has anyone been denied warranty at apple for jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by beerent13, Feb 10, 2010.

1. beerent13 macrumors newbie

okay i hear two rumors. one, apple can and will detect a jailbreak any way possible, and deny warranty. two, i hear that a full restore will save you.

has anyone been denied? has anyone been successful?

2. vaxt macrumors newbie

Pretty certain they can't "Detect" you've jailbroken your phone if you do a full restore.

3. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

if you restore it they can't tell....otherwise I believe they are well within their rights to refuse to help under warranty because according to them jailbreaking could damage your iphone/ipod. I've never seen such a thing, but it allows them to get out of fixing/replacing a product under warranty.

moral of the story? just restore it before you bring it in :D

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

You have to choose "Set up as a new device" when restoring your iPod; if you restore from a backup it includes files (such as crash logs for jailbroken apps) that could theoretically point to a past jailbreak if Apple decided to really dig.

If you do choose "set up as new" when restoring, though, they'll never know. Once upon a time it was possible to screw your device up in a way that was both unrecoverable and easily detectable by Apple, but as far as I know that hasn't been a problem since firmware 1.x.

5. beerent13 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what i did was restore and rather then "joes ipod" i clickeed restore as new ipod. so i should be safe? i had to put ipod into recovery mode to restore it. should i be okay?

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Recovery mode has nothing to do with it, but if you picked "new ipod" then you're fine.