has anyone connected a third monitor to a MBP?

breadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
2 is simply not enough monitor space nowadays!

i need 1 screen for a terminal and DB visualization, another for programming space, and another for youtube. lol

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
breadz said:
2 is simply not enough monitor space nowadays!

i need 1 screen for a terminal and DB visualization, another for programming space, and another for youtube. lol
Do you want three external screens or two plus the internal?

breadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
opps, forgot to mention that.. i have a macbook pro and want 2 more external monitors. ive been reading that the dvi output may be able to split the signal into 2 thingymagigies, thus into 2 montors..

crap, if i cant....hmm the 30inch hd display may be on my wish list. say goodbye to tax refund.

mkrishnan said:
Do you want three external screens or two plus the internal?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
breadz said:
opps, forgot to mention that.. i have a macbook pro and want 2 more external monitors. ive been reading that the dvi output may be able to split the signal into 2 thingymagigies, thus into 2 montors..

crap, if i cant....hmm the 30inch hd display may be on my wish list. say goodbye to tax refund.
Not on usual computer right now so my bookmarks aren't with me: Have a website link that sells this device that makes it possible to run to monitors off of a MBP or MB. I can send it tomorrow sometime...

breadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
i think so, but i heard it was recommended to have 2 gigs of memory. damn, i keep spending and spending....

poppe said:
Wonder if its possible to do 2 2407's... Hmm anyone know?

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
breadz said:
i think so, but i heard it was recommended to have 2 gigs of memory. damn, i keep spending and spending....
RAM in a MBP makes no difference to video performance because it has a dedicated card. In the Mac mini and the MacBook, adding RAM won't make the video abilities any better - it gets 64MB regardless - but it makes using the system smoother and easier because that 64MB taken up by the GMA950 makes less of a difference with 1GB or 2GB than it does with 512MB.

Adding a second external monitor to a MacBook Pro (or any Mac outside the Mac Pro) is not supported and shouldn't be considered as an option. If you need the room, get a 30"ACD - it will work perfectly on a MacBook Pro.

breadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
it my not be supported out the box but you can buy an adpter. check out this link

http://eskatonia.net/qcblog/2006/07/02/triplehead2go-running-on-macbook-pro/

Chundles said:
RAM in a MBP makes no difference to video performance because it has a dedicated card. In the Mac mini and the MacBook, adding RAM won't make the video abilities any better - it gets 64MB regardless - but it makes using the system smoother and easier because that 64MB taken up by the GMA950 makes less of a difference with 1GB or 2GB than it does with 512MB.

Adding a second external monitor to a MacBook Pro (or any Mac outside the Mac Pro) is not supported and shouldn't be considered as an option. If you need the room, get a 30"ACD - it will work perfectly on a MacBook Pro.

breadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2006
hey mkrishnan,
thanks for the link. It appears that the matrox adapter wont be a good fit for the MBP because it wont be able to support Hi Resolution monitors from DVI. i think if its at 3 display, it can run only at 1024×768. im thinking now that the 300 or so bucks id spend on the adapter, i could spend it towards a 30inch or something.