Has anyone been throttled on AT&T lte yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellofello, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

7 days into my billing cycle and I am already at 2.7 gb used. I am definitely going past 5 gb this month. Has anyone felt the throttle on their iPhone 5 yet? If so how slow is it?

I'm bracing myself.

2. nabechu macrumors 6502

Its not too bad, was averaging 0.53 Mbps down and 0.46 Mpbs up while throttled. Could still stream music just fine, only youtube vids took a while to buffer...like 35-40 secs before being able to play.

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Although our son has a 4S he hit 4GB with 20 days into billing cycle. This is the first time any of us were throttled. We never were throttled before even though 3/4 lines has used past the throttling threshold.

He said it's 'painful'. I called AT&T about it and they said he should still be able to stream etc?

4. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Just to clarify this was on iPhone 5? How many gb had you used?

5. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

6. nabechu macrumors 6502

Yeah its on the iPhone 5 and used 19.2GB of data last billing cycle. Didn't get throttled till I hit 5GB though.

7. taedouni macrumors 65816

I have to thank the FCC for not allowing throttling on Verizon's LTE network :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks that the FCC didn't put some nice rules like that to AT&T.
    No throttling, the bs FaceTime over cellular issue and would be nice if their i5 was automatically unlocked like Verizon's.

9. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

How do you know if throttled? I am on my corporate plan which shares data. I am currently getting 16 Mbps down and 7.7 Mbps up. I have hit as high as 24 down and 8 up previously.

10. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i was getting those speeds, unthrottled, on their H+ network consistently. after a SIM swap and 4 phone calls to at&t, i gave up and went to VZW.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's the price you pay for that spectrum. Hopefully it doesn't bite themselves in the behind later down the road.

I can understand they need for throttling but not down to speeds where you're device is useless.

VZW people with unlimited data are using a lot of data and it's got to hurt VZW network or will in the future. Unless Unlimted users are a small %.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    There's always going to be the small % that uses tons more than other customers. But with people having to pay full price for devices to keep unlimited those are going to be a few here and there and verizon is also saving by not subsidizing anything for them.

13. tidybc macrumors 6502

Your Internet speed drops significantly. When i got throttled i just had 0.25Mbps Down. The upload is not affected.

14. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

No, it's not the FCC per se. It was actually Google who put a list of 4 open restrictions (open applications, open devices, open services, open networks) for their bid of $4.6 billion for the 700MHz C-block spectrum. When Verizon and others went past the $4.6 billion bid, they had to agree to those open restrictions because they were part of Google's bid.

In the end, the FCC only kept 2 of the 4 restrictions (open applications, open devices) because Verizon bitched and sued.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

VZW is pushing tiered data. Walk into a corporate store and the reps are wearing buttons.

I'm not sure which carrier offers the better plan for grandfathered unlimited data users? The only thing that bugs me about AT&T is their throttling policy. FaceTime over cellular I can live without.

If I had a single line and didn't have 3 other lines to worry about I'd say VZW is the best for single line. But when you have 4 lines another story.

My son says it's 'painful' being throttled. I'm not sure if he's exaggerating or not lol. Where he's at the wifi stinks.

The speeds that you're throttled down to according to AT&T when I called today said you can still stream etc. Is that true?

As I said before I can understand throttling but not down to speeds where you can't use applications like Netflix or HBO Go etc.

Give me a consistent 2-3 down and I'm happy.

16. robaroo macrumors regular

to answer the ops question, i've been throttled. It's not bad but definitily noticeble.

this is the one real bummer IMO about the iPhone 5 or iOS6 (not sure which is causing the problem). i never came close to being throttled with my iphone 4s and iOS 5.

I wonder if iphone 4s with iOS 6 are experiencing the running up the data use quickly?

17. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Do you stream videos all day or what?

18. mpossoff, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

mpossoff macrumors 68020

Our son as I mentioned has a 4S with iOS 6. This is the first time any of us has been throttled.

I have iPhone 5 and I'm at 2.5/3GB'ish and he's at 4GB'ish both 20 days into billing cycle. I would say he's not doing anything different prior to iOS 6. Me I watch a lot of YouTube videos, surf a lot, iMessage a lot, stream audio a lot. I consider myself a medium/heavy user. Now I'm pretty responsible. When I can access wifi I use wifi. At home I'm 100% wifi. Not because I'm afraid of getting throttled but because it makes sense to get on wifi if you can, provided it's a good wifi connection. In the USA we are so far behind in wifi.

I work at a world renowned Ivy League university and you would think that everywhere you go on campus you should be able to get wifi, yea right. Very spotty and inconsistent.

19. robaroo macrumors regular

i never used wifi on my iphone 4s with iOS 5. i've always had this belief that wifi sucks too much battery so i never enabled it. i used it on cellular data 100% of the time. i stream music for about 6-7 steady hours each month. most of my data goes towards surfing the web. i haven't been doing anything differently since i switched from my iphone 4s to my iphone 5. since switching, i went over 5gb just 15 days into my cycle. i'm not doing anything different. WTF!

a lot of people are blaming this on the iphone using cellular data while on wifi. but how does that explain my situation when i've never used wifi before and didn't have this problem?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but 2-3mbps down wouldnt be much of throttling.
    Sprint and verizon 3G users dont even get that on a good day:D
    At least 1mpbs would be nice when throttled but they want to make it as painfull as possible for people in order to switch. Not just to be bareable and easy to handle:D

Actually its the complete opposite.
    Carrier data sucks in much more battery than a wifi connection.

21. taedouni macrumors 65816

I know about that. But how does open applications and open devices refer to unthrottled LTE? It doesn't. It was implemented by the FCC.

22. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

I am over 4gb right now and my billing cycle ends on the 23.. I will be throttled soon.. :mad:

23. nabechu macrumors 6502

Mostly music and watch some jtv/twitch at work everyday.

24. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

throttling

I wish i could use LTE all the time and not worry about getting throttled

25. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

[​IMG]