Has anyone bought a knock-off iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoebaggins, Jan 9, 2012.

1. zoebaggins macrumors member

I was looking to get an unlocked iPhone for myself because I use pre-paid but wanted something a little "nicer" looking than the options already available. I save enough a month on my bill a month, why not spend the money to get a nice looking phone?

While searching, I ran across a lot of cheap iPhone options from China. Naturally, you should stay clear away from anything made in China but many of these phones have good reviews, a lot of hype, and apparently they work with any carrier worldwide like any unlocked phone.

Has anyone used any of these phones or heard anything more about them? One I like is the GooApple which looks like an iPhone 4 (actually has decent specs) but runs on Android (even has access to the Android market). If it works just as well as the real thing, I'd rather pay $200 over $500.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What's the point if it doesn't use iOS? Better off getting a "decent" android.

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You'll eventually decide you wasted your money.

4. zoebaggins thread starter macrumors member

Well for this particular phone I guess you can choose either or; I prefer the Android market a little better. I don't really like any of the Android phones though and I love the way iPhone looks.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Get a good Android, root it and install the MIUI ROM.

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

I've yet to see a knock-off iPhone that wasn't horrible all around. They never even look anything like a real iPhone. They use cheap plastic parts and resistive touch screens so the user-experience would be subpar for even a "dumb phone". I suggest getting a second hand real iPhone or doing what other users have said and get an Android phone. You will regret getting a knock-off.

7. stickybuns, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

stickybuns macrumors 6502

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't waste your money on a knock-off iPhone.

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree, don't waste your funds on crap and get the real deal.

10. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

11. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

Back in 2008, my Sister got the iPhone 3G. I loved it, but at the time I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. So I surfed Ebay and came across something called the iClone. It was a little over $100 and it was the most awful iPhone clone I have ever seen (is there really a good one, besides the actual iPhone?). Anyway I ended up re-selling it a week later and surprisingly I called AT&T that day and the rep was nice enough to move up my Upgrade so I can get the iPhone. There are NO substitutes ;) Don't waste your money

12. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

do yourself a favor and don't buy a knockoff iPhone.

13. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

lol, check ebay. You will find 3GS' for about $250 brand new. Unlocked for go about $300.