Has anyone ever scientifically tested the significance of a "clean install"?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fzang, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

With iOS 8 and Yosemite releases and bugs being pushed to users non-stop these days, I see the words "clean install" in pretty much every second comment.

Has anyone ever attempted to scientifically quantify this supposedly "fresh" feeling of removing all your programs and then spend hours to download and set them up again?

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Good question. I haven't done a clean install since 2009. I've been through 4 iPhones since then and have been restoring from backups all these years. Now I'm on iOS 8 on an iPhone 6 and don't have any issues. I'm a skeptic of clean install, I doubt there is any benefit over restoring from a backup.

3. Roller macrumors 68020

It would be hard to test in a rigorous manner, especially given the essentially infinite range of third-party software that's available. I believe that a clean install is a good way to get rid of old junk, though it's time-consuming. I do it about every second major OS update.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

In my experience, it's a noticeable difference in machines going from much older OSs - e.g., Snow Leopard to Mavericks, for example, in my case.

I've done both, and from now on will do only clean installs just for peace of mind later. it does make a difference.