Has anyone else noticed how many Iphone users still haven't upgraded to IOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jacoblee23, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I have told all of my iphone user friends about it, and maybe two have even bothered to upgrade. I don't understand why people wouldn't want to utilize their phone to be even better and have access to more features. Is it laziness, or do a lot of people just not care enough?

2. Dangerdog3000 macrumors member

I think for some its just too much trouble. I have relatives that have a big mess with their iPhones because they don't remember what computer they last synced to. Their afraid if they sync it now, they will lose all their data or something. It's not that they don't want to, its just that its going to be a pain to update. Plus, add in the fact that they are somewhat lazy and the fact that half of iOS 5 features don't really even appeal to them and you get an update that dont care to update to.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

This doesn't surprise me at all. I would expect at least 30-35 percent of iPhone users to not even think or know about software upgrades.

Apple released a figure about the middle of last year that had a high percentage of people who brought their iPhones to the genius bar for some type of problem had never synced their phone. I think it was like 50 percent.

Found the article.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/50-of-iphones-brought-to-genius-bar-have-never-been-synced/

So again, no. This doesn't surprise me.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Most people don't know what iOS is let alone that it can be updated.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

6. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Updated my moms 4, she had no idea you could update, neither did my sister haha.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't get it either. I guess they're thinking if it's not broken why fix it and they're probably lazy too. It's a simple process but some people who aren't tech savvy think it's complicated and worry it won't go so well.

8. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm one of those people who used 4.x.x. until this week. I don't represent the majority, but I think I do speak for a good portion when I say that the reason we don't update is basically why fix what's not broken? For me, I really didn't want to go through the trouble of looking up how to un-jailbreak (if that's possible), update the phone, then re-jailbreak. It just seems like a huge hassle for a few updates.

With that said, I have to give kudos to Apple for the iOS5 update. So far, I'm loving the double-click camera access and the notification menu. Also love how better organized they are on the lock screen when I receive more then one notification.

9. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It amazes me how many people don't know jack about their iPhones. That's like buying a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive stick.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

There are jailbreak tweaks to always have that camera button show without double clicking the home button. You can even replace it with any other app.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Not really. People buy an iPhone for different reasons and they have different uses.

12. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Obviously the people that don't know about ios 5 aren't using it for much.

13. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

the majority of iPhone users aren't tech savy. That's why its so popular because its so easy to use. On the flip side being so easy a simple thing like an update can seem like a daunting task to an average iPhone user.

14. vega07 macrumors 65816

Not to mention how iTunes makes it not easy for the average person to sync.

15. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Yes this issue is slightly annoying, for those of us who want to cancel text plans or downgrade them. However, I do not think Ferrari makes a stick anymore, and havent for several years. I think its like driving a 430, and being offered a 548 upgrade at no cost and turning it down. Sure the 430 is great, but most people couldn't tell the difference, and if it works just fine, why bother.:D

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

I agree some people are either worried about complications or are overwhelmed at the thought or have no idea it's available.

Two of my colleagues use iPhone 4 phones and had no idea you could update the software. One user had not updated since it was activated !

Apple should send out a standard e mail etc to advise users an update is available.

17. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Ironically iOS 5 is the "ultimate" or "near-ultimate" solution for getting rid of iTunes....:D

18. isashach macrumors newbie

Well, I feel like a lot of normal people who don't update their iPhones imediately. For iOS 3 & 4, I waited before a a jailbreak was available so that I could continue using all my apps and tweaks. I made a big mistake with iOS 5, because I upgraded the day it came out. Then I went 3 or 4 months using free apps and no SBSettings! Ugh... Last time I don't recall waiting so long.

19. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think a large factor here is the cell phone experience that most people have had prior to the iPhone. It was never common for the software of a feature phone to change after the day you bought it. I'm hopeful that the new OTA updates + iCloud backups will make updating far more common.

20. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

I think there are 3 factors here. One is ignorance to the fact that the iPhone can even be updated. The second is that any people never sync their phones at all. But I think there is a third factor: I know many people who don't update because of bugs. Battery problems is a good example with iOS 5, but also many people know experience severe instability with safari using iOS 5 (myself included). To be honest, this instability (crashing) is so bad that I'll probably hold off on iOS 6 whenever it comes out. What bugs me most about the crashing issue is that Apple has yet to issue a bug fix for it. And it crashes so much that it makes my internet almost unusable on the iPad! :(

21. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Yea I too was surprised at the number who are unaware or simply don't do it at least every once in awhile. But then again most phones use to update over the air and Apple made it a pain to update by always hooking up to the computer. I never hook my phone up unless there's new software out. Save myself the hassle.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

After living for nearly 30 years in a Microsoft PC world, many adults I know have adopted the attitude of "changing tech things breaks tech things." They all have stories of being 'forced' to buy new scanners or software upgrades because some change made other old parts of their computer obsolete.

They'll reluctantly let me upgrade their stuff, but only because I "know what I'm doing."

"Why fix what ain't broke" sounds like a fun folksy saying, but some of these people use that phrase out of fear. It's not an easy thing to get over.

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

What? That's the most absurd thing I've heard on here! So you have a problem, an update is released that could potentially fix the problem, but you won't upgrade because of the initial problem :confused:

Working tech support for an enterprise-level ERP system has taught me that if someone is having an issue -- there's no harm in applying the fix that most likely will fix the issue!! Are you afraid it's going to make things WORSE? Have you talked to Apple about the problem?

24. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Beat all my friends and fam over head repeatedly till they updated :)

I knew who had idevices and when iMessages didn't turn blue >:)

25. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

he's lying, there is no way he can put across that iOS is that unstable and have people believe it...