Has anyone ever had this happen with toast? I've posted before but no responses.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by littleg1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. littleg1 macrumors newbie

I've done some research and all that I've found was to try different dvds and I replaced my drive 2 weeks ago and I'm still getting this. I've had my friend try the dvds that I use and they work in his iMac G5. Someone must know a solution to this. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've had some weird errors with my iMac (similar but not exactly the same as this) - it seems to be very picky about the quality of media you're putting in.

4. littleg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E the same one the computer came with. I am also using memorex & sony dvds.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

My experience with sony discs is that they are utter crap.
    Change media to Memorex or Maxell.

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Matshita do not have a good reputation I'm afraid. If you're willing to try this, remove the Matshita from your iMac and keep it as an external unit which you can use 'bare' via an adaptor (see att) as backup and playback. Replace the M'shita with a Pioneer KO6 (or similar slimline model), Sony also may be a better option than M'shita.

Disk brand - interesting to note the Memorex recommendation. I guess it's all a matter of opinion and experience, but numerous other posts rubbish that brand. I've never used it so can't comment. I have however used, without problem, Imation, Ricoh, Fuji, SKC and TDK - and in that order of preference.

Attached Files:

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I've had this problem with Toast before, with both CD's and DVD's. I bought some HP discs (made by Imation/Memorex) and they worked flawlessly, so I bought another pack after I used all of them and none in the new pack would work, but they would work for my sister on her Dell. I'll also try and burn a DVD from time to time and Toast will not burn it, while DVD2oneX will. Have you tried using another software application with the discs?

8. littleg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.... I am using memorex discs and those are the ones failing most of the time. No I haven't used any other program to try and burn dvds. I'm tempted to go buy popcorn. Does it work similar to toast? My friend has it but he said toast is easier and thats all I have ever used. Never had experience with any other.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Popcorn is best thought of a "little brother" of Toast as it basically offers a small subset of the capabilities of Toast aimed mostly toward DVD/Video use. Since you already have the much more capable Toast, there would not be any advantage to getting Popcorn as I feel pretty certain they share the same burning subroutines since they are from the same company.

Not that it would have a serious impact on your problem really, but what version of Toast are you using? The problem the error describes is indicative of a hardware problem (at least in conjunction with the disks you are using) but I also have to agree with hughvane's note about the Matshita reputation of being extremely picky about disk types that they consistently work with. There are a distressingly large number of threads on the Macbook section of Mac Rumors regarding difficulties with the Matshita drives. :(

BTW- A lot of people with this type of error have reported success with additional types of disk when they have slowed down the burn rate (lowering it from "Maximum" to maybe 4x for a trial) in the window that appears before the burn begins. I would certainly encourage you to try this as the next step in troubleshooting.

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

With the servo error it may be that you bought a bad drive.
    Pioneers have been rock solid for me in the MacPro.
    Sony discs have been the worst offenders for bad media message based on my personal exp. I go through 1-200 memorex DVD's a month.

11. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I've had this error before with my macbook.. it was super frustrating.. I tried some different media and got it working finally but was crazy annoying..

Zack

12. littleg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

My old drive was also giving me this message before I put in the new one. I don't believe that its the drive. I've had good luck trying different types of discs though. Wish I would have tried it before I put in the new drive. I know its not a fan of Memorex but my friends iMac g5 doesn't have a problem with them. Strange... Thanks for the help!!!!:D