Has anyone been able to exchange their 5s for another color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYY FaN, Oct 10, 2013.

1. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I ordered the space gray online at launch day and after being able to see the other white colors, I've considered switching to silver/gold. I went to a local Apple store, they had the silver in stock, but they would not allow me to exchange my phone. They said their stock is strictly for pick-up reserves made online. They said I would have to return my phone for a refund, wait the 24-72 hours for AT&T to give me my upgrade eligibility back and then try to purchase a new phone all over again.

I called Apple's corporate number and they regurgitated the same speech. What gives? I've exchanged previous iphones at launch to get a larger capacity without issues. Is this a new policy? I've called up several Apple stores in the past couple of weeks searching for silver/gold stock and they said I would be able to just go in and do an exchange, pending they had those colors in stock of course.

2. acarney macrumors 6502

That sounds about right; I was told I could return the phone within the standard return window and then buy a new one if a different color was in stock. The discount is probably the issue you for and I don't doubt that AT&T's systems take a day or two to update.

It might be a different method of inventory systems. Apparently ANY returned item (even if it's just canceling an online order with instore pickup) goes to "open box" status... so I figure everything is just being processed as "sold" or "returned" and no exchanges are taking place.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Even if your past experiences are different, do you think if you're getting the same speech at retail and corporate that perhaps this year is different? If you really, really, really want to know, get up, go out to the store and see what they say.

Bring your box and your receipt.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Reading is FUNdamental.

rif.png

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's weird. Virtually every post I've seen from people exchanging an iPhone 5s (before in-store pickup went live) had them returning their old iPhone 5s, then getting in the line of people waiting to buy an iPhone 5s.

I don't think I've seen anyone post that they just walked in and got an immediate exchange for a non-defective one. :confused:

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

They won't let you do an exchange for another color. You can pay full price for a phone, return the one you have, and then put the new one on your line.

You can also upgrade a different line on your account (reserve online to pick up in store) then, return the one you have and put that new phone on your line. That's pretty much it.

7. DefDad macrumors member

That's a bummer. I was able to exchange a grey for a silver at Best Buy without any problem.

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I exchanged my grey for gold a week after launch. The trick is to buy the phone online for in store pickup and then go in and explain what you are trying to do. They will then return the iphone you just ordered for in store pickup(this is just a method to hold inventory) then they will perform a return of the old phone or an exchange and sell you the new color. They may have changed the process.

9. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

When you ordered your iPhone, you entered into a legally binding contract for your space grey phone. You have made your selection. You are not permitted to switch. Abusing the return policy merely due to a phone "color" is prohibited.

10. oops1975 macrumors 6502

I bought 32GB space gray on Launch day. On 10/1, I exchanged it for 64GB Gold. I did not even give them the box or anything. I just gave my space gray back, paid $100 and walked out of Apple store with Gold Phone.

11. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

This is what you need to do, keep an eye on apple's website, when the phone you want shows, just add a line to your existing acc, go to the store, and tell them that what you want to do is an exchange, they will need to do a return and do the exchange on the spot, just make sure they do not do a return on your original phone, or you will end up with a new line on your acc, with no phone on it...

12. D3TSURA macrumors member

I returned my 32 GB iPhone to get a 64 GB and I didn't have to wait 24-72 hours. What I did is when I returned my 32GB iPhone to Apple, I called my carrier (Verizon) while I was at the store and asked them to change the upgrade eligibility for the line. They may need to speak to the employee to verify that you have actually returned the phone. This was a short 3-4 minute phone call and the second I hung up I checked my eligibility online and it had already change had already changed making me eligible to purchase the 64 GB phone.

Before I left though, I did chat with both Verizon and Apple CSR and was told that this would be possible. So if I were you I would call AT&T and ask if it would be possible for them to make the change to the date.

Also, don't get mad at them if you are able to do go and it takes a while to get your new iPhone. This is because the order must get processed through Apple's online system and they will not be able to bring the phone out to you until you receive the email stating that your order is ready for pickup.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yes, this is what we had to do. I ordered a space gray 64 and decided that the "upgrade" from my 5 wasn't worth it so I went to apple, stood in line, and when it was my turn, I returned my gray one (my verizon eligibility updated instantly), and purchased the 32-gig silver for my wife all in two back-to-back transactions.

There's no such thing as an "exchange" for a non-defective device...

14. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Actually there is, just did it today at my apple store.

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's all semantics, but when I worked there, what people called an "exchange" was actually a transaction where we first return/refund the original device, and then sell the new device.

It could all be done on one receipt, but it was definitely a return and then a sale.

16. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

That's weird, because my upgrade was never restored or anything.

17. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

I was able to swap out my 32 gb space grey for a 32gb gold at the apple store. Was an easy process as long as you do it within 30 days.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think some of you just got lucky. Not all Apple stores are managing returns/exchanges in the same way.

19. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This is the method that will work every time.

Someone else already said it, but it seems that a few people got lucky and were able to do a simple exchange. They are "supposed" to do a refund/return and then a new purchase.

1.get new line
    2.order phone online for in store pickup using new line
    3.get phone from apple store (activated on new line)
    4.go to carrier and switch lines (put new line on old phone)
    5.go back to apple store and get refund for old phone
    6.cancel new line

Long way around the block but it works without fail.

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

You should be able to look on your receipt and see how they did it.

21. kbuck1984 macrumors member

Not true. I traded my wife's space Grey for a silver one. Walked in told them I wanted to exchange it, no questions asked other than "which one would you like?" Walked out with a different phone. Didn't pay a penny.

22. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

If I hadn't been told otherwise, I would have thought my transaction were an "exchange" too. I bet if you look at your receipt, it's two transactions.

----------

Well, there you go....

23. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

Just curious, where are you getting this information from?

24. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

HMM, are you the Soup Nazi? "If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone within 30 days of purchase for a full refund with no restocking fee."

25. averlus macrumors regular

i was in the exact same situation as you. here's a little extra info on that: at least with at&t, i know for a fact my upgrade reset instantly (i checked it as soon as i returned my space grey) so in theory you could go return the phone then immediately buy the color you want.

now if they have the phone in stock is a different story.. i'm still waiting on my gold :D but if that's the color you really want, go for it. you're the one that has to stare at it for the next 1-2 years!