Has anyone gotten a new iPhone from the Apple store due to battery drain issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shadyriley, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

My battery life sucks so bad I think maybe the phone is defective or something. What kinda test can I do to tell? Will Apple replace it in store?

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Try this

1. Turn off bluetooth if you are not using it
    2. Under notfications shut off calander and reminders
    3. under general and restrictions turn off ping
    4.under general and about, go to diagonstic, turn off auto send
    5 under location services. then system services turn off time zone

The time zone thing and the location services reminders really kill your battery since the GPS seems to be on a lot. At least change those two settings and see how much of a difference it makes

3. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok cool thanks. I had all those settings already except for the Ping off. See how it goes.

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

When using your phone, also see if that purple arrow is on alot, that means GPS is tracking you, and that is a big battery hog

5. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I noticed my gps was on for a LONG time last night while my phone was on the charger... I shut down all my apps and it was still on. I wonder if it was the time zone location issue.

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Before apple started working on 5.0.1 yes they were replacing peoples phones for battery issues. But since the memo was put out that they were trying to fix it people have been turned away and told to wait for software updates.

7. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

That's ****ed up. It's all a scam so people buy the battery backups from the apple store.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Why yes...because that's the ONLY place you can buy such things...

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Right, because Apple's hurting for cash, so they thought they'd pull this scam really quick to increase revenues. :eek: Actually, that's kind of cool, since Apple doesn't make the battery backup, they'd actually be increasing the revenue of companies like Morphie, etc.

The point is, Apple thinks it's a software issue. That means for the vast majority of cases, giving people a new phone won't solve the problem.

Here's a screen shot of the memo that Apple sent to its Genius Bar employees. So if you're worried that it really is a hardware issue, make yourself a free online reservation at the Genius Bar nearest to you, and see what they say. And if they say it's not a hardware issue, Apple's already said that they are looking at fixing even more battery life issues in the next iOS update.

[​IMG]

10. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What will turning of ping do?

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Ping was the source of a battery drain issue in iOS4 last year. Probably fixed now... but if Ping is accessing the internet it's wasting battery anyway.