Has anyone dropped and smashed the back of on iPhone 5 before?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartinAppleGuy, Apr 10, 2015.

1. MartinAppleGuy, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Hi there, just dropped an iPhone 5 for the first time. The front is perfectly fine but the glass strip on the top has cracked. Camera appears to be working fine though and I've tried out everything else and all seems fine. I called the local Apple Store today trying to book an appointment but sadly they are fully booked for the next week due to people wanting to try Apple Watches. So I'm hoping to get an appointment soon after. My question is however, has anyone had this happen before, and how much did Apple charge you to fix it?

2. nox5 macrumors 6502

Apple Store will not fix it all they can do is out of warranty replacement of the iPhone for $280 + tax.
    Or you can try this:

https://youtu.be/tYm9qvGYHsA

3. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I know of Apple certified repair shops that are fine fixing it so oh is just go down that route. I'm I the UK is that makes a difference and Apple talked on the phone as if it were fine to have it repaired.

4. nox5 macrumors 6502

I think Apple USA and UK policy is same. Anyway local shop would be cheaper ~$40 in USA. The part itself is only $5 on eBay and it's relatively easy to take broken glass off and glue new one on with double side tape

5. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I'm surprised they don't have dedicated staff for the watch appointments with everything else being handled by the rest. Seems strange to put all other business on hold for one product.

6. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Agreed, hopefully I shall get an appointment for next week anyway, and if they don't want to repair it I shall just take it to a shop to get out done as I have many certified Apple repair stores in my area.

Cheers for all the the help.