Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
My heart sank when I was told by the apple care hacks that I could not run XP on Lion. I do need windows to do a few minor but important things in my life that can't be done with mac software......... However the thought of buying Windows 7 makes me sick to my stomach.

Please help if anyone has figured out how to partition bootcamp on a macbook pro using OS 10.7.4. I've used VMware fusion for years and it's been awesome and I've already migrated it to the MBP.

Grateful to you in advance !

Erica

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
My heart sank when I was told by the apple care hacks that I could not run XP on Lion. I do need windows to do a few minor but important things in my life that can't be done with mac software......... However the thought of buying Windows 7 makes me sick to my stomach.

You can run XP as a VM under Fusion on Lion just fine. You just can't bootcamp XP. Just set it up as a pure play VM rather than trying to install it as bootcamp and then hooking the partition with Fusion. .

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Great news !- more help though for VMware and Win XP

This is great news, but I'm really not too savvy about how to use fusion. How do I set up 'pure play' using VM. If this is too big of a question, where can I go for more guidance ?

You can run XP as a VM under Fusion on Lion just fine. You just can't bootcamp XP. Just set it up as a pure play VM rather than trying to install it as bootcamp and then hooking the partition with Fusion. .

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
This is great news, but I'm really not too savvy about how to use fusion. How do I set up 'pure play' using VM. If this is too big of a question, where can I go for more guidance ?

Basically just file/new to create a virtual machine, and you want to use local disc rather than a bootcamp partition. If you don't have a bootcamp partition already it really won't allow you any other options. Fusion's wizard is pretty intuitive, even a novice user can make sense of it. Just read everything through before you click "next" obviously. I have faith you can do it :)

EricaV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
More help needed setting up windows xp

Thanks ! I posted this elsewhere before I saw your post- thanks for your faith in me. I agree VMware is very intuitive- here's what's up though:

I'm looking for help setting up a new virtual machine on my Macbook Pro running Lion. Someone gave me great news that although you can't use Windows XP with bootcamp/Lion. You can set up XP with a regular virtual machine.

I tried to follow the instructions to set up a new machine with VM ware but a few things kept happening:

1. the windows XP disc kept spontaneously ejecting
2. it looked like it accepted my product code etc., but the install went way too quickly and I don't think the OS was installed
3. Although it appears like I have a machine named "windows xp", it will not let me turn the machine on and gives me a permissions error i.e. "make sure you have permission to acces all discs, files etc."

I'd really like to get this set up if anyone can help !!

thanks Erica

Basically just file/new to create a virtual machine, and you want to use local disc rather than a bootcamp partition. If you don't have a bootcamp partition already it really won't allow you any other options. Fusion's wizard is pretty intuitive, even a novice user can make sense of it. Just read everything through before you click "next" obviously. I have faith you can do it :)

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I run Windows XP both in BootCamp and in Parallels 7 on my Lion MacBook Pro.

I was able to accomplish this by installing Windows XP in Bootcamp BEFORE I installed Lion.

However on my mid-2011 Mac Mini (which came with Lion), I run Windows XP in Parallels 7, just not in Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.