Has anyone gone from Plus to 6 and back to Plus? (or the other way around)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Dec 21, 2014.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I feel like a crazy person. Lol.

I had a Note 4. It was big, but designed very well that it didn't feel as big as it was. Long story short is I hated the camera on it. Returned it and bought a 6 Plus. Liked it a lot but had a hard time adjusting to its size, mainly the height and ergomics, and the way it fit in a shirt pocket. I was always shuffling it around from pocket to shirt to table. It's like I was way too aware of its size. I decided to trade it in and give the 6 a shot. I like the 6, but already I'm missing the battery life, but the main thing is I'm having a much worse time typing in portrait mode two handed. I could move like lightning on the Plus because of that extra width. On the other hand I'm liking the ability to bust out the 6 one handed and use it without any stress that it's going to flop.

So I'm contemplating switching again, and just making myself adjust to the size of the Plus in trade for the obvious benefits it brings.

I'm not usually the indecisive type, so this whole dance is making me feel like someone I'd come across on macrumors, and think, this dude needs to make up his mind! Lol.

Had anyone done the back and forth dance? Or maybe thought about it? If so, which one did you end up with?

2. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

I did. Ordered 6 Plus 16gb for launch day. Used it for a week and was unsure if I could handle the size on a daily basis.

Traded that for a 64gb 6. Used for about a month and started to miss the screen size, resolution, and battery life.

I sold the 6 last week and picked up a 6 Plus 64gb. Couldn't be happier. I guess I just needed to progress through the screen sizes. 6 Plus doesn't seem that large to me now.

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. I sort of feel like I needed to try both in my world. Granted, I only had the Plus for 4 days, and the 6 for one day. But... It took me 4 days to doubt the Plus. It only took me 24 hours to start doubting the 6. So that's sort of telling me something about which I should be going with.

4. infinitehope15 macrumors newbie

Ditto. Originally purchased a 16gb iPhone 6. Used it, loved it, but in the back of my mind I always had that "man, I wonder what the Plus would be like." Exchanged for a 16gb Plus. LOVED it. Really, really loved it. Just couldn't get used to the size, just like you. I'm a female with small hands. Decided to go back to the 6- but 64gb. I've never had an iPhone with a larger capacity so I decided I wanted to give it a go seeing as I go to concerts a lot and take lots of photos/videos as well as store a lot of music. I was happy to go back to a one handed phone, but found myself REALLY missing the battery life and screen. The battery life on the Plus is just astounding, there's definitely a noticeable difference between the 6 and the Plus. So, back to the apple store I went and I now own a 64gb iPhone 6 Plus and this is my keeper. I sort of made myself get accustomed to the screen size, and now I'm obsessed and couldn't go back to the 6 if I wanted to. The battery and screen size alone blows my mind and even though I can't really use it one handed, I've grown used to it. So OP, you're definitely not alone. Go back to the Plus, it'll get easier with time.

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you. Awesome post. Did the Apple Store give you any problem with the multiple exchanges?

Seriously, your post makes me feel a lot more normal about my indecision. I'm 90% sure that after work tomorrow I'll be swinging by the Apple Store again and walking out with another Plus.

6. infinitehope15 macrumors newbie

I live about 30 minutes outside of Nashville and there's two different apple stores in different directions from me, both about 40 minutes away. I've actually exchanged at both stores, but both are very familiar with me anyway- I had the issue trying to figure out if the apple silicone or leather case was better for me, and of course when I exchanged between the 6/Plus those times I had to exchange the cases as well. Right now I am with the 64gb space gray Plus with the black apple leather case and couldn't be happier. Neither store gave me any problem with any exchange and were happy to help all the way from the unboxing to getting me activated and iCloud backed up. Very happy with the customer service on their end. Don't be nervous about making another exchange, you want to have what's right for you and it is there job to help you and make sure you leave happy. Don't sweat it, and enjoy your 6 Plus! :)

7. Ashtar macrumors regular

Same.

8. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I was sure that i wanted a 6. So late November i finally decided it was the right time to go buy my fiance and myself new iphones. She has been wishing for a phablet iphone for years, so clearly the 6plus was what she wanted.

I got her a 6plus and myself the 6. I was bored of it, and regretted my decision within 1 day. I found myself constantly playing with her 6plus.

I exchanged my 6 for a 6plus. Took me a few days to acclimate myself. Got an Apple Leather case for some extra grip. Now it actually seem kind of small to me. One handed typing is not a problem at all. I do not have huge hands either.

I couldnt be happier with my decision! it really feels like an upgrade now.

9. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks! So many great positive posts in this thread.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if I can deal with multiple Stores. I did my first exchange at one store, but for this next exchange, I'll be near my job, in another state, and I'll be visiting a different store. Does it matter if got a phone from Store A and then exchange it at Store B for another?

10. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I wonder if Apple had made a iPhone 6 "Mid" with a 5.1" screen and a much smaller bezel if it would have been a better alternative?

I know myself that I think the iPhone could be greatly improved.
    And while I don't want a brick of a phone, do feel that the ultra thin factor was a bad trade off instead of having smaller footprint.

11. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I'll say this. I just sold my launch day 6 after having used a 6+ for 5 days.

I think it is an easier transition going from 4.7 to 5.5, as opposed to going from 4 (or even 3.5)to 5.5. So it's not surprising that a lot of people got "size shock" coming from a 5 series or 4S, then after getting a "smaller" 6, were more easily able to transition to the plus.

Going from the 6 to the 6 plus for me was almost no change. I even use it one handed just as often, with average sized man hands.

12. infinitehope15 macrumors newbie

Nope. As long as you originally purchased the device at an apple store, exchanging at another isn't a problem at all. It makes it a lot easier on them if you have the original purchase receipt though, they always emailed me one so it was super easy for them to just scan it and do the exchange. My original 6 was purchased at store A, exchanged it for the Plus at store B, exchanged the Plus for the 6 at store B again, and then a week ago got my Plus back at store A. Never one issue- always had the receipt. So, especially if you have your receipt, you should be good to go. Without it, I'm sure they could track your purchase history via email or apple ID, but it would be a lot easier with the receipt.

13. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I have all my receipts in my email on my phone so I can pull it up quick enough. For my first exchanged they pulled up my receipt without even asking me after giving them my name.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Anyone second guessing the plus need only go back a few years to what was state of the art then.

[​IMG]

15. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Well played.

16. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Has anyone gone from Plus to 6 and back to Plus? (or the other way around)

I noticed there hasn't been a single post here from someone who had a 6, went Plus, then back to the 6 again that ultimately settled on the 6.

17. mjb59463, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014

mjb59463 macrumors 6502

I did this around Launch time. I ordered the 128GB 6 Plus at first, and used it for 2 days. I enjoyed it, but I foolishly decided that it was too big for everyday use, so I returned it and ordered a 128 GB 6.

I used the 6 for about a week, and just wasn't happy with the battery life. I personally noticed no difference between the 6 and my 5s in that regard, and I found myself missing the awesome screen of the Plus as well.

I returned the 6 and moved back with the 128GB 6 Plus as soon as I found it in stock. I'm now happy with performance and battery life. I just needed about a week to acclimate myself to using it, due to the size. I still am not 100% in love with the ergonomics of the Plus, but the pros far outweigh the cons for me.

If there was a 5 inch iPhone with 1080p and the battery of the 6 Plus, that in my mind would be the perfect smartphone.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went from a 5s to a 64GB 6+. I've considered returning but only so I can upgrade to the 128GB model which seems to be more readily available all of the sudden.

19. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully I don't go through this swapping game too much but I did have a couple questions for those that have:

How quickly did you go through your phones?

Are you guys swapping full priced phones here?

I'm finding shipping phones back and forth is a really slow process and adding in that I'm trying to get it subsidized one (AT&T 2 year contract) is even more of a headache (having to deal with both Apple *and* AT&T).

My experience so far is I had an iPhone 6+ and at first I liked the novelty of having a bigger phone but ultimately I couldn't get over the huge size. It just doesn't feel right in my front jeans pocket. This is especially noticeable when driving. So I sent it back. Now I'm waiting on a refund so I can try the iPhone 6.

20. cheezeit macrumors 6502

I started with a 6 plus on launch, loved it but size was a bit cumbersome. I then got a 6, but missed the battery and screen, I got a 6 plus and again I was worried about it dropping since it was hard to handle so back to a 6 I went. Again I missed battery and the screen for when I was at home so I got another 6 plus. I then noticed when I was out its just hard to get the phone out one handed to do simple tasks without the fear of dropping it so I got a 6. I was happy with my 6, but got curious again so got a 6 plus. I had trouble putting it in my jeans and it would fall out of my pants/shorts (athletic) so that got a little annoying. Loved the battery life though. I ended back on a 6 and have been here for about 3 weeks now and I'm content.

I struggled with the 6 plus and found I used it less than my 6. Since the form is smaller it's easier to handle and thus I get to enjoy using it more since it isnt hard to use. I still miss battery life of the 6 plus but nothing a quick top off when I'm around outlets can't fix. I also noticed that when you surf on wifi / lte the extra battery is like only 1 hr so not enough to justify the size difference. Now all this is coming from a 5S user so I'm pretty sure after I get use to this 6 after a year the 6 plus won't be as large of a jump from a 6 as it was from a 5S.

In the past I've used other large phones like a note or opo and always migrated to a smaller device for the ease of use. Each phone you have will obviously have 1-2 things that will annoy you. Guess you just gotta pick which is more important and there will be always something you wish you could have as well.

Good luck! You aren't the only indecisive one

21. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

That was quite a tail! I kept waiting for it to end. Lol.

Glad I'm not the only one. After obsessing that I needed the Plus again, I'm back at work today and really loving the increased dexterity I have with my 6. I may end up keeping it after all.

The bottom line for me when I had the Plus was, the screen and size were great when I was using it (in most cases), but the size doesn't go away when the screen is off. The 6 disappears and gets out of your way when you're not using it. The Plus not so much. I felt like it was constantly reminding me of its presence and demanding me to deal with it. As in, moving it out of my pocket depending on where/how I was sitting, or if my kids suddenly decided to tag team wrestle me (common event in my house).

Who knows, I may change my mind again, but right now the reasons I originally traded in my Plus for a 6 are starting to justify themselves.

22. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Wow! Great story and info. If I kept score correctly that's 4x 6 and 4x 6+. I have to ask, wasn't the Apple Store and your carrier getting annoyed with the returns/activate/un-activate cycle? Or did they not care? All I've done is return my 6+ to go back to my 5 (in preparation of trying the 6) and it's already sort of a pain for me.

23. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Apple stores did not mind and yes att wasn't happy with all my switching. Each device was financed through next although I did purchase 3 outright so those were easy to return.

24. mjschabow macrumors 65816

In on the other side of the spectrum. I have the 6 plus and I'm thinking of going to the regular size. Although I love the battery life on the Plus, I just miss the one handed use of the 5s and the 6 seems to really hit the sweet spot of what phone sizes should be.

25. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I bought a 6+ on release day and DD has the 6. A few weeks ago I was tired of the huge plus and wanted to try something smaller. DD wanted to try the 6+, so we swapped.

A week later, I switched back. The battery life just wasn't there and the camera is better on the plus.