Has anyone gotten a new iPhone from the Apple store due to battery drain issues?

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
My battery life sucks so bad I think maybe the phone is defective or something. What kinda test can I do to tell? Will Apple replace it in store?

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
My battery life sucks so bad I think maybe the phone is defective or something. What kinda test can I do to tell? Will Apple replace it in store?
Try this

1. Turn off bluetooth if you are not using it
2. Under notfications shut off calander and reminders
3. under general and restrictions turn off ping
4.under general and about, go to diagonstic, turn off auto send
5 under location services. then system services turn off time zone

The time zone thing and the location services reminders really kill your battery since the GPS seems to be on a lot. At least change those two settings and see how much of a difference it makes

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Try this

The time zone thing and the location services reminders really kill your battery since the GPS seems to be on a lot. At least change those two settings and see how much of a difference it makes

Ok cool thanks. I had all those settings already except for the Ping off. See how it goes.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Ok cool thanks. I had all those settings already except for the Ping off. See how it goes.
I noticed my gps was on for a LONG time last night while my phone was on the charger... I shut down all my apps and it was still on. I wonder if it was the time zone location issue.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Before apple started working on 5.0.1 yes they were replacing peoples phones for battery issues. But since the memo was put out that they were trying to fix it people have been turned away and told to wait for software updates.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Before apple started working on 5.0.1 yes they were replacing peoples phones for battery issues. But since the memo was put out that they were trying to fix it people have been turned away and told to wait for software updates.
That's ****ed up. It's all a scam so people buy the battery backups from the apple store.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That's ****ed up. It's all a scam so people buy the battery backups from the apple store.
Right, because Apple's hurting for cash, so they thought they'd pull this scam really quick to increase revenues. :eek: Actually, that's kind of cool, since Apple doesn't make the battery backup, they'd actually be increasing the revenue of companies like Morphie, etc.

The point is, Apple thinks it's a software issue. That means for the vast majority of cases, giving people a new phone won't solve the problem.

Here's a screen shot of the memo that Apple sent to its Genius Bar employees. So if you're worried that it really is a hardware issue, make yourself a free online reservation at the Genius Bar nearest to you, and see what they say. And if they say it's not a hardware issue, Apple's already said that they are looking at fixing even more battery life issues in the next iOS update.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

davelanger said:
Try this

What will turning of ping do?

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What will turning of ping do?
Ping was the source of a battery drain issue in iOS4 last year. Probably fixed now... but if Ping is accessing the internet it's wasting battery anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.