man, I like to enjoy my phone for how it looks and feels and it just bored the hell out of me. Too slippery to hold without a case and skins did no better. Theres got to be others out there like me....
No.

Not really.

I saved myself the hassle by realizing very early on that the 7/7+ were simply another iteration of the 6 series.

I already have the 6s+ - with the fugly camera bump. I wasn't about to double down on more fugly with that god-awful dual camera bump that has attached itself to the back of the 7/7+ like a skin lesion. Using JOD for this would have been a waste.

Thus, I did not suffer one bit what happened to you.

My wife and I upgrade every 2 to 3.5 years. Next year we'll have the iPhone 8. If it's still fugly, we'll pass again. If not then we get what we want. No settling.

Having a new iPhone every year is not enough of a motivator for me. Aesthetics trumps all.

PS. No cases. I hate cases. Case users often use this reason (slipperiness) to justify using cases, but my 6s+ has gone without a case for over a year without dings, dents, scratches, scuffs or anything else.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005

If you're looking for validation, you came to the wrong forum. If it makes you happy to be able to use themes and change icons and wallpapers and use widgets, have cool effects switching screens, etc., and really customize your phone, then go for it. Android is your friend. It's no secret the iPhone doesn't do that.

Personally I carry both because I need some tools that iPhone doesn't offer, but iPhone is my main phone because it works better for what I do day-to-day.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are many different cars out there too, and many washing machines, and many types of all kinds of other products that people buy and use for a long time (until they might need another one for one reason or another).

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

Best phone I ever had was a BlackBerry Curve. It did what I needed, and the rest of the time it stayed out of my way, as a phone should. Dropped it countless times. It just came apart, and I snapped it back together. No big deal!

These iPhones are bullsheet! Too big, too costly, too silly.

Reactions: JustJoshua

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Best phone I ever had was a BlackBerry Curve. It did what I needed, and the rest of the time it stayed out of my way, as a phone should. Dropped it countless times. It just came apart, and I snapped it back together. No big deal!

These iPhones are bullsheet! Too big, too costly, too silly.
Not sure how an iPhone can't be used to do what is needed and stay out of the way the rest of the time, like any other (smart)phone. Or how they are too big or too silly given that most other smartphones these days are basically no smaller and generally bigger, not to mention that there's a fairly small by any recent standards SE available as well.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
Having had every Samsung galaxy from the s2 I made the switch to iPhone 7 plus. In my opinion is that the iPhone just works no messing with settings every day to get good battery life. I'm glad I made the switch

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I switched from an iPhone 7 to a Pixel but it wasn't because I was bored of the look of the device. If anything, I was bored of iOS but not the overall look of the device; but this wasn't the reason I switched. I switched because I felt like the Pixel was a better product for me for how I use my phone.

Reactions: bchreng

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

But no "other" phone plays so nice with my iPads, iMac and MacBook Pro units.

My iPhone allows me the mobility to get out of my office. Sure there are other devices but none of them are supported like Apple does!

We all have choice . . . . . . . exercise it!:apple:

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Android vs iPhone is like a super-hot woman vs the girl-next-door - you go out with the first for a while but marry the second.
Maybe this explains why after being an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G days (with the occasional random fling with android devices along the way), I wanted to switch to an Android phone, perhaps I'll be back after awhile.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'll go against what many here have stated and say that I care about design. Android and iOS both do what I need in a phone, so I can choose from either. Phones have gotten to the point where I don't need the fastest processor, highest resolution screen, or best camera. As long as those things are good enough and the battery can last me all day, I base my buying decision mostly on appearance.

That being said, even though the iPhone 7 has the same dimensions as the iPhone 6s and is almost identical in design, the position of the camera on all models and the almost indistinguishable antenna lines on the jet black model make it look so much nicer than the 6/6s, IMO.

I never owned a 6-series iPhone since I thought they had the ugliest iPhone design yet, but I couldn't resist a jet black iPhone 7.

Reactions: eyoungren

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I mostly care about what I could do with my iPhone for fun, rather than considering the hardware design as a form of entertainment. Wait, you do realize that there is a power button on the phone, and you are supposed to turn it on and use it, rather than staring at the phone itself, don't you?!

It's like a telescope, You are supposed to *through* it, not look *at* it.

Reactions: macTW

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Android vs iPhone is like a super-hot woman vs the girl-next-door - you go out with the first for a while but marry the second.
You marry the second because the first is bipolar and has relationship issues.
[doublepost=1479423438][/doublepost]
Marriage is for idiots.
Hmmm…I've been an idiot for over 19 years now then. :D

But I'm her idiot. :)

CrownVic

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2016
The only way you could be bored with it is if you had a 6s or 6s+. I came from a 5s, so the 7 Plus is a HUGE upgrade. I don't think I'll ever get bored with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.