has anyone got better signal after calling at&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paulshaqz, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

so i just got off the phone with them complating that i only get 1 to 3 bars in my area and home and when i go like 2 blocks from hear i get amazing reception, she told me she's porting me to another tower and i shut my phone off and turn it back on that didn't help so now i guess there gonna call me back in 24 to 27 hours to see if anything changes has anyone got any better results?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

In the last couple of weeks I've had severely degraded signal inside my home. I used to consistently get 4-5 bars in my home, but now I am luck to get three and often drop to 1 bar. At the same time I've noticed decreased call quality. I've called once with no results, but I intend to try again as soon as the problems caused by last weekend's nor'easter are fixed.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

idk she said something changing my location to another tower in my area?

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

I suspect she was getting you off the phone. Still, bars are bars. I had no bars at home. Every time I dropped a call, I'd whip open the AT&T app on my iPhone and report it. After a few reports, they kindly sent me a 3G Microcell. It rocks.

6. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

i also have microcell but it's still makes me get dropped calls so i was hoping with the new 4s i would get at least 4 bars.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Looks like it worked.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

As the other person said, she was definitely trying to get you off the phone. They don't dictate which towers you can and cannot connect to. Your phone automatically connects to whatever is the closest / has best signal.

From what it sounds like, it seems that you live in a deadspot and that's just something you'd have to live with. Hopefully you can make calls and texts, regardless of how many bars you have. The bars, in my opinion, don't really matter as long as you can still get service. If you don't have service, then the bars are good explanation as to why.

I doubt they'll be able to do much more for you as they've sent you a Microcell.
    Like I said earlier, the bars are just an eyesore that they most likely won't be able to fix. You should be complaining if it doesn't work at all.

9. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've had this deadspot since the first iPhone i do realize no phone company is perfect but my friend has verizon iPhone and in my area i had 4 and 5 bars with no dropped calls. as i would probably switch but i'm stuck with my contract. and just wish they could fix my deadspot.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I had them do this for me before when I was getting many dropped calls in my house. It didn't work. They probably know it doesn't work too, they just do it so the customer thinks something has been done.

12. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

how do you report through the AT&T app? I can't find any option to report anything there.:confused:

13. dotme macrumors 6502a

Search app store for "Mark the Spot" (Free app from AT&T that lets you report dropped calls, SMS spam and more)

Like other reviewers, I thought it was just a black hole but turned out that AT&T paid attention and sent me an unsolicited offer for a free 3G Microcell based on my reports. Who knew?

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Is this a serious thread or one of those someone throws up drunk or high?

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Ditto this, I sent several reports from the area around my old house and they offered me one free too.

I didn't take the offer, since we had no broadband internet available in that area either :p I just moved instead :) Now I have 28Mbps internet and 5 bars of AT&T signal :D

16. mstrze macrumors 68000

If you already knew the signal was weak in your home (i.e. Microcell) and you knew that Verizon had excellent coverage, then why wouldn't you have switched over to Verizon?

And if you already have a Microcell in your home I am not sure why this is even an issue, you should have perfect reception.:confused: If anything, they need to replace your Microcell, assuming you still get dropped calls on your old 4 and your current 4S.

17. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

because i didn't wanna break my contract but now it's coming to the point where if they don't fix this issue i might have to.

18. mstrze macrumors 68000

You stated you have a Microcell in your home. And this didn't fix the problem?? It is essentially a mini cell tower within your house. If you are still experiencing a low singal strength with the Microcell, contact At&T and get a new Microcell. Yours is obviously defective.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The person on the phone had to be pulling your leg. There is little they can do as you phone does it all autmatically. It will always seek the tower with the best signal. If you have poor coverage, you just have poor coverage.

A microcell can work well to fix you problem.

20. Paulshaqz, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have 2 towers not to far one is about no more then 4 blocks and the other is about 2 blocks and from both of these towers it's not picking any signal if i walk about 150 yards and 4 houses down from me the signal is stronger theres something there that i'm not buying it... the new antenna gate with iPhone 4s should be better then my old iPhone 4 and it's still the same a lot more others are having better coverage and there pretty far from towers.

21. Davydd macrumors regular

Out of curiosity I just checked my iPhone 3G against my wife's new iPhone 4S we bought today. In our home I generally get 2 bars with my 3G. In the exact same location the 4S showed 4 bars. Hopefully that is a true improvement.

22. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Does the microcell help with data speeds too. I get ok vioce signal but my data speed it pretty bad.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

At work, we noticed that service sucked lately. We found out that at least five people have to call and complain before a trouble ticket was opened. We did and they said that they had several degraded towers in our area. They worked on them this week and our service was back to normal.

24. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

simple answer: no and I've tried it on a couple AT&T phones