Has anyone got an iPad but then regretted it? Case of wanting NOT needing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by julianna1973, Apr 12, 2011.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

My iPad 2 is being delivered today but I wont see it until the weekend when I get to my parents home. I kept changing my mind about wether to get one or not & still even now im not sure I made the right decision. I have the iPhone 4 & im of the belief that the iPad is just a huge iPod touch & no more!!

There are some apps that I will be excited to use but to be honest im not sure that makes it worth me spending money I shouldnt have.

So tell me all the good things Im not aware of?!;)

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Instead of relying on someone to talk you into a purchase that you seem to realize you 1.) don't need and 2.) can't really afford, why not just return it (which it sounds like you already know you should do anyway)?

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I have both an ipad and iphone and find good (but different) uses for both of them. It is difficult to say what might pleasantly surprise you about an ipad without knowing your work/studies/hobbies/interests etc. Therefore, not wanting to be excessively nosey, I'm going to suggest that you give it a go for a few days and then let us know what your decision was...

Have fun!

4. Bheleu macrumors 6502

No regrets...

...and if you have any, CL is a few clicks away.

5. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

iPad 2 is still hot now. Try it for one week. If you don't like, selling it is easy

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Is a large screen TV more enjoyable than a small one?

7. ukpetey, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

I'm loving my 32GB 3G black ipad2 - my one regret is not having spent the extra £80 and gone for the 64GB. I'm now seriously considering selling it and upgrading - the one thing that puts me off is the ludicrously expensive eBay and PayPal fees.

I'm not looking to make a profit, just not give loads of my money away to eBay and co - anyone care to make a serious offer for my Black 32GB 3G? (UK only) PM me if you are interested...

Peter

8. aleni macrumors 68020

first, i didn't need the iPad2 because i have the iPhone 4, but out of curiousity i still bought it and boy, playing games and watching movies are fun on the iPad!! i can't find myself playing games and watching movies on the iPhone 4 anymore, it's so cramped.

i watch a lot of tv series like family guy, and watching it on the iPad while laying back on the sofa is a joy! not even iPhone's retina display can match it because it's too small.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

We have 2 iPhone 4's and I 'WANTED' an iPad. I don't need it, I wanted it. I use it, easier to deal with than a laptop/netbook when I'm in the living room and want to surf the web.

I also write XCode so I 'wanted' it for development as well.

Do I need it? No, I never had a true 'need' for it. But I bought one anyway.

The way I see it. It's my money, I'll spend it how I wanna spend it.

10. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Yeah I really do regret it now. I've only had it for 3 days but already I'm considering just returning it (screw selling, eBay can jump of a cliff).

It is nice, but honestly I don't see how I'm going to integrate it into my life at all. I was sitting on my couch yesterday just filling up my calender, setting up mail etc, before realising that I was actually forcing myself to find uses for it.

Also with my Macbook Pro about to turn 4 years old now, I'm considering upgrading to a nice shiny 13" i7 MBP anyway, where my 64gb 3G iPad alone would be a nice down payment on the 27" cinema display I wanted to go with it :p

Only problem is that the family are already loving the iPad and using it A LOT more then me. Telling them that I'm going to send it back would be awkward! :rolleyes:

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If your family is really enjoying it so much, why not let them keep it? You may not have a use for it, but it seems that THEY do!

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I got a similar feeling when I got my iPad1. I actually bought it to get the Unlimited Data offer, the last day it was available, under the condition of returning it if I didn't like it.

The first week I thought to my self over and over: "Why the heck did I buy this toy thing!?", but as I started to use it and discover its many uses, I decided to keep it. Now I don't regret it a bit.

Of course, the decision will be yours and yours only, but I hope you get to like to. Give it a try for at least 10 days, and return it if you don't like it.

You may want to use this thread you created to let us know how you are planning to use your iPad, so we could recommend you the right apps to suit your needs.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Sorry if out of topic, but just occurred to me to ask you if you actually write code on your iPad, and if you do, which app you use. Thanks!

14. Smoothness macrumors regular

If you don't have any uses for it, you will probably MAKE uses for it.

I'm starting to wish i got a 64gig too. I thought that would be overkill. Glad i didnt get 16gig like i intended.

15. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Not at all

Actually, it was a gift. Before my sister said she wanted to get me an iPad, I didn't want one at all. I have the MBA and the iPhone and didn't see what the iPad could do that I couldn't do on the others. I told her I wanted to wait for iPad2. In the soon to be 3 weeks that I've had it, I marvel at what it can do and how well it does it. I can't speak for you as I don't know whether money is a constraint, but if you can swing it - I suspect you won't regret it one whit. I didn't think I needed it. Now I know I do.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Weird question. Of course it is. Who would want a smaller HDTV when you can get a bigger one. In my opinion anything over 60 inch is too big.

OP, I got the iPad 2, realized my 1 was fine, sold the 2 and haven't been happier. I mostly wanted it until I had it.

17. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Wanted, didn't need it since I have the 1st gen.
    Now that I've spent several days with it, I'm convinced I made the right decision to upgrade. A lot of small improvements, but they add up to a better experience.

18. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

No as I knew going in that for me it was just a luxury device that I definitely didn't need and that it wouldn't fit well into my work flow etc.

It's basically a toy for me that I use to read the news, play some games, surf the net etc., and occasionally do some work-related tasks on it like looking at my calendar or reading some pdfs etc.

I know others get more work use out of it, so I mean no offense by calling it a toy for me. Just saying that's what it is for me, not that that is all it can be for anyone.

19. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have never liked lugging laptops around with me--because of that, I have always tried to shoehorn my iPhone 4 or other devices into doing things I would normally need a computer or some other device for.

iPhone is a great jack of all trades. It's kind of like a digital swiss army knife. I have been using as an ereader, a web browser, a game console, media player, and many other things. Most of those things will stop happening on my iPhone once I get an iPad.

I will no longer be interested in watching movies, reading books, or even looking at web pages. All of those tasks are annoying on an iPhone (or any phone) because the screen is small. The retina display REALLY helps, but I'd rather do all those things on a 10" screen.

I don't know what you do in your day to day life, but I ride a commuter train to and from Chicago every day. I read and watch a lot of video on the train. The iPad perfectly fits that gap for me where I don't want to do something on my phone, but I also don't want to haul around a laptop bag.

I say give it a try and see what happens.

20. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

In our house I own a iPhone 3GS and a MacBook pro, my partner has an iPhone 4. I am constantly on my mac, just basic surfing and playing games and some uni work. For my boyfriends birthday I thought it would be nice to buy him an iPad 2 cause 1. He's always wanted one and 2. He's sick of surfing the web on his teeny iPhone screen. I didn't need one, it was purely for him.

Now that I've bought him one I NEED to buy another because now I'm hogging the iPad haha!! I've not used my mac in a couple days and poor deans still stuck on his iPhone, I didn't think I would use something with much less power and completely different from my mac. It's a whole new way for surfing, it's so easy to pick up and surf!!

I don't regret buying our iPad, now I just need to save up and buy another one :D

21. Halebopp macrumors member

I don't regret buying the iPad but I DO regret not upgrading to the 3G option. I've come to realize what I really love about my iPhone (basically being connected wherever I go) is now not an option with my iPad......still loving it regardless but 3G would be nice. What I guess I really need is to Jail-brake my iPhone to tether without additional costs.

That being said, if anyone has thoughts on the easiest/cheapest way to tether my iPad to iPhone please let me know. (feel free to send a PM)....I will also do some searching on the forum as well

22. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

can't say I regret buying one, but I notice I'm not using mine a lot at all..I still stick with my macbook air a lot more :(

23. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

OP - get a subscription to the Wall Street Journal - your iPad will become useful on a daily basis very fast :)

24. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

Yup!!!

I sold my 64gb 3G iPad a few months ago for $725 in anticipation of getting the iPad 2 (knowing it was coming soon and would impact resale value). I got the iPad 2 a few weeks ago and after playing with it for a week determined that it was a pointless upgrade for me, in fact I didn't like the feel of the new version. It seems that in order to save weight and make it thinner Apple cut down on the amount of aluminum and consequently it feels flimsy compared to the original iPad. I compared the speed side-by-side with my wife's iPad and determined that the original's speed is just dandy. I also hated how the buttons and dock connector are on the backside rather than the edges.

So....

I put an ad on CraigsList offering to trade my 16gb 3G iPad 2 for the same config in an original model plus they kick in $300 bucks. I ended up doing a trade with a local guy who gave me 2 original iPads in exchange for my iPad 2. One was a 16GB with 3G and one was a 16GB Wifi model. It worked out great because I sold the Wifi version to a friend for $300 and kept the 3G version for myself.

I am a happy camper back with the original iPad :)

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I don't own one, but we have one (first generation iPad) now in the office for development. I thought I'd love it, but to be honest after the initial thrill I've hardly used it apart from essential work use.

It's great for many things, especially browsing. But I hate the keyboard (the obvious lack of tactile feedback, and it's sluggish). And it's a bit heavier than expected - fine for most tasks, but playing any games with virtual pads in the bottom corners can be quite awkward if playing more than a few minutes.

Maybe if I find some decent apps might opinion might change, but finding anything on the App Store is hard if it's not in the charts or you don't already know the name of it.