Has anyone gotten both the Best Buy gift card and the student discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigp9998, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Like many students I was very disappointed when Apple switched to the worthless $100 App Store gift card promo. Some users have reported getting a $100 Best Buy gift card instead. Has anyone here been successful in getting both the BB gift card AND the student discount at Best Buy? If not it would probably be cheaper for me to order online and avoid tax. Thanks

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Best buy wll only honour one price match or discount.

you can chose either 100 bucks off the macbook pro, or a 100 dollar best buy gift card.

personally, i'd go with the latter and get the education discount on the macbook.

if you can, id recoemnd purchasing on the apple online store to get both, or an apple retail store. best buy customer service blows seriously .

3. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not true - they will honor both. Bring in a copy of the Apple store price, proof of eligibility for the edu pricing and they will match and give the $100. The SKU for the $100, BTW, is 2953989.

I did this with no problems - got the edu price and $100

Per BB Customer Support:

Thank you for your interest in purchasing an Apple Mac Book Pro from your local Best Buy store. I will be more than happy to answer your question about whether Best Buy is price matching Apple's current educational offer.

Best Buy is price matching Apple's offer with a $100 Best Buy gift card. I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they said in ur reply they will match the gift card not the discount.

i dunno when i went to best buy they would only do one :(

5. bigp9998 thread starter macrumors regular

The info I am getting here is exactly what I have been hearing elsewhere--that it depends on the specific store. Luckily there are a few different Best Buys in my city and I don't mind driving around until I find one that will give me the deal. I agree that BB customer service is horrid and I would really rather not give them my business, but I'll do what I have to in order to get the best deal. I'll be spending the $100 on very low-margin products anyway so they might even end up losing money on me in the long run.

Thanks to both of you for your experiences.

6. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Is there a Microcenter near you? They have great prices on MBPs.

I got the base 13" MBP for $999 (price on Apple.com WITH edu disc = $1099, plus the $100 giftcard); only catch is you have to go to the store to get it (no shipping).

7. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

It may be store specific - mine did both. They even had a sheet outlining what to do and what SKUs to use.

I guess they interpreted the:

"Best Buy is price matching Apple's offer with a $100 Best Buy gift card."

as price matching and giving the GC. Other stores may not or may not know they can do that.

If you didn't get both, I'd contact BB Customer Service via their web page and ask for a refund - the response I got was from corporate so the policy should be applied uniformly (though it may not be). Never hurts to ask; I hope they take care of you.

8. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I was told by both of our local stores that they would match one or the other but not both. It is in their price match policy that you can't "double dip" on discounts, for lack of a better way to put it. It's in the small print. If there are stores out there that are matching both, they are violating Best Buy policies.

I don't understand all the animosity toward the $100 app store card. I got iWork for free and still had some left to get some music on iTunes and some apps for my phone. Plus, in addition to the $100 discount on the computer and the $100 gift card, you can also get a $100 rebate on a printer, if you need a printer. I didn't take advantage of that one because I have a good printer, but it is still a really good deal.

9. bigp9998 thread starter macrumors regular

I think "double dipping" is more like trying to use discounts from two different stores at the same time. In this case, they would be directly matching Apple's own offer, not adding to it or applying two unrelated promos. [I know you are just repeating what they told you, I'm just practicing for when I try to convince my local store.]

As for the App Store card, I already have Office, don't use iTunes for music, and don't have an iPhone (though I wish I did.) Software and digital goods are increasingly losing their monetary value for my generation, for better or for worse. We just don't value them like we do tangible goods.

I do like the MicroCenter idea! though it would involve me travelling out to the suburban wastelands and battling SUV-driving soccer moms.

10. cnixon macrumors member

I bought a new MBP from my local BB a couple weeks ago.

They will honor both the Education Discount and the $100 gift card.

11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

For me, the Apple card would have been fine but since BB matched their price and card offer, gave me 18 months same as cash and reward zone points it comes out to a better deal for me.

Given BB is an authorized Apple retailer (and a rather large one) I wouldn't be surprised if they had a price protection deal with Apple that gives them credit for any sales made that match Apple's offer; or some other cash support from Apple.

12. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I had two different Best Buy stores refuse to honor both $100 discount and $100 gift card. Both stores even showed me in writing where they had specific orders from their regional manager to not give both discounts. Maybe it's different between regions but two different stores that are about a half hour apart here in Asheville would not give me both discounts. With what I spent, it wouldn't have been worth it even with Reward Zone points to buy it at BB.

Of course, the advantage that I got in addition to getting both discounts was that I got to go to an Apple Store! I had never been to one before because the closest one to me is over an hour away. Because I didn't want to wait for it to come in the mail and wanted to be able to open it up in the store before taking it home with me, I went to that closest Apple Store. I will probably go back because it really is a great store with awesome customer service! It just wish they would put one here in Asheville.

13. schizbomb macrumors 6502

When my girlfriend was looking to get the 13" we asked Best Buy if they would honor the discount and gift card, and they said yes, as long as we showed she was eligible for the educational discount.

This was in San Antonio, TX.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

go to the apple store, better customer service in both buying and if u ever have problems.