Has anyone been able to unlock iPhone 5 from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan88, Sep 26, 2012.

1. macfan88 macrumors member

Anyone got lucky and got an unlock from AT&T?

2. satchow macrumors 6502

AT&T wouldn't unlock mine, but I paid $10 to someone on Ebay and they did it for me.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

didnt get it unlocked by AT&T but I found someone on ebay that did it for $9.

4. tcb9289 macrumors member

Agreed. I've heard really positive things about an ebay user named unlock_fusion. I used a different service, but I'm still waiting for my unlock.

FYI to OP, you may see weirdly varied pricing for iPhone 5 unlocks, the difference is that the more expensive ones typically cover a shorter period of time for the unlock (unlocked in 2 hours vs 48 hours).

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

This.

unlock_fusion was incredibly fast (about an hour).

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

And even the ones that advertise 48 hours get it done in 3.

I used this listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190730802412?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

7. Vivid5500 macrumors newbie

I used unlock_fusion and received two iPhone5 codes.. one took about 3 hours and the other took about 20 mins. Haven't verified with an actual SIM card but I got the Unlock message from iTunes.

I used the same service to unlock the two iPhone 4's that I was upgrading from. I verified with a T-Mobile SIM that it worked. So in all, I purchased 4 codes from them and they all worked.

8. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Going to get mine unlocked through Unlock Fusion asap.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm not in a hurry to get it unlocked since I'm not travelling overseas any time soon. But I think I'll take advantage of this unlock_fusion phenomenon before whatever loophole he is using closes, and the jig is up.

10. TheTweetyBird macrumors member

Pros to unlocking?

I have AT&T 16gb iphone 5, please forgive the naive question, what would be the advantage to unlock? Could I use tethering, without paying AT&T extra? (I have the unlimited data plan) or any other advantages. The only advantage I am aware of is using the phone with other cel companies. :eek:

11. tcb9289 macrumors member

You're correct . . .The biggest advantage is that you can use the phone with other carriers. I'm an at&t customer, and I used to use my unlocked (1st gen) with the old $10 unlimited mediaNet data plan that at&t had. Basically (before at&t began sweeping IMEI's) I used it as a way around their mandatory smartphone data plan policy.

I may be wrong as this is based on my past experience (I'm sure if I am someone will point it out), but my understanding is that the ability to use Facetime over 3G/4G and ability to tether are part of the carrier settings that come pre-loaded on the device. The carrier settings are distinct from lock status. They are not unchangeable, but they are independent of whether the phone is locked/unlocked.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

How exactly are they able to unlock a phone that is under contract with AT&T--or did you pay the no-commitment price?

I was under the impression that you otherwise had to buy an unlocked iPhone upfront, wait for the contract to expire so that AT&T can do it, or jailbreak/unlock it.

I believe you by the way -- I'm just curious how this is done.

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm assuming these individuals have access to Apple's database of unlocked IMEIs, and they append to it. But I'm not 100% sure how they do it.

14. tcb9289 macrumors member

Yes, this is my understanding too. From what I've read, these guys are legitimately employed with a carrier (or apple itself?) with authority to grant unlocks by adding a phone's IMEI into apple's whitelist/database of unlocked devices. Though probably a terminable offense on the part of the enterprising employees, the process is pretty effective.

My question has always been whether original carriers like at&t/spring can rescind the unlock status if they figure out it was obtained without their consent . . .

15. BSoares macrumors regular

That would be pretty messed up if they did... Especially because your contract is still in place, who cares if you're using the iPhone with them or not, you're still paying for the plan you chose.

16. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

I was able to unlock mines but not through unlock fushion. It was through cellunlocker.net I paid $20 for it though.

17. davewolfs macrumors regular

AT&T did mine at same time I did my old 4. Yes it is under contract.

18. danzzz macrumors member

+1. that dude unlock_fusion on eBay is simply amazing!

got my iphone 5 factory unlocked in less than 10 hours for only $10.

19. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

should i pursue it for value? or is unlocking just now devalued so significantly?

20. tcb9289 macrumors member

I got my iPhone 5 unlock done through ebay (not unlock_fusion, but I hear great things).

I was wondering the same thing, but ultimately decided that $9 was such a small amount that it would be worth it, if for no other reason than the peace mind that comes with knowing that I can pop a prepaid sim in it if the going ever gets tough. The way I looked at it, even if I don't get any more money when I sell the phone in a year, the cost was so small that it's worth the gamble. . . especially when you're talking about $9 compared to the total cost of the phone spread out over 12 months.

21. alent1234 macrumors 603

do you need to jailbreak as well and can you update iOS as the updates come out?

i only ask because i'm on a plan with my inlaws and they like to go to europe for vacations

22. KC2 macrumors regular

If my understanding is correct, jailbreaking and unlocking are two different and independent things.

Unlocking removes the carrier restriction/lock that is tied to your phone allowing you to use any carrier's SIM (in Europe as well).

Jailbreaking modifies the OS and is (mostly?) unrelated to the device itself being locked/unlocked. That said, to answer your other question, you generally do not want to update the iOS as updates come out if you are jailbroken. You CAN, but it will disable the jailbreak. Wait for the teams to release an accompanying jailbreak for the iOS update and then update per their instructions.

^This is the reason I'm JB on iOS5 right now with my iPhone 4. Hanging out waiting on the iOS6 JB (which would likely also be the iPhone 5 JB) and still trying to decide if I want/need an iPhone 5.

23. nowstime macrumors regular

Quick question...

unlock_fusion from eBay seems like a legit unlock service which will help me use my new iPhone 5 abroad but before I jump, one quick question.

Once I unlock my current iPhone 5, what happens if I have to replace my phone later? I have Applecare Plus and wondering if the unlock will be available to the new replacement phone.

Thanks in advance...

24. kevroc macrumors 6502

No. The unlock is IMEI based which is unique per phone.